General Discussion > This 'n' That

Just want to talk to someone

(1/8) > >>

Dawnkelly1976:
Hi all. Just want to talk to someone. My son is 18. He’s just gone to New York with college for two weeks. Wow amazing most would say. But he hates it. I don’t know what to say or do. I can’t just jump in car and go and pick him up. I’m trying to reassure hi it’s just the first day amd probably tiredness and a bit of jet lag. But I feel so helpless. He’s my baby. Anyway thanks for listening x

Jules:
Ah, I remember feeling like that when mine went away on a field trip. He'd not made friends and had felt obliged to make numbers up. He was very reserved and not very practical and had anxiety.  I cried at the airport when he'd gone. My husband thought I was mad. Do you know though, problems cropped up and he dealt with them with help, he formed friendships and  he came home alive. It was the first of a few trips. Just reassure him that he'll find his feet and he'll remember it as an adventure and it will be fine. He will return home with stories.

Dawnkelly1976:
Thank you so much. My reasoning voice tells me he will be just fine and it’s only the first days. My mum voice wants to book him in the next flight. Sometimes I think it’s worse because we have phones and can be in contact all the time.

littleminnie:
Mine went to New York at 18 too.  I cried all the way home from the airport.  He rang up at night saying he hated it and couldn’t wait to come home.  Fast forward 48 hours and he rang up saying he loved New York and would definitely go again.

Joaniepat:
Not wishing to be too flippant, but the Allan Sherman novelty song from the 1960s, Hello Muddah, Hello Fadduh, here I am at Camp Granada .... comes to mind.
I'm with littleminnie and Jules on this, he'll be fine, and is probably not the only one in the school party calling home in this frame of mind. Chin up!
JP xx

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version