Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Anyone Else Sick of Being a Nervous Wreck?  (Read 18977 times)

Smokey

Re: Anyone Else Sick of Being a Nervous Wreck?
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2013, 06:50:40 PM »

Good luck for Friday Mags if you don't get any joy maybe ask to be referred to a menopause clinic, they are the experts.

mags

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2013, 09:21:28 AM »

Thanks for that Smokey- am having yet another bad day feeling low, crying and my anxiety is awful- I am just thankful that I am not working as there is no way I could hold down a job feeling this way.Thanks for the advice about the meno clinic-will ask the GP about it- many thanks again for  your kind reply-Magsxx

panda762

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2013, 11:38:18 AM »

I have a friend in her 60s who suffers what she calls 'collywobbles' and a woman she met on a bus ( :o) suggested 5-HTP. (Neither myself or my friend had ever heard of it before).

Long story short, she's been taking them for a month and feels much calmer (not sure if it's a placebo effect but if it helps.......)

Think you can get them from health food stores.

:)

Taz2

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2013, 09:50:24 PM »

It has been around for a while panda and many people have had success with it. There was a thread about it a while back http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,21456.msg320220.html#msg320220

Taz

panda762

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2013, 06:37:37 AM »

Thanks for the link Taz2 :)

Taz2

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2013, 07:54:11 AM »

Interesting stuff!

Taz

jo61

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2013, 09:03:27 AM »

can I tell you my recent experience with 5htp, I had read about them a long time ago and bought them online ,took them for about a week then chucked them in the drawer as you do, then sometime later got them out as they were pricey thought no harm trying again and have been taking them until they ran out. All summer I have been saying to hubby I feel different and my pain in my back and hips are much better ,his reply was it is the sunshine. I thought 5htp was ineffective so when they ran out wasn't bothered until about 3 days later the pain started again and the black mood returned , severe fatigue I couldn't work out was different then it clicked the only thing I had changed in my regime was 5htp so thought no harm in trying again. Ordered a different brand same strength and took them the next morning, at about 3am the following morning I was wide awake came downstairs and I could have cleaned my house from top to bottom and all day so much energy ,I felt alert I was hyper. When I read the label they should be taken at night . I don't know what happened but I definitely will be taking these from now on but I have decreased the dose . I don't know wether it was this particular brand or what

Taz2

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2013, 09:07:28 AM »

It's certainly an interesting drug and is often used to combat the effects of an MDMA comedown. It's part of the recreational drug users survival pack.

Taz

Rowan

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2013, 09:38:03 AM »

5HTP is derived from griffonia simplicifolia and it certainly interesting  Taz. I took a Herbal Course in the Nineties and this was one of the herbs discussed, actually the 5HTP is derived from the seeds.

I have tried it and made the same mistake too and took it at night and it made me wide awake and certainly did not make me sleep.

Make sure you take the pure extract.

http://www.healingwiseforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4721

jo61

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2013, 09:48:30 AM »

Silverlady
in your research have you found any known side effects.

Rowan

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2013, 10:06:04 AM »

Have a look at this jo61

http://naturalmedicinejournal.com/article_content.asp?edition=1&section=2&article=243

Don't forget that even non pharmaceuticals can have adverse effects.

honeybun

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2013, 10:22:08 AM »

Such an interesting article but one that makes you stop and think very hard about taking it.
Thanks SL. I don't think I would like to chance it in case of the side effects.

Honeyb
X

jo61

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2013, 10:46:26 AM »

Its typical just when I thought I had found something that works. I will just have to use in small doses,it cant be any worse than side effects of ADs or HRT. Thankyou
silverlady

honeybun

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2013, 11:08:45 AM »

AD's totally floored me. Perhaps if I had stuck it out the side effects would have gone but it's difficult when you are being sick and can't function at all.

I am currently taking St John's Wort which I know you are not supposed to on HRT. I did find some research that said it could reduce the effectiveness of both slightly but as it helps me then I am prepared to take the chance. So far so good as my anxiety is slightly more manageable. It's not a miracle but it's better than anything else I have tried. I also take a Beta blocker. I am not sure if that makes any difference but I keep on taking it.
It's difficult to find something that could help that does not have side effects of one kind or another. I have spent a fortune on alternative medicine which has done nothing at all.

Honeyb
X

Taz2

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2013, 11:10:38 AM »

It's been known about for a long time - well all the youngsters know about it anyway  :lol:

I'd never really thought that MDMA works on serotonin levels before but I suppose it must do if a serotonin booster makes you feel better when you are coming down from it. Food for thought.

Honeybun - my partner uses beta blockers as and when he feels anxious and he says they work. He hasn't needed one for a while though.

Taz x
Pages: 1 [2] 3