Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 83

Author Topic: HRT--good or bad?  (Read 742189 times)

knorman

Re: HRT--good or bad?
« Reply #915 on: December 22, 2017, 08:41:34 AM »

I have been peri-meno for quite a few years and resisting HRT for about 14 months, having tried every natural product going, including a magnet in my knickers (kept getting attached to inanimate objects). By the time actual menopause hit this October (at 56), the night heats became even more intense and the sleep deprivation left me with no quality of life. I also have CFS/ME and it came to a point that I was unable to cope with trying to recover and go through the menopause at the same time. I wondered why I was putting myself through the misery and made my decision to take HRT, much to the relief of those around me.  Made the appointment with the Dr and was not going to leave without a prescription, the thought of the upside of HRT by this time outweighed the bad. Having been adamant for years that I was never going to take HRT, I have been so pleased with the results so far, that even though I have a side effect of burning, dry mouth, I am going to continue and hoping that my Dr finds an HRT that suits me better.  I look back over the last 14 months and wish fervently that I had gone on HRT sooner.  Its a very hard decision to make, but I think at some point, your body will make that decision for you. Your Dr will help you weigh up the pros and the cons after looking at your medical history. Good luck.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #916 on: December 22, 2017, 10:36:00 AM »

knorman - I do hope things settle for you.  I'm afraid like most things HRT is about finding the regime that gives the most benefits with the least side effects.  Dry mouth is a very unusual side effect and I would question whether that it is because of the HRT - are you using oral or transdermal HRT? You may be better on an HRT patch regime or Oesgrogel with separate progesterone - do look under TREATMENTS to find out more.

So many women struggle with the decision to use HRT, often believing it is a natural process and we should simply cope.  Many perceive using HRt as a sign of failure - I believe you are failing yourself and those around you, if you don't try anything that will improve your life.  A hundred years ago, you were lucky to get to 50(menopause is a relatively modern problem) and, if you were ‘well to do', you may have become an 'invalid', lying on the couch with the ‘vapours', or rushing around in an anxious state much like Mrs Bennet in Pride and Prejudice.

I think it is very important to keep an open mind about most things in life - never rule out anything - do research and make informed decisions - don't let myths, scaremongering or negative opinions ruin finding your quality of life. DG x

Judy M

« Reply #917 on: January 06, 2018, 05:51:04 PM »

Hello All,

Am over the moon to find this forum, I have so many questions and concerns. I'm 46 and only diagnosed with early onset but full menopause this past week after a couple months of horrendous symptoms and no periods for a few months. Am I alone in suddenly feeling very old and useless?? I've been researching the last few days too as I didn't really want to go on HRT but my Dr (who was lovely and really understanding of my shock and fears to be fair) said that I really should given my age and the osteoporosis risk. I'm sure he's right but the only 'positive' has been getting rid of periods which were always heavy and painful - and I'm on the HRT that causes them again. I think it's something to do with my age? & the fact that I was bleeding til a few months ago? but does anyone know why/what the difference between other types are? And are the periods I get likely to be as bad as before? I've only started the HRT a couple of days ago so I'm still wandering around in a tee shirt in the middle of winter (so embarrassing!) and waiting/hoping things will improve. Any advice gratefully received. Thanks  Judy

Linsey44

« Reply #918 on: January 06, 2018, 09:43:32 PM »

Hi Judy

This is a great forum, full of support and knowledgeable women,  there are lots of existing topics to read and easy to post a new topic if yiu have a specific question.  It will take time to navigate your way around. 

I was in peri meno since late 30's and had a surgical meno at 44.  As i also had a hysterectomy at 43 HRT was quite straightforward for me as i only need oestrogen and use oestrogel. 

It can defo be a shock for early meno as I felt none of my friends were at that stage and i associated menopause with much older women.  I can understand that you have reservations about using hrt but your gp is correct re the osteo risk and it also protects your heart.  My breast surgeon /gyna surgeon told me i need hrt despite having a faulty gene that gives me a high risk of certain cancers.

It might be an idea if you copied this post into new members or as a separate topic under meno discussion and more people will see it. 

Im unsure as to how your periods will be on hrt as i think it will be a withdrawal bleed there will be others who have experienced it.

Good luck

Linseyx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #919 on: January 06, 2018, 10:17:32 PM »

Hi and welcome Judy M

I'm afraid you do need a sequential HRT that gives a monthly bleed because you are still technically peri menopausal - once you are post meno then you can use a continuous HRt which should give a bleed free regime.  However many choose to stick with a sequi HRT as progesterone taken all the time ( this is conti HRT) can cause more side effects.  Post menopause is at least one year without a natural period or bleeding OR if you are over 53-54.
If you want a non bleed HRT regime now, then you could have a Mirena fitted and use oestrogen alongside separately as pills, patch or gel and this will usually result in no bleeding at all after the first few weeks. I found the Mirena with Oestrogel very good - a no hassle HRT regime.

Your periods with the HRT you have been given may not be too bad and may settle over time as the HRT takes control. I found these withdrawal bleeds quite painful but not heavy - again we are all different. Do look under TREATMENTS at the top of this page to get clued up not the various options.
What HRt have you been given?
Don't look for problems - we are all different so will respond differently to the various HRT types.

My meno started in my mid 30s, so I used HRT for 25 years and tried just about everything - early menopause is far more common than people think and at least these days we do have HRT to help protect our heart and bones for the long term.  Keep us posted. DG x
BTW do start your own post to get more feedback.

Judy M

« Reply #920 on: January 11, 2018, 03:30:39 PM »

Thanks so much for the positive and helpful replies ladies - a week down the line and I'm beginning to get my head around everything and settle on the HRT (Elleste Duet) save for an itchy rash on my legs that I'll have to mention to my GP. The flushes haven't subsided yet but I think I'm having less during the day and my head does feel a little clearer.
I'll take some time to navigate my way round as you suggest Linsey and attempt to start my own post too - thanks for the tips!  Judy xx

knorman

« Reply #921 on: January 14, 2018, 08:53:56 AM »

Hello Kpnuts I know you posted a long time ago and you may not be on the forum anymore.  As it is so long ago, I very much hope you are now through the other end.

I started HRT with Elleste Solo Duet conti.  Brilliant, but after three weeks and half weeks, I developed a burning, tingling tongue and lips and extremely dry mouth.  Have tried two other combinations since with the same result.  It seems to me that I am having an allergic reaction also. Apparently it is possible that oestrogen sets off histamine, which would explain the allergic reactions.  Did your problem ever get resolved?  I really want to take the HRT as I need it desperately, but I am beginning to give up hope of being able to take it.

knorman

« Reply #922 on: January 19, 2018, 07:00:08 AM »

Morning All

Dancing Girl, will now be trying the Oestrgel with the bio-identical progesterone. Waiting for the current dry, burning mouth and lips to subside and then will start the new course.  Here's fervently hoping! Good luck everyone else with your HRT, when you find what is right for you it is amazing. x

Emerald2017

« Reply #923 on: February 03, 2018, 07:21:34 PM »

Hi! I think that HRT is a necessity for primary ovarian failure and early menopause.
I diagnosed with early meno 6 months ago and I'm on hrt.
I'm 42 years old and I had too severe symptoms. I'm grateful for hrt, I'm on cyclo progynova and I'm not in UK.
I'm afraid for breast cancer risks but I feel that my health will be better on hrt than without. I follow my instinct and I do my check ups. I will stay on hrt the longer I can! 🌹

Heidi1

« Reply #924 on: February 09, 2018, 09:26:54 PM »

I have read (and recommend) the following two very helpful books: “Hysterectomy and HRT” (a medical pocketbook aimed at medical practitioners- but easy to follow) and “Screaming to be Heard - hormone connections women suspect and doctors ignore” by Elizabeth Vliet M.D.  I was only put on HRT 2 weeks after my surgery- and I wish it had been sooner as I'm still struggling to get my Oestrogen levels up. Struggling with anxiety (and blocked ears/post nasal issues) which comes and goes - but I hope and pray it will go soon!

Stephjkm

« Reply #925 on: February 10, 2018, 11:03:11 AM »

After struggling with irritability, moodiness, tearfulness etc for several years I started oestrogel, 2 pumps daily, a fortnight ago. I had a mirena iud fitted a year ago for flooding and heavy periods which is very effective.

On Thursday I had to attend a family funeral. Apart from for the obvious reasons, I was dreading this event as I just knew that I would not be able to control the tears and would be sobbing by the end (and I wasn't that close to the deceased). Well, I'm so pleased to say that the oestrogel is doing its stuff, even after only 2 weeks of treatment. Yes, it was very sad and there were a couple of times that I welled up but I was able to control it all. So so different from my life over the last 10 years. I cried uncontrollably throughout my whole wedding 10 years ago, maybe I should have been taking hrt then!

So, for me, HRT IS WONDERFUL!

jackie75

« Reply #926 on: February 27, 2018, 06:37:59 PM »

Hi Everyone,  Sorry I haven't posted for a while, but my dad has been in and out of hospital since my hysterectomy on the 19th December 2017.  The surgery went very well and was keyhole, with only four 5mm incisions.  I had no real discomfort post op and physically have recovered very well.  Although the histology came back endometrial endometrioid cancer Grade 1, 1A, well differentiated, which is low grade, the fear of recurrence is very disabling.  Also, I had an ultrasound of my neck yesterday, as I have been worried that I have post nasal drip and feel that my glands are up.  The sonographer said that the glands were ok, but he found some nodules on my thyroid, which require further investigation.  I understand these are quite common, particularly in women, but of course, I am beside myself with worry again, given the previous cancer diagnosis. 

Dancinggirl

« Reply #927 on: February 28, 2018, 09:34:58 AM »

Thanks for update Jackie - oh boy! Are you going through it right now. Do start your own own thread, so more ladies can offer support.
I hope you get all the right treatment and support from your doctors?
Keep us posted. DG x

Binks

« Reply #928 on: June 11, 2018, 08:07:20 PM »

Within two months my crippling arthritis had vanished and within 6 months I've been able to exercise and diet losing 2 1/2 stone

Dancinggirl

« Reply #929 on: June 11, 2018, 09:34:34 PM »

That is great Binks. A real success story. DG x
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 83