General Discussion > New Members

Hello, newbie here

(1/1)

gwilwileth77:
Hello all you lovely women!

I have been lurking here for a while but I believe it's time to moan  ;D
I'm 46 and in perimenopause for sure.
I have loads of questions but the most burning one is: Is it normal to feel like you're dying every single day?!
I had a Mirena coil fitted last year, and have been spotting for months, didn't really do anything else. Since end of January I'm on elleste solo 2mg and it seems to be doing something mostly to my mental health (I think i am a bit calmer but have a very IDGAF attitude now). How do I know if they work?

I am trying to finish Uni and was fine up until last year, now I can't put a sentence together! My live long dream was to do a PhD but now I feel like I will barely be able to finish my undergraduate dissertation  :'( I also have ADHD which seems to be out of control now but still on waiting list to get official diagnosis through NHS (was diagnosed by educational psychologist through University).

Any suggestions, tips and tricks?

Sending positive vibes to all!

CLKD:
Keep posting  :D you'll fit right in  :welcomemm:  we talk about everything on here.

It may be that 2mg is a little low.  What were your periods actually up to? Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use.

R U in the UK?  Would U be able to follow through with your PhD from your BSc.?  It is handy to continue in order to keep up momentum, however: you could take a year out to get your diagnosis sorted in the mean time continue reading etc. towards further Courses.  [I typed a lot 8+ Degrees for students on an upright typewrite with Tip-ex - remember that  ;D.  I did 3 for DH  ::) ]

IDGAF ? means.  Ah, got it  ;D.  As I aged, I began not to take any crap from others  :whist:

gwilwileth77:
Thank you! I just googled "how hard is it to fail undergraduate dissertation "  ;D

I don't really know about the periods as after Mirena fitted it all went bonkers. Spotting for months. When started elleste solo it all stopped. So no period or anything resembling such since January. Although i felt like the one was coming 2 weeks ago. My PMS was so terrible before i couldn't cope for around 10 days each month.

As to keeping a journal... ADHD unfriendly solition :D as much as i want to do it i just know i won't keep ot up.

Want to write mine too CLKD? ;D

Oh, and yes, I'm in UK, Scotland to be precise.

CLKD:
Discipline Girl, Discipline  ;D.  As for PMT - I was advised to eat every 3 hours to stop that awful lurch when the body required energy.

And how easy might it be  :D.  What's the topic?

DottyD68:
Hi gwilwileth77,

I can really relate to your comment. I was (am?) a fit / healthy person until I started the menopause journey and started to encounter a huge array of wierd and not so wonderful symptoms which make me question my mortality on a daily basis. Sounds dramatic but it is true and very draining - I annoy myself with it all. Not helped by ailing parents and parents-in-law who have very real life-ending conditions which do not make me feel positive about the future..

I have developed an approach during the peri menopausal years....it is called "one day at a time". I have had to adopt this approach because I never know how I am going to feel. If I have a bad day I just think "it'll be better tomorrow". If I have a good day I think "Great, I've had a good day". It sounds very basic but it helps. It is a long way away from my "previous" life assuming everyday would be good (because I always seemed to feel good) and I'd plan lots of stuff ahead. I still plan but I give myself space to recover between activities/events and don't worry ahead until the day before an event. It has been hard to adjust to this as I used to have a pretty full-on diary and be spontaneous inbetween.

I have had a good week this week with multiple back to back social activities (which I don't usually do) which have all put me out of my comfort zone and I am pleased to say each have passed relatively easily. I put this down to my "daily" approach. At the beginning of the week it freaked me out looking at all the stuff I had on, but "one day at a time". Literally.

I caught up with an old university friend the other day. She is normally so vibrant, positive and energetic but she is in a similar position to me and it has taken it's toll. It was quite surprising and comforting to hear her say she just takes one day at a time these days.

I remember being totally overwhelmed with the amount of work I had to do in my final year at university (topped of with my dissertation). I was advised to break everything down into smaller chunks with target dates and this approach made everything seem more manageable for me. It was a lifelong lesson for me and this approach has helped me cope with life so far. I'm just doing it on a daily basis now. But that's ok.

Good luck. I think you will be fine X

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version