General Discussion > New Members

New to HRT patches- help!

(1/3) > >>

Aqua07:
Hi new member here- I'm 41 and completely new to all things perimenopause and HRT. I have recently been prescribed the Evorel Conti patches- I am on my 3rd week (6th patch). I have a few questions about them but I am struggling to find the answers - hoping I can find some on here!

First question is about how smooth and "tight" the patch needs to remain on the skin? Whilst my patch has not fallen off completely I am finding it gets very wrinkled after every shower, night sweat episode or just when I generally move my body- I hear the matetial crinkle when I'm walking or turning over in bed. The edges also lift away in the shower (I don't touch them just the water) so the water gets right underneath the patch and makes it stay soggy for hours afterwards. Will this mean I will not get the proper absorption? I am very concerned about this and the first 2 weeks I was changing the patch daily post shower as I just didn't feel it could possibly benefit me peeling away from my skin. Obviously I can't continue doing this as I will run out but would like to know if it will still work in a heavily wrinkled condition?

Secondly, can it be covered by anything else such as Tegaderm to protect it in the shower? I have heard so many contradicting views over this and cannot find the answer on the NHS website. This is making me assume that people generally have not come across the same issues when wetting the patch and that it is me doing something wrong?

Thirdly- headaches and sore boobs- is this a common side effect from starting the patches? I am only on a very low dose which will be reviewed after 3 months.

Thank you in advance!

sheila99:
Once they've become unstuck they never stick down properly again so tour dose will be reduced. If you're going to tape it it's best to do itvas soon as you put the patch on. I don't  know the official answer but people do, i can't think of a reason not to. Heat can help too, you can press it down with the heel of your hand to make sure it's stuck down well. Sore boobs will usually settle as it's from the increase in oestrogen. Headaches may not, it might be that you need a different sort.

DottyD68:
I am on my second attempt with patches - Evorel conti  - as I don't seem to get on with utrogestan on a continuous basis. I exercise most days and get quite sweaty and first attempt they started peeling off and got soggy as you describe. This time around I am armed with Tegaderm dressings which I put over the patches. These have started to curl a little at the edges but the patch appears to have stayed in tact so far. I'm only on my 3rd patch so the jury is still out on whether these will be as effective as the gel.

Aqua07:

--- Quote from: sheila99 on February 17, 2024, 02:36:22 PM ---Once they've become unstuck they never stick down properly again so tour dose will be reduced. If you're going to tape it it's best to do itvas soon as you put the patch on. I don't  know the official answer but people do, i can't think of a reason not to. Heat can help too, you can press it down with the heel of your hand to make sure it's stuck down well. Sore boobs will usually settle as it's from the increase in oestrogen. Headaches may not, it might be that you need a different sort.

--- End quote ---

Hi Sheila99 thank you for your reply. I have only just found the time to respond back to you. I went to see a pharmacist for advice and she said the patches should NOT be covered unless for a very short period of time like in the shower. Even then it is better to use a loose band like cover rather than a plaster over the top as this will just pull the patch off anyway when removed.I have since tried this out with a Tegaderm and like she said it pulled off the whole thing. I contacted the manufacturer for advice and they said the same thing and could not add any advice outside the leaflet insert- not very helpful!

I use the heat of my hand every time I apply a patch and while this sticks it fully when dry it doesn't stop it curling away from my skin when it gets wet with water or sweat. I have therefore decided the patches are not right for me and asked Dr for tablet version instead- at least I know I'm getting the full dose and it will be less of a faff! Unfortunately though I have to wait until April for a review so I have to put up with these rubbish patches for another month- I've told them I'm going through double the quantity due to their lack of waterproofness but they seem happy to keep prescribing me more ! ( total waste of NHS money)

Aqua07:

--- Quote from: DottyD68 on February 17, 2024, 05:18:54 PM ---I am on my second attempt with patches - Evorel conti  - as I don't seem to get on with utrogestan on a continuous basis. I exercise most days and get quite sweaty and first attempt they started peeling off and got soggy as you describe. This time around I am armed with Tegaderm dressings which I put over the patches. These have started to curl a little at the edges but the patch appears to have stayed in tact so far. I'm only on my 3rd patch so the jury is still out on whether these will be as effective as the gel.

--- End quote ---

Hi DottyD68 thank you for your reply. May I ask you how you are getting on with the patches now? I am still having a nightmare with them they are absolutely useless! I saw a pharmacist who clarified that the patches should NOT be covered unless for a very short period of time like during a shower. So I tried Tegaderm over the top for showering and this just pulled the whole HRT patch off underneath afterwards anyway so I may as well not have bothered! The pharmacist said the evorel should be properly waterproof and should not stay soggy after wetting. She recommended I get in touch with the manufacturer which I did and they are going to contact me for more information as it could be a faulty batch. They also said they couldn't advise on covering them as they are not intended for covering.

I hope you are having more success than me. I don't fancy switching to a gel I would find this an even greater faff than applying patches. Im not keen on applying things to my skin. I have asked to go on tablets as I know exactly where I am with them and know I will be getting the full dose each time- with the patches half hanging off all the time I do wonder if I am getting any of the hormones I should as I still feel no better a month in. Got to wait another month before the Dr will see me again though which is a pain

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version