Menopause Discussion > Postmenopause

Hysteroscopy reassurance

(1/3) > >>

LosMos:
Just wanted to say, I had a hysteroscopy today and after sleepless nights all week, worrying about it, it was absolutely fine.

I know everyone is different but just thought I'd share my experience.

I'd read countless articles online about the procedure and I was terrified about how much it was going to hurt. I explained this to the nurse and Gyn Consultant that I saw today, and they were both lovely and put me under no pressure to go ahead if I didn't want to. I was offered either general anaesthetic (which would have meant coming back another day) or local. I decided to go ahead without either but under reassurance from the Gyn that he would stop at any point if it got to uncomfortable.

All I can say is that it was over and done so quickly and probably even less uncomfortable than my usual smear tests that I actually felt quite silly for even discussing the option of a GA for something so quick and relatively painless.

As I said, I know we are all different but to anyone like me, worrying yourself sick about it, it might just not be as bad as you imagined.

Ps. All clear, nothing sinister found

Nik2502:
Lucky you! I’m pleased you had a good experience but mine was horrific. I literally thought I was dying. The nurse held me down. It was barbaric.
I have now got PTSD as a result.
I do think the staff make the difference and if they explain everything then it lets you make an educated decision. 
Pleased you got the all clear x

LosMos:
So sorry you had a bad experience.

I have to say the Gyn was very good. He was male (I was unsure at first, as I thought I'd prefer a female) and also quite young (compared to me) but he absolutely put me at ease and said the last thing he wanted was for it to be a traumatic event.

Thanks. All clear result is good news but means I still don't have a diagnosis as to what's causing my symptoms.

Jules:
My mum had one and was in agony. I remember my sister having a colposcopy and finding it painful whereas I had one and didn't feel anything.  It's weird how our bodies react differently

Northerngirl:
I've had 2 before. First one I found very painful. Second recent one I had GA and found it much better even though I hate having anaesthetic.
Like Jules said we're all different. I think it depends on a lot of factors ie. Children/childbirth etc and our insides are all slightly different.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version