Menopause Discussion > All things menopause

Shaving /soap

(1/10) > >>

Weeloz:
Hi I have been prescribed vagirux  and q.v. Moisturiser/sop replacement by my gp . She also said I was to stop using soap and toilet wipes on my vagina and stop shaving. As it makes it dryer . Has anyone else been advised this. I feel so unclean as I am used to shaving and cleaning after urinating

Flossieteacake:
Hello Weeloz. Having pubic hair actually helps to protect the area and stop germs from entering. I used to remove the hair and found I was getting thrush. Once I stopped, the thrush reduced. I understand you can feel cleaner without the hair but hopefully in time you will get used to it. The hair really is not unhygienic. Using soap will likely cause Bacterial Vaginosis as you will be removing the good bacteria. The moisturiser the GP has given you will ensure you are fresh and clean.   :)

Ayesha:
For vaginal atrophy constant washing in that area is the worst thing you can do, your doctor is right.  It’s a new way of life that we have to adapt to, unfortunately.
It’s sad but we have to learn to do things differently, another luxury taken away from us in old age!  There are high end products out there for intimate washing but they are expensive, I will settle for Aqueous Cream for washing, I’ve got used to it and it doesn’t cause me any problems and that’s my priority.

I did notice shaving caused my Atrophy to be more severe, the hair is there to protect. As life goes on you will get used to your new routine!
I treated myself to some nice body creams instead, just to smell nice and fresh but kept well away from intimate areas.

Gnatty:
I thought it was only youngsters who shaved away all their public hair. I am obviously way behind the times!!

jaypo:
Oh I'm with Weeloz,can't stand being all floofy down below  :o I never use soap though,always a gentle moisturising shower cream,like Simple etc

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version