Menopause Discussion > Postmenopause

Should I give up on the testosterone yet?

(1/3) > >>

applejack:
My libido died in February 2023 and nothing can resurrect it.  It went suddenly, like a switch, which was weird as I thought it would just tail off but whatever.

I've read quite a few threads on here regarding how testosterone has helped but I think I've pulled the unlucky bucket as it's not working for me.

I'm on an oestrogen implant and my oestradiol level has been at 430 for ages now, so pretty good.  It was about 93 four years ago, so that's great but it's not helped my libido either.

I've been on tostran since Christmas, so coming up for three months.  A lot of women on here get fruity again after a few weeks but no.  Nope.  Nada. Zilch for me.

My FAI was 4 a while back, when all was well, which seems pretty healthy.  it dropped to 2 and since being on tostran it's gone up to 3.1% which, again, seems healthy so what on earth?

I honestly never thought this would matter but it really does. It's making me feel more unhappy than I expected since I've never really been all that rampant but it's totally dead and actually makes me feel quite flat generally.

The sudden off switch coincided with having my second implant put in last Feb (the implant has lasted over a year which is quite unusual but saves me money!).  The two couldn't be linked, surely?  The oestrogen level is - good?

Joaniepat:
So you've been on it less than 3 months? I don't think that's necessarily long enough. I've seen several posts on another group saying that testosterone can be a slow burner and it can take several months to kick in. Maybe give it few months trial before you bin it.
JP x

applejack:
Thank you Joaniepat that’s cheered me up.

I mean, of course I only pay attention to those posts that say it works really quickly 😵‍💫

Is there a limit to how high you go? I’ve seen the recommendation for a fai of 5 max but some threads have said it’s not hard and fast. I’m already hairy so have no fear of that side of things 🤣

Joaniepat:
I'm not sure about how high you can go with the FAI, and these days the BMS recommends only looking at the total testosterone. They like to do the bloods to make sure you don't go beyond the "normal" female physiological range, but as ranges vary from one lab to another, I don't know where that leaves us. Perhaps other members can answer that one. As long as you stick to the recommended doses and don't develop androgenic side effects (don't whatever you do grow a willy 🤣) I would just wait it out for a few months longer. I hope it kicks in eventually, good luck!
JP x

Suziemc:
I'm with Joaniepat- give it another 3 months before giving up. I'm 6 months in, started getting "tingles" after a couple of months but my libido didn't announce its return with a big firework moment which is kind of what I was hoping for! I still only get the occasional tingle but we've learned to seize the moment!

My own testosterone level was still pretty low at the 3mth test that Newson do. Their 'normal' range shows on my results as:

Testosterone  nmol/L 0.5 - 2.6 L
Free Androgen Index  0.5 - 6.5

Hopefully you'll get your own 'tingle' or however it manifests for you!

Suzie

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version