Menopause Discussion > Personal Experiences

Tell us how you have coped with FLUSHES

<< < (3/163) > >>

Cazikins:
Sorry Annie, just read a previous post from you regarding what you take...silly so & so I am.

juju:
Hi!I'm 52 and had hot flushes for three years...night sweats for 5 years.No periods for 2 years.I tried everything I could get hold of,all the herbal treatments cost me a fortune....stopped smoking not because of flushes but it is supposed to make them worse...didnt help but I havent had a fag for almost 11 months.Tried breathing slowly with the flush...couldnt keep it up,thought i would explode!If I got one night where I could sleep more than a couple of hours and then not have sweat after sweat.Awful.Finally went back to doctor and tried HRT,Kliovance.It worked wonderfully apart from I kept having breakthrough bleeds.So now am trying Kliofem.I was half mad too much of the time and my quality of life had deteriated so much that my total distrust of HRT didnt seem to matter anymore.Its worked for me and I am extremely grateful.It wouldnt be so bad if i could have seen any kind of hope of the flushes stopping,I couldnt have gone on much longer.

Ninfapaola:
I'm 51 and started with hot flushes about 6 months ago.  However about 3 months ago they became almost unbearable - I was getting them about every 20mins or so and they seem to last for ages.

I started to take Menopace about 2 months ago and they have all but disappeared.  I get the odd one every so often but it is only mild.  I don't know whether this is a co-incidence or it's the Menopace working and I don't know if they'll return with a vengence.  I suppose only time will tell.

poppyrose:

Hi Cazikins  :)

Sorry to hear you are going through the mill at the moment. (Know how that feels)

Was really interested in reading about the femal, was wondering how would you gauge the reduction of the flushes/sweats since you commenced on it and how long it was before you noticed a difference?

I see you got one of those really sympathetic female doctors (LOL)  ;D Don't worry her words will come back to haunt her one day, probably when she has just suffered her umpteenth night sweat!  >:D

Well of course there are drawbacks to HRT, but these need to be kept in context and of course each person presenting is unique and has a unique medical history as to if one should or indeed should not take HRT. To just write it off like this doesn't seem particularly helpful, maybe you can see another doctor in the practice? Is this possible?

All the symptoms you have talked about can be part and parcel of menopause. I agree with you about the antidepressants, if they do not feel right for you at this stage then if I were you then I would hold off from taking them. You do not mention which anti-D's you have been prescribed, but just like HRT and just like any other prescribed medication you can get unwanted side effects from them.
If it is of any consolation I cannot take HRT due to controlled hypertension and a couple of other conditions I have and I have managed to get through this past couple of years without it and apart from some stress in my life at the moment and these flaming flushes and insomnia, then I do  feel a lot stronger than I did and certainly am much improved on where I was 18 months ago. So please don't despair it *does* get better. I am so sorry to hear about your mum and know how much this can effect you, but I want to reassure you here also that this does get easier too, oh of course you never stop remembering (but why would you?) and they crop up in your mind at odd times, but the pain of loss gets easier and then you gradually begin to realise that the memories are happy and this in itself helps us to get over the physical loss. I have a photo of my parents on my mantle piece and I talked to her, I talk to her when I am sad, when I am worried, when I am happy, I tell her off for not being here to help me with her grandchildren, I have a small vase and put flowers in it for her and my dad, you may think I am barking but all of this really does help. My partner He Who Must Be Obeyed (HWMBO for short LOL) is quite used to me doing this and thinks it is quite normal. LOL

You are going to be just fine Cazikins, honestly you are ,just remember you are NOT alone, NOT going mad and that you always have a place to come to to talk, laugh or let off steam..here... with us at anytime you feel like it and it sounds like you have a really lovely caring husband which is fantastic. You *will* get through this, honestly you will, we *all* will, meanwhile we all have each to help us through.  :)

Hi Ju ju,  :) So glad you are now beginning to feel better on HRT, I think this is so important that the positives of HRT are also spoken about as well as the negatives. Knowledge is power and the more we know about something the better able we are to make an informed decision for our-self.

Onwards and Upwards ladies  :) :) :)

Love Pops xxx  ;D ;D ;D

lucknowmom:
My way of trying to control the flushes is eliminating all caffeine (giving up chocolates was so difficult for me!), exercising on a regular basis, dressing with layers of cotton clothes instead of one heavier sweater, wearing clothes not too close or tight  to the neck, not drinking hot drinks or hot soups too quickly or too late in the day (I find they are fine at lunch time but I can not have soup with supper or flushes are sure to follow, not sure if this is because my body is more tired as the day progresses or what, but I find this helps me).

I also find that eating larger meals brings the flushes back so I try to eat 4 or 5 smaller meals through my day (one meal might be a glass of milk with a banana, another meal could be a piece of whole wheat bread with homemade jam, etc.)  Keeps my blood sugar leveled and less flushes that way.

I keep a fan on low speed on my side of the bed, keeps air moving around my body and also helps me get to sleep by covering noises (the constant humming of the fan is somewhat soothing when I can not sleep)
I only use cotton bedsheets and wash them every day so they always feel fresh and inviting at bedtime.
I live in Canada so for quite a few months of the year, I can not sleep with a window opened as snow comes in, but otherwise, I find fresh air also helps a lot.

I wash completely with a cool washcloth before bed but I do not dry my body so I feel quite refreshed before trying to fall asleep.  Night sweats are worse so I do all I can to minimize those.

I do not drink any alcohol nor do I smoke but I know my 2 sisters have both found their flushes greatly diminished when they stopped smoking and when they do not drink.  (they have recently come out the other side of their meno journey and survived it all!!!)

I try not to exercise past 4:00 PM or I get more flushes.  I do not eat anything at all after 7:00 PM and that helps too.  Whenever we have company and I vary my routine and eat after 7, or eat more, or eat spicy foods, I always have more flushes.  I try sticking to drinking water only in the evening (but then I have to pee all night!!!)   :P

I have noticed that the week I should be having a period (I don't have them all the time anymore), I have more flushes, so by keeping track on a calendar, it makes it easier for me to not cheat on what I have found works for me.

Best wishes everyone.

Claire in Canada  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version