Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Wood burning stoves - prompt reply  (Read 8704 times)

Dierdre

Re: Wood burning stoves - prompt reply
« Reply #75 on: January 26, 2024, 11:35:27 AM »

;D ;D ;D

Taz2

« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2024, 11:43:57 AM »

As my old Dad would have said: "Piffle!"  none of this article has Research to back up their claims.

I haven't read it all but the research links are here https://www.cleanairhub.org.uk/clean-air-information/air-pollution-health/why-is-air-pollution-damaging-to-people-s-health

I do wonder about the particulate stuff as I notice the layer of dust on our surfaces in the winter when we use the log burner. Does keep us toasty though and the cats love stretching out in front of it  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2024, 01:00:18 PM »

Dust is different to particulates  :-\.  We have dust all year round.  They are trying to push everyone to 'go electric'.  Eventually: like 'go to work on an egg' which was suddenly bad for us : this too will turn around.  And don't forget, this is an election year!

After all, people lived with coal/wood open fires for Centuries.  It was smog that killed so the Clean Air Act was brought in. 

SarahT

« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2024, 01:04:28 PM »

We just don't want oil anymore. Electricity seems the best option for us, a bit cleaner air wise as no pumping oil burner excess into the air.
Pros and cons for all types of heating really. But our wood burner is staying. Our cats are likely to move home otherwise .... Although they do love the underfloor heating. Too many beams means radiators are not a good option so we have worked out what is better for us and hope it helps a little to steer away from oil being a fossil fuel.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2024, 01:45:09 PM »

However, oil is still being drilled for, see last Sunday's Country File programme

In places of scientific interest ...... which the public have paid to preserve through taxes!

sheila99

« Reply #80 on: January 26, 2024, 01:52:25 PM »

Solar panels with battery storage? If anyone's tried it I'd be interested to know how it's worked out. It would be nice to ditch the electricity bills.

SarahT

« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2024, 01:55:02 PM »

Hence a reason we want to move away from such destructions! Just have to weigh up all the options available given an individual's financial circumstances and what would actually work in their house.

Sheila,cannot do solar here as our building is listed. Also I understand they need replacing after 25 years or so. But it is relatively early days so technology should make their life longer.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]