News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20

Author Topic: Noise  (Read 83858 times)

Lucky Stone

Re: Noise
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2010, 09:57:42 PM »

This has struck a chord!!  I used to work in a shop which was underneath a hairdressers and about twice a day, they put their washing machine on. When it spun ...  >:( it was awful and several times I had to run out into the street just to get away from it. Lorries outside with their engines idling over as well, just shot my nerves to shreds. I think it is definitely linked to anxiety. At church, we have taped music and sometimes certain notes go right through me, they seem to interfere with my insides which then go all shuegly (that's a great Scots word, means sort of unsteady).

And this is me who has always loved music loud and fast :) Big punk fan. Best band in the world? Green Day, and yet now there are days when I think, no, let's put on Radio 4 and listen to Womens' Hour.  :-\

Eddie

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2010, 09:27:38 AM »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Don't give in to radio 4. Shoogly or no!
Eddie. x

Bette

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2010, 09:39:50 AM »

Sorry but I LOVE Radio 4. Listen to it all the time - in the house and in the car. Bet you won't want to talk to me now!  ;D
Bixby x

Taz2

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2010, 09:45:26 AM »

I've listened to Radio 4 for as long as I can remember. I switch between 4, 1 and BBC 6 Music. Some of radio 4 is dull as far as I am concerned like the political programmes but there are so many interesting things on there from poetry to wildlife to dramas.

Now - don't get me started on Radio 2 - once I start listening to that I will know it's time to give up!

Taz  :sunny:

Eddie

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2010, 10:12:10 AM »

A-Ha, But the difference is, have you always enjoyed it, or are you changing because you feel you need to? The minute i start looking for kind of music my parents listened to SHOOT ME. Westsound or something. A few years back on a caravan site shower block they played Radio 4, i found it so irritating. Silly.

No Bix. Each to their own.

Eddie. x

Bette

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2010, 10:20:30 AM »

Listened to it for years. My childhood was spent listening to Radio 2, then changed to Radio 4 once I was on my own - can't remember exactly when. Think it's because my job is music-based so I don't listen to it for relaxation.
Bixby x

Taz2

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2010, 10:41:57 AM »

I love Radio 4 because there is so much to learn I think. Gathering information all the time - like a squirrel and its nuts! That reminds me there was a wildlife programme on the other night when I was on my way to the pub which was about migration - I must look it up on listen again.

I like new music better than past music - hate hearing people saying "I remember this from...."   and "this reminds me of when I was.." which is why Radio 2 probably annoys me. I did try listening to it for a week once. A lorry driver friend of mine was extolling the virtues and I was telling him about Radio 1 so for a week we swapped and listened to the other. He has never been the same since.... !

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2010, 10:58:02 AM »

Havne't listened to Radio1 for years, a devoted Radio2 fan except when presenters ask questions but don't listen to the answers because they want ot put their points over  :cuss: it's getting that way on TV too  >:(

I can hear Hubby cracking home grown hazel nuts from last year  ::) as I'm SICK of them laying around in a bowl uneaten  >:(

Lucky Stone

« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2010, 02:56:41 PM »

I usually listen to Radio 2 out of habit although I HATE most of the music - all that 1970s disco  :-X but I love my Jeremy Vine (now, stop throwing things everyone). Went over to Radio 1, where the music is better but find it a bit purile. No one station really suits me. I heard that prog on migration too. So I hop about a bit, but often just sit in silence. Bliss!

Margarett

« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2010, 03:19:07 PM »

I listen to radio a lot, including Radio 4, which of course has the best soap of them all.......The Archers!

Eddie

« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2010, 04:41:59 PM »

I usually listen to telly or Galaxy radio, until 4pm, then it's in house radio, lots of opposing views, interactive questions and unusual music, then i realise it's just the girls home from school.
Eddie. x

CLKD

« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2010, 08:01:16 AM »

People are outside keeping their vehicle engines going as it's cold ....... why they didn't stay at home in the warm is beyond my ken, they are waiting for the builders opposite with the on-going Saga of the new builds.  Builders are late.  So the sparkies are in their vehicles with engines running .......  >:(

Meg

« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2010, 09:07:25 PM »

Had a bad day today.Woke up pretty much as usual feeling queezy which is a real downer.  We have new neighbours after six years of relative peace.  The new ones are more into DIY and I had to go out to escape.  Work part-time from home but noise really really bugs me now, just need peace.  Went to a local country park to get away into a green space and blow me they were cutting down a tree.  Maybe I should join a nunnery.  Just cant cope with noise.

Meg

CLKD

« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2010, 07:27:42 AM »

Meg it's the same here.  Around 3.30 a.m. is the quietest, no traffic, no tree surgeons etc.; then by 6.30 it's started - people off to work, scraping ice from windscreens, leaving cars running to warm the insides, [illegal] banging the lids as they put rubbish into their dustbins  >:( ..... a Nunnery probably isn't quiet either with all that chanting, bell ringing, movement of gowns along cold floors as the Ladies scurry from one prayer spot to another  ;)

Taz2

« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2010, 08:08:53 AM »

Noise can be a nuisance - it it's there all the time then we do tend to screen it out but early morning noises can be very annoying. If you have to leave for work at 6.30 though, which a lot of people do, it is really difficult to defrost the car in a quiet way no matter how hard you try and I must admit that sometimes I have thrown some rubbish into my recycling bin at around 6 in the morning and it's only when it's on it's way to the bottom that I think "Whoops maybe not everyone is up"

Meg - hopefully your DIY neighbours are just trying to get the property round to how they want it. Quite often people do lots of "doing up" for the first few months and then stop.

Taz x
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20