Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: groin pain radiating down left leg to foot - is it perimenopause?  (Read 9300 times)

JaneyLynn

Hello, feel a bit overwhelmed tbh, no-one really prepares you for menopause and at 43 I am nowhere ready for this journey!

I have been worrying a lot lately about the changes I have been experiencing, but trying to keep a level head and think sensibly that I am at an age where changes are going to come :(

I have always been regular as clockwork, 28 day cycles or thereabouts. Then over the last year they have been a bit more erratic, 20 days, 25 days, 33 days but still within the realms of normal. Then I went a whopping 52 days and my last 2 were both 41 days.

I have also been experiencing a dull ache in my groin area and lower back, I would think ah my period is coming, but no period. Lately I have had a near constant ache in my groin area which radiates down my inner left groin and thigh to the base of my foot. This has been going on for a few weeks now. I thought I had maybe pinched a nerve, but doing the dreaded google and I'm now worrying about cysts and all sorts!

I am becoming quite neurotic (another symptom lol)!

I don't take the pill (hubby and I always wished for a 3rd child), but thought maybe if I started that it might make my cycle more predictable. Also would quite like to discuss this groin pain with my GP as it doesn't seem to be clearing up on its own.

Any thoughts, advice words of wisdom would be so appreciated! I feel quite isolated also I don't have my mum to talk too and ask what to expect, and my BFF is 28 LOL!!!!

Big Love x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: groin pain radiating down left leg to foot - is it perimenopause?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 07:52:50 PM »

:welcomemm:  as oestrogen levels drop muscles may become lax = aches and pains. 

As oestrogen levels drop the body dries, internally and out ...... i.e. vagina, nostrils, deep in the ears, skin ....... also reflux can become a problem too.  For me it was my insteps: OK in the day but as soon as I took my socks off and stepped into the bubble bath they would both itch and I would wake in the night with one heel rubbing the itchy instep on the other foot!

All symptoms can be eased.  Some ladies find keeping a food/mood/symptom diary to chart what is happening. 

Browse round.  Make notes!

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 07:54:44 PM »

Hi JaneyLynn

:welcomemm: and the weird and wonderful world of menopausal symptoms....

If your periods are that erratic then it sounds like you are peri-menopausal despite your relatively young age - and if they have been regular in the past. You should think about going to the doctor both about your pains and also as you are under 45 a hormone test (FSH) is suggested in the NICE Guidelines. If peri-menopause is confirmed then it may well be that HRT is suggested. If you are still hoping to conceive  a late baby then obviously the Pill is not advised but there are HRT types that may help to regulate your cycle ( depending on how strong your underlying cycle is) - such as Femoston 1/10 or 2/10, without providing contraception. However you may just want to leave it to chance as there can be a late surge in fertility before the ovaries finally pack up (re egg production).

If you have come to terms with not having another child then yes the Pill will regulate your cycle completely and provide added oestrogen which is important if you go through early menopause. There are two types which are similar to HRT and gentler on the system ( the oestrogen is bio-identical with our own) - and these are ZOELY and QLAIRA. Some docs won't have heard of them though so you will need to gen up and have your arguments ready...

Good luck and let us know what you decide and how things progress . You will find plenty of help and support here :)

Hurdity x

JaneyLynn

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 01:29:13 PM »

Thank you everyone for your help  :)

Will phone for a GP appointment today, think I have been secretly hoping that this would all go away!

I have also noticed over the last few days that I have been getting a lot hotter and sweatier at times and I usually always feel the cold. At bedtime I have been throwing the covers off and sticking my leg out for some cold air.  :-\

Will keep you posted! So glad I found you all, couldn't do this alone.