Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Got the exercise bug!  (Read 8019 times)

Greyhoundgal

Got the exercise bug!
« on: July 25, 2013, 12:25:05 PM »

Well, I never in my wildest imagination thought I'd be posting this :o  Some of you will remember that last year I was in quite a state with chronic back pain - had loads of tests and treatment and also attended a back pain clinic for 6 weeks.  After doing that and getting some prompting from some of the ladies on here I started doing Pilates once a week and it really made quite a difference.  So much so that I took out a gym membership and together with hubby have been going there twice a week while continuing with the Pilates.  I've now added a "legs, bums & tums" class to that, same night as Pilates so a 2 hour session altogether and tonight for the first time I've going to a callenetics class - never done one before but it was originally designed by an ex-ballet dancer with a back problem so it should be good for me.  I must admit I prefer classes to the actual gym but I'm getting to the stage now where I actually miss it if I don't go for some reason - who'd have thought?  I've also cut out all the bad things from my diet - chocolate, crisps & biscuits and am eating lots of salad and fruit - lost 6kgs in three weeks already so feeling quite chuffed about that  :)  My back pain has all but gone, still get an odd ache and pain but that's usually from the gym rather than it's original cause.  My posture is better and I generally feel much fitter and healthier - I wish I'd done all this years ago now.

So really, just wanted to say to everyone, it's never too late to start doing something and who knows?  You might just enjoy it  :)

kerrieann

Re: Got the exercise bug!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 12:56:21 PM »

hi i have just spoken to you in another post re the trochanteric bursitis, and it amazes me that you are doing all this  :)  i am 56 and feel 96 i can barely walk with the pain, and over the last year i must have gained a stone, it's been too painful to do anything much  :(
You give me hope that i can get out of this situation and  get mobile again.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 01:24:52 PM »

Good to hear that Greyhoundgal.  Pilates is very good I hear.  I haven't personally done it but I do yoga and they also offer Pilates at the same studio.  I have also had a chat to the Pilates teacher and she said 90% of her class come with back problems.  I understand, that like yoga,  it encourages good posture and suppleness and you listen to your own body and know when enough is enough and which movements are not so good for you.

I notice you have cut out biscuits, crisps etc.  I don't have those either now but I honestly believe giving up bread has been the best thing for myself and hubby. 

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 03:11:00 PM »

Kerrieann you have my sympathies - there is nothing worse than being in constant pain :(  Don't rush into anything but as soon as you get the bursitis sorted have a go at something - I really can't praise Pilates highly enough.

PF - yes, the Pilates is amazing - when I first started I could hardly do any of it but over the last 6 months I've become more able.  It strengthens the core muscles which in turn help support things like a bad back for example - just wish someone had told me about it sooner!  I barely eat bread anyway - possibly two slices a week if that, it was the chocolate that was my main downfall (and wine) but have managed to cut both out.  I did allow myself a small treat last weekend and had two glasses of wine to wash down the bag of Minstrels ;)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 06:47:48 PM »

I cleared our treadmill on Wednesday morning ........... it will need dusting next week  ;)

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 08:05:40 AM »

I cleared our treadmill on Wednesday morning ........... it will need dusting next week  ;)

;D ;D ;D

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 04:39:16 PM »

:bounce:

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 05:17:02 PM »

Why do we need to bump all these threads CLKD. Surely just the new one is best and then we can start again.  :)

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 05:18:56 PM »

Saves space on the web and stops us repeating ourselves  ;)

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 05:23:30 PM »

But we do that all the time any way and it might put newbies off posting new threads if they think we have discussed it before.

Things come round time and time again when you have been here for a while and that's fine.

We all have something new to say.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 07:22:33 PM »

I dont' think I've said anything new for weeks  ::) ……… seems to be anxiety, anxiety, anxiety; shopping, shopping, shopping; mother etc.  ;)

Ju Ju

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 04:34:26 PM »

Back to exercise.... I started yoga this year age 60 and I too wish I had started years ago. I beginning to enjoy it now and the time flies past. I can proudly stand on one leg without wobbling and put my body into weird positions! It feels good. Maybe I'll do something a bit more energetic in the future.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2014, 04:54:48 PM »

In the 1980s I worked for an Orthopod who recommended Yoga …….. I thought he was 'way out' but many people have benefitted.  I danced until I was 18  ::) but these days, brain won't get the steps to my feet in time  :D

If I had a heated pool immediately off our bedroom …….   :whist:

bramble

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2014, 05:33:03 PM »

I have started doing a Pilates class. Hope to do it twice a week. Went to a new class today - Mind and Balance - supposed to be a x between yoga, pilates and Tai Chi. Could not even do the warm up exercises! Talk about hard core yoga! Need to be a lot fitter and stronger before I try this again. Left after 15 mins! Should have known it was out of my league when I went and found only 6 in the class, 2 of them blokes!! Laughed all the way home!
Bramble

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2014, 06:01:36 PM »

;D  Tai chi then  ;)
Pages: [1] 2