Menopause Discussion > Other Health Discussion

Anti Depressants that don't affect eye pressure

(1/2) > >>

fiftyplus:
Hi ladies

Does anyone know of AD's that don't affect eye pressure?  It's just my eye pressure is borderline and they all seem to state that a possible side effect is an increase in eye pressure x

CLKD:
Hi!  who told you that?  I've been on ADs since 1988 and my pressure has been fine thus far.  I pay extra to have the special test ......

fiftyplus:
I came across it while on google:

Agents from several different classes of antidepressants (e.g. amitriptyline, imipramine, mianserin hydrochloride, paroxetine, fluoxetine, fluvoxamine, citalopram, escitalopram) have been reported to be associated with increased intraocular pressure and risk for glaucoma

I was given citalopram but decided not to take them after reading the above x

CLKD:
I wouldn't trust anything that I read on GOOGLE unless it's NHS site.  I suggest that you have your eye pressure checked B4 starting the Citalopram.  Which is worse, anxiety or worrying about something that may not apply to you?  Do u have a regular eye check up, if so ring the Company on Tuesday and ask the question.

Does the GOOGLE info have any references, Calls for Papers or Thesis references?  It may be very old hat or very little truth in the.  Also, who sponsored that: years ago British Sugar Company sponsored the 'chocolate is good for you' suggestion  ;D.  Well I already knew that chocolate is good for me  ;) 8).

Rather than worrying and with the risk of anxiety becoming worse, go for the test.  Discuss with a professional so that you are fully informed.  Let us know what you decide.   :tulips2:

groundhog:
Hi fiftyplus,

I also read this as I'm on Prozac.  I have an eye condition that requires steroid drops so I’m at risk of glaucoma  plus I have cataracts.  I stopped the anti depressant after reading about the eye connection and my mental health nosedived, I went to a very bad place.  The GP said he’s never known anyone to have these side effects from anti depressants.  It’s an extremely rare side effect - I’m back on the Prozac.  My ophthalmologist also said the same, he said he’s never come across anyone having such problems whilst on anti depressants.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version