Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Just started HRT and hot flushes worse  (Read 6475 times)

jem2108

• First Flush
Just started HRT and hot flushes worse
« on: August 04, 2022, 11:10:21 AM »

Hi all, newbie here! 
I'm 57 and 7 years post menopause.  Have recently started HRT (Evorel Conti patches) to help with brain fog, libido, irritability etc but also for osteoporosis. However, almost immediately I noticed my hot flushes have got worse than before, proper sweating ones which I haven't had in ages.  Has anyone else experienced this and does it eventually settle down?
I was a bit disheartened tbh - I was expecting I'd have to wait a while to see any improvements (2-3 months), but somehow wasn't expecting the existing symptoms to get worse, especially so quickly.  Of all the symptoms, the hot flushes actually seemed to be under control, just the odd one here and there with spicy food/coffee.
If I know it'll eventually get better I'll be happy to persevere.  I'm assuming it's an imbalance in the hormones and maybe my current dose just isn't right and needs tweaking?
Thanks for reading  :)

Marchlove

Re: Just started HRT and hot flushes worse
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2022, 12:24:08 PM »

Hi Jem

Welcome to the forum!

It’s actually fluctuating levels of estrogen that cause hot flushes. I found they settled once my body had adjusted.

You need to wait at least three months to see how things are before you think of doing any tweaking.

Keep a daily diary of symptoms so you can look back and see which things have improved or not.

X

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2022, 12:36:51 PM »

How long have you been on it? Flushes usually you within a couple of weeks. You've been without oestrogen for some years so it may have been better to start with a lower dose to make it easier for your body to adjust.

jem2108

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2022, 01:23:25 PM »

Thanks for the welcome and quick response!
I've only been on HRT for a couple of weeks  but I think I just wondered if this was an early sign that I was perhaps on the incorrect dose... sounds like I need to wait a while and let my body adjust.
Daily diary is a really good idea, will start that straight away.
Thanks for this reassurance it really helps. x