Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Provera  (Read 5729 times)

Meeka

Provera
« on: November 21, 2013, 04:28:07 PM »

Ive been to see my Gynae, one thing I wanted to discuss was that I hadn't had a bleed for the last two months on Utrogestan.   I was taking  100mg for just seven days which is supposed to produce a scanty bleed.   I expected that the dose would be merely increased but instead I am to try Provera 5mg for seven days.   I am a bit concerned because I think this progesterone may have more side effects.   Has anyone any experience with it?

Many Thanks

Hurdity

Re: Provera
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 05:39:59 PM »

Hi Meeka

I think we've had discussions before about Utrogestan? That is a very low amount since the licensed dose (admittedly used orally) is 200 mg for 12 days so I can see why you might not get a bleed even if using vaginally - and of course it is directly related to the amount of oestrogen you have too - I can't remember what dose/mode of delivery you are having?

I have no experience of Provera - but it is a synthetic progestogen and as such if you are sensitive to progestogens or intolerant to them this may well affect you.

Did the doctor not suggest increasing the dose of Utrogestan - either but increasing the number of days or doubling the dose or has this caused you problems in the past?

Also not sure how long you have been on HRT and how old you are?

The only answer is try it and see, but that would not have been my choice - although I imagine there are reasons for this eg progestogen problems as above. If you really are opposed to it then definitely try the above ie take 100 mg for longer (are you using it vaginally) or double the dose.

Also did the gynae not book you for a scan to check the thickness of the lining - because if it was thickening then this would suggest inadequate progesterone?

Hurdity x

Meeka

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 12:11:39 PM »

Hi Hurdity,
Thanks for the reply, I sent you a pm but not sure if I sent it correctly as it isn't showing in my sent box?

I am 50 and perimenopausal.    I agree that trying a higher and longer dose of the utrogestan was what I expected but no, I am to try to provera.

My gynae said that it takes years for the lining thickness  to become a problem and said I had no need to worry  .....I have been taking hrt for 12 months.

I may just try taking the utrogestan for longer as I am taking it now and have taken the liberty of trying 200mg instead of the 100mg, yes I take it vaginally.

May I ask how much utrogestan and for how long you take it?  It suits me as I have had no real problem with it and enjoy sleeping well when I use it....I think I would prefer to keep using utrogestan.    I could always e-mail the gynae and ask him if its ok if I do that but I think he just wanted me to try the prevera first.

Cassie

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 03:42:35 PM »

I was using the 100mg for 7 days and had to go up to 12 days as my lining was getting too thick, the standard for 200mg is 12 days, so I would certainly try that before going onto the synthetic stuff, you should definitely get a bleed, what dosage of Oestrogen are you on?

Meeka

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 04:44:38 PM »

Hi Cassie,

I am on 2 pumps of Oestrogel.   Yes I agree with you....I was surprised that I wasn't advised to do that first.  I sent you a PM.

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 06:16:02 PM »

Hi Meeka
Thanks - got the pm and have replied - sorry - been out all day and busy just now! Just got the message in my e-mails....

Hurdity x

andius

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 06:34:29 PM »

My doctor told me progesterone (utro) is a relatively weak progestin, suitable for low-med dose patches.  Provera has been used for many years and is stronger.  I suspect that is why your doctor recommended it.
Also, progesterone (micronized) has only in the last decade or so been popular in HRT, so many doctors are more confident using provera.

That said, if utro can work for longer days cycle, why not try it?

Meeka

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 07:19:30 PM »

Thanks andius,

Yeh, I was only taking utrogestan 100mg for 7 days so I just thought either increasing the dose or length of days was the first obvious route .

Maybe Provera is worth a try.....I will see

Meeka

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 02:48:00 PM »

Just an update........I decided to try the Utrogestan for another month but this time I used 200mg vaginally for 12 days .  I felt fine doing this, only thing I noticed was on the 11th day something really annoying happened at work and boy did it make me feel angry.  I hadn't stopped using the Utrogestan at this stage so I guess it wasn't PMS?  It was something pretty bad so maybe I was just right to feel angry! 

Anyway, I seem to be having a decent bleed this time, only started Monday but seems to be pretty normal so far.   I am pleased that at least I know if I take the utrogestan at a higher dose for more days it will produce a bleed for me.   I am unsure if I will try the Provera now......I may get the prescription and just see how it suits me.

Suz

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 10:15:45 PM »

Hi Meeka,
I have used Provera for 3 months.
The first 2 had been v difficult during the prog stage but 3rd month was no probs.
1st.month v v bad mood, depression, short temper and inability to function effectively and sm cramping.
2nd month more or less same as month1.

3rd month..not a problem. Skin issues the only prob, but no weight gain, happy and all good.
The only different thing I have done is have been taking a v high dose of vit D, as I was defficient.
In my last follow up have been told to change as my skin issues is a concern and dr thinks due to being extremely sensitive to prog. So I am to try Mirena now..but that worries me.

I hope it helps.
One thing i would say, try and persevere for at least the min period, afterwards u will know if its worth persevering longer.
I had feelings of anxiety with every change.
At my age(early meno), giving up so much of my own body and test dif drugs...BIG ISSUE..but if I dont try my quality of life would b seriously jeopardised..so give it a go and see where that takes you.
Suz x

ellie66

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 12:20:22 AM »

Suz I had the mirena for contraception about 10 years ago. I am progesteron sensitive too and it was dreadful. I had spots, was constantly spotting, full range of PMS symptoms. Even though I was not peri they prescribed sandrena gel to try to counteract the side effects of the mirena.

Never again I felt 1000% within a week of it being removed. A truly dreadful thing.

For HRT I was on Femston 2/10mg but now have (this week) switched to Oestrogel and Utrogestan as my peri menopausal symptoms where returning. Femston was fine at first but now I am further into the menopause I need a change. 

Cassie

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 02:59:50 PM »

I would stick with the Utro if it is doing its thing Meeka, perhaps you can persuade your Dr to do a scan next time you see him/her and see how the uterine lining is looking. This will give you a pretty good idea if you hare getting enough Progesterone.

Suz

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2013, 09:55:20 PM »

Hi Ellie,

Thanks for that.
I worked myself right up in the 'dread' of Mirena that even started with panic attacks now.
Someone who used to be very determined and on the go, turned into a right mess now! Don't get me wrong, I am still on the go and do everything and push through all anxiety, but new meds scare the hell out of me now.
My family suffer , my colleagues too ( cause bless them, I get extremely narky) when different hormones are introduced.
Years ago I had a coil fitted, not Mirena, and it gave me a pelvic inflammation and I couldn't walk, let alone have sex, so that worries me even more, but dr said, I was prob just unlucky. Not sure, cause I remember dr telling me something about the neck of the uterus is in a strange position.
So I might give it a miss and just stick to my provera for now.
First thing is first, got to give estrodot a whirl...
Suz x