Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Differences in patch strength?  (Read 1274 times)

violetbat

Differences in patch strength?
« on: August 07, 2022, 11:59:28 AM »

For my first set of patches I was given 2 months worth of Evoral 100. This worked brilliantly. No irritation and symptoms completely controlled for the first time in years. Apparently the Everol was a sub for Estraderm which wasn’t in stock.
Next set of patches were Estraderm. The pharmacist told me they were exactly the same.
My body told me differently.
Within a week I noticed return of palpitations and anxiety. The patches kept unpeeling and re sticking, the skin underneath was itchy and irritated.
I went back and asked to be given Everol- which I thankfully got.
Looking at the labels on both Estraderm and Everol there are differences in numbers.
Both have the same 24 hour release of Estraderm if 100 micrograms BUT the Estraderm has half of the total estradiol compared to the Everol. 3mg to 6.4.
I change the Everol every 4th day and that works really well.
Am I right in thinking that the Estraderm  would need to be changed for more frequently since it has half the total amount of estradiol and would be used up well before the four days were out?
Can anyone explain this?
Thanks

Flossieteacake

Re: Differences in patch strength?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2022, 12:02:08 PM »

Hello violetbat. Somebody made a post on here a few weeks back explaining the patches are made using different forms of oestrogen. I think one is yams and the other is something else. I am not sure if that helps at all. Hopefully somebody knowledgeable will post soon. :)

joziel

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2022, 03:21:10 PM »

violetbat...

What strength are the Evorel and Estraderm patches? Ie are they 25mcg, 50mcg, 75mcg or 100mcg??

If they are both 100mcg then they should be releasing 100mcg of estrogen into you every 24hrs. Whatever else they say... That's what the dosage is.

If the Estraderm didn't stick properly on you and kept unpeeling and resticking, that would have affected absorption - so you wouldn't have got the estrogen you needed and that explains why you got some symptoms back.

Perinowpost

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2022, 04:51:17 PM »

Violetbat can’t you just switch to evorel seeing as you liked it best? I’ve tried just about every type of hrt over the last 10 years and like evorel the most.

Let us know how you go on x

violetbat

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2022, 05:29:34 PM »

Thank you all.
I was given Everol 100 initially as a sub by the pharmacist. I had no idea of the brand the gp had prescribed because it was all done via e consult.
So when I went to get my next lot I got Estraderm which was what was originally prescribed. If that make sense?
I have not asked go to change this permanently to Everol.
I could work out why the total amount of estradiol in the Everol is twice that of Estraderm even though they release the same amount over 24 hours?

joziel

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2022, 06:08:28 PM »

Do they both get changed twice weekly? If one is changed every week, it would need twice as much...

Otherwise it might just be down to the reservoir system in the patch and how it works for that particular patch.

violetbat

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2022, 10:50:14 PM »

Do they both get changed twice weekly? If one is changed every week, it would need twice as much...

Otherwise it might just be down to the reservoir system in the patch and how it works for that particular patch.
Thanks
It must be someone to do with that.
I am very glad to be back on Everol. I was so stable on it. I’ve gone right back to agitated and anxious on the Estraderm😢.