Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Decorating  (Read 6278 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Decorating
« on: February 14, 2014, 08:15:38 PM »

At last we are really getting stuck in!

Do you keep the same colour on the walls throughout ……. I looked at a property for sale in our village today and all the rooms are bl/white with red to break the monochrome  :o ………. even the bathroom is bl/white/grey with red towels.

We have variations of yellow throughout the reception rooms, hall/landing are turquoise with cyan blue contrasts; our bedroom is 'lilac' on the walls against a dark blue carpet which may need replacing; bathroom is calming 'off white/ivory' with one bright red shower wall …….. lounge will get done later in the year as there is SO much to move  ::) so plenty of time to decide on whether to keep the walls yellow or ………. (green carpet which will be washed thoroughly)

How often do you change your flooring?  Curtains …………

Joyce

Re: Decorating
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 08:34:20 PM »

All our walls are pretty much the same, off white. Carpets & curtains are neutral. Only one bedroom slightly different with red curtains.

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 08:40:23 PM »

We have the same colour carpet throughout except for the kitchen and bathrooms which are slate and pine.
Our main colour on the walls is cream but I do have an accent wall in the living room and the bedroom.
The bathroom and shower room are tiled.
My daughter has a loft conversion room which she decorated herself. Pale pink on some walls and dark burgundy on two. It's very....ummmm striking  ;D

I like clean uncluttered lines and the warmth is brought by cushions rugs and cuddly throws.

Honeyb
x

dulciana

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 08:54:12 PM »

It depends as well what the room's for, and particularly who uses it most.  You get their colour preferences coming out.   Accents work well, too, as you can still keep a neutral colour scheme and add "interest" to it. 

bramble

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 09:10:46 PM »

Although my cottage has high ceilings the windows are not that big. I made the mistake when I moved in of keeping the skirting boards etc dark wood and decorating as normal. Since then I have gone through the house and painted all the woodwork white and all the walls off white or a very pale colour. Have a raspberry pink bedroom wall as accent. Again I had dark carpets and have changed them all to either light wood or light carpet. House is now much brighter and away from the traditional cottagey feeling.

Bramble

Joyce

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 11:36:31 PM »

Occasionally have a nosey online at houses for sale. One near me has every room decorated red, black & white.

I'm trying, unsuccessfully, to persuade hubby to change most of our internal doors to white or light oak. We have dark doors throughout, excluding internal front door & living room door which are both varnished with glass. I feel it will make such a difference & will help to make it look more modern.

littleminnie

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 10:04:11 AM »

I like everything very contemporary and minimalist. I don't like 'traditional'  at all.  All our rooms have plain light walls, and the colours are added with cushions, duvet sets, curtains, throws. We only have 2 rooms that have one wall with colour on it. The lounge has a Harlequin wallpaper on one wall which I love.
The problem with having all the walls a colour is that colours soon go out of fashion so the room dates very easily.
I'll shut up now.

Joyce

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 10:41:04 AM »

Hubby won't let me do feature walls, either with wallpaper or paint.  We're similar, colour is added with accessories. So off white it will stay.

bramble

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 11:51:31 AM »

I'm trying, unsuccessfully, to persuade hubby to change most of our internal doors to white or light oak. We have dark doors throughout, excluding internal front door & living room door which are both varnished with glass. I feel it will make such a difference & will help to make it look more modern.

A few years ago I bought myself, for Christmas, 7 new internal doors with frosted glass in upper half. I waxed them mid oak and they made a huge difference. By this time all my woodwork had been painted white as well. It was a shame throwing the original doors out but they were stained dark oak colour and none of them shut properly due to the vagaries of wood over a hundred years.
Bramble

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 04:53:04 PM »

We had our internal doors changed 10 years ago.  Went to Poole for alook-see at Doors of Distinction and decided on something completely different to what we thought we wanted  ::) ………. they are pale wood made in Spain with brass effect handles.  They are only lightly stained as having paid about £100.00 for each plus fitting, I didn't want them too dark.  They really could do with being stained again ………. go for it!  New doors make a huge difference throughout: we had 7 downstairs and 8 upstairs to change.  The one into the front hall has glass panels; as does the one into the kitchen from the hall and the one from the kitchen into the utility room: the ones on the 2 wardrobes have glass panels too.  It allows lots of light through ……….

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2024, 03:29:20 PM »

Reading an article in the Sat papers apparently wall paper is back in fashion but OH what patterns  :o  :-X

Any1 else choosing the easier way of painting rather than papering?   We had new curtains in 3 rooms 18 months ago and are considering getting different blinds.  Nets will all need washing this Spring.  Otherwise, having had new wood effect flooring laid 12 months ago there is 1 tiny corner of wall to touch up.  Then we are done  ;D

Although I look at the two toilets and wonder  ???