Menopause Discussion > All things menopause

HRT--good or bad?

(1/248) > >>

Dr. Heather Currie:
There's so much conflicting information these days about HRT. Tell us what you think--is it good or bad? My feeling is that for most people it's good when used appropriately and reviewed but here you can have your say!

marymouse:
I have only been taking hrt for a week and its had a dramatic effect on hot flushes and night sweats as well as perking up my sex drive!  I am taking Nuvelle so I will get a monthly bleed - this may well be when I will feel some side effects.
As to whether hrt is a good thing or not - I did some research and came to the conclusion that its a question of balancing out what I know I feel like now against what any future risks are. 

Libby Babe:
I have been taking Elleste Duet 1 mg for about 5 weeks now.  I had very good results initially as my hot flushes disappeared and I started sleeping better within a couple of weeks as well as feeling generally better in myself.  However, my problems started when I had my period which started on about day 3 of the second pack (which is what it said it should do).  I felt very low prior to this starting and am struggling to get back up again like I was.  I suppose because I hadn't had a period since last summer I had forgotten what it was like but I am disappointed that my feeling of general 'well being' has gone for the time being.

I also think that it is a matter of balancing what you feel now along with the possible risks in the future.  I had got to the point that I couldn't go on as I was, feeling so low, all of the time, that I thought it was worth a try.

I know I need to give it a few more months before making a fair decision but up to now I think generally it has been a good thing for me.

juju:
Great for me tho its taken 3 different types and quite a while to get it right.My problem was it was causing bleeds when I shouldnt have had them as my periods had been stopped for a couple of years when I started it.Has improved my life 1000%!Hot flushes gone,night sweats all but gone,mood swings vastly improved...normal life resumed!

Hot2Trot:
Well, what a day for starting this thread.

I am right now in the midst of weighing up what to do.  My gynaecologist has prescribed Oestradol valerate but I just cannot decide whether to take it.  He did a blood test and then rang me to say he had done a prescription for me.  We have had no discussion on the pros and cons and I have many doubts.

Reading the posts here, makes me more inclined to try.  My only problems are heat intolerance, poor sleeping and missing libido and I have been post menopausal for nearly four years.

Frankly I would do almost anything now to get my sex drive back so I am pretty much at a thinking point of nothing ventured nothing gained.

Like marymouse, I have tried to take a balanced picture of it all but as soon as I decide I should give it a try, I find a reason why I shouldn't.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version