Menopause Discussion > Personal Experiences

Tell us how you have coped with FLUSHES

<< < (2/162) > >>

AnnieG:
HRT has worked for me - the hot flushes and night sweats disappeared in about 10 days - other symptoms have taken longer and I still get some of them with varying degrees of intensity depending on where my hormones are (my periods are still very erratic).  I am taking what is called bioidentical hrt - in my case Hormonin - which is the oestrogen element - and utrogestan - which is the progesterone. However latter not available on NHS (at least not in my  area) here so I have to have a private prescription but actually bought is in Paris where is it available and hugely cheaper than here. 

Scottie:
Hi  :)

When I first started getting hot flushes I actually quite liked them. It turned out I was hypothyroid and usually suffered horribly from the cold so warming up felt quite good.

Then I was put on the right medication for the thyroid. Hot flushes turned into heat intolerance and also became a lot more uncomfortable. Night sweats kicked in big time - except without nearly as much sweat as most because I also have something called Sjogren's Syndrome which dries me up too much. So I guess its nightime overheating every two hours or so. I haven't had a full nights sleep for about 3 years now.

Because of the autoimmune diseases I didn't want to take HRT. There are a lot of overlapping symptoms and I wanted to get menopause symptoms out of the way - and not prolong them. I thought I was getting through it. I haven't had a period for over two years now and the hot spells seemed to have been lessening. However, recently they're back with a vengeance. A frioend in another forum has suggested it might be autonomic neuropathy as now I just seem to heat up from the chest upwards and only my head really gets damp. On the other hand, i've just read that sweats can last for 15 years - so I'm no further forward.................
I sympathise with everyone going through them though.

Take care - Scottie  :)

Cazikins:
I have been on Femal for about 3 weeks now & they seem to have helped, I was getting about 6 - 7 hot flushes at night & about 10 during the day. I am also taking St Johns Wort for depression as I went to my doctor (a lady) & described all the signs of the menopause, flushes, unable to concentrate, tearful, tiredness etc & do you know what the ONLY thing she suggested??? anti-depressants... I could not believe it, I asked about HRT but she said there are too many risks, I was devastated to think I would be on anti-depressants for at least 6 months. I still have the prescription in my purse but really do not want to go down that road so I am trying the herbal products. This is my first posting on this site but you all see to be friendly girls. I lost my Mum last year & do not really have anyone to chat about it too, having said that I have a wonderful husband whio is always willing to give me a cuddle when I am feeling down.

AnnieG:
Dear Cazikins

Go and see another Dr -- I too had this response - again and again and again.  I feel so angry about it.  In the end I went to see someone privately - I was so desparate and decided that I'd rather have my health back than my savings. 

Best wishes

Annie

Cazikins:
Thanks Annie, when things get bad again I will see a different doctor, I just feel that I am wasting the doctors time when I go & that they dont really want to help - its like they are saying "for goodness sake just get on with it" - I get so angry but at the same time I dont have the energy to have a discussion with them - by the way what are you taking to help? what did your doctor suggest & does it work?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version