Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Healthy eating?  (Read 12304 times)

dulciana

Re: Healthy eating?
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2017, 03:12:01 PM »

I've got a conscience about not drinking enough water.  So I think I'll start the ball rolling by getting some for my afternoon's teaching.....

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2017, 03:18:41 PM »

Don't forget that the body extracts liquids from the whole diet ...........  ;) drinking 2+ litres daily was pushed by the bottled water companies.  Urine should be straw coloured; any darker and we need more liquids, lighter and we are drinking too much.

A quarter of a pizza for lunch with home made chutney, stuffed now  :sigh:

babyjane

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2017, 03:22:10 PM »

I keep a 200ml glass of water on the table and have a couple of mouthfuls whenever I pass.  Usually get through 3 a day, more in summer.  This is in addition to my tea and coffee during the day and a camomile and spearmint tea in the evening.  Reckon I down about 1200ml a day as well as moisture in food. My body is happy with it anyway.

CLKD

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2017, 03:22:49 PM »

Himself has handed me a hot cuppa .......  :-* but I need a pee but I'm watching TV  ;D

babyjane

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2017, 03:27:48 PM »

roles reversed here, he is watching the last episode of Taboo and I am about to brew up, not sure if he needs a pee or not  ;) 

CLKD

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2017, 03:29:25 PM »

Been  ;D ..... watching Escape to the Country so can't afford to miss any of it!

babyjane

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2017, 03:37:56 PM »

pause button?  where are they today?

CLKD

« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2017, 03:38:29 PM »

around Bath, Wokey and Cheddar - bright sunshine, pretty properties .......

bramble

« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2017, 04:25:40 PM »

Just made a batch of home made marmalade yesterday. Can't beat it for taste!

CLKD

« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2017, 05:36:18 PM »

Apparently marmalade has 'gone out of fashion'  :o - not in this house it ain't, we have a lady locally who makes all types  ;)

babyjane

« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2017, 06:46:04 PM »

I wish Mary Berry would shout a bit louder and drown out the food police.  She really does eat all things in moderation and is a fan of sugar, salt and alcohol in her recipes.  The food police have sucked all the pleasure out of eating  :(

babyjane

« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2017, 07:07:03 PM »

I am reminded of a scene in the recent TV series called The Halcyon, set in WW2. A soldier brings his sweetheart an orange and she accepts it as though it was pure gold.  Nowadays we take food so much for granted.

CLKD

« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2017, 07:08:05 PM »

Not a waste if one has home composting ;-).  Our families have composted in the garden for nearly 150 years.

We did grow more of our own in the countryside though, all my family had 'patches' for veg. as well as fruit trees.  Fresh produce was bottled or canned if there was a glut.  Made into chutney.  Jam.  Home-made mince meat for Ch.mas.  Chickens, goats, pigs down the garden, the occasional access to goat.  Families would share a pig ........ milk delivered into a jug - how far do you want me to go back  ;D

I wouldn't cook, well I don't anyway; so would rely on canned stuff, frozen peas and Aunt Bettys Yorkshire puddings.  If it ain't quick I wouldn't consider it as I have to eat B4 I'm hungry and it's not always easy to judge.  Canned comes into it's own in a power cut as most can be eaten straight from the tin  ;).  Tinned foods were used in trifles (yuk) ...... well drained, I would drink the juice from the can. 

What we are rarely told is that pineapple can interact with some medications and should not be eaten on an empty stomach. 

Oh I so agree BJ!  Also, how many know about left-overs - bubble and squeak anyone  :D

babyjane

« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2017, 07:10:43 PM »

we always use up left overs in something else the next day.  We are on a budget and cannot afford to just throw out things unless they have been spoiled.

CLKD

« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2017, 07:16:39 PM »

We home compost.  Any milky products, even vanilla flavoured custard, goes into next doors'  :cat48: ..... how can a cat purr and lap at the same time  ;D.  Bits of fish skin and meat gristle goes the same way.  Cake goes the wild birds/cats. 

We had mashed spuds with the broccoli and venison - stuffed now  ::)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4