Menopause Discussion > Postmenopause

Early and Late postmeno & Oestrogen

(1/2) > >>

KarineT:
Hello,

I"ve read somewhere that the ovaries continue to produce oestrogen for another 1 to 2 years in early postmeno women. Is it androgen that is produced by the ovaries at this time and it gets converted into oestrogen?  In late postmeno women, apparently, it's the hormone called estrone, another form of oestrogen, produced
by the adrenal glands and fatty tissue.  Does this mean that, when oestrogen is no longer being produced by the ovaries,  late postmeno women are more likely to see their symptoms increase? What is considered early postmeno?  Is it between 1 and 3 years after the last period or more?

Thanks

Marchlove:
Quick reply to your great new thread.

In answer to you first 2 questions and one point, from what I’ve read, yes this is correct.
Also, from what I’ve read, it’s estrone, produced in the adrenals, that cause many symptoms.
The adrenals are trying to compensate for lack of estradiol and estriol.
Bizarrely, today I discovered there is a fourth estrogen - E4! Which is in Stage 3 trials for MHT.

I don’t have any useful information to impart  of your last 2 questions, but lots of members do, so hopefully they will be along soon.

Great thread, thank you x

KarineT:
Thanks Marchlove.

I posted this because I think this could be the reason why some postmeno women see their symptoms increase.

Hopefully, it doesn't happen to everyone of us and I do hope that I fall in the category of women whose symotoms improve.  I will be 3 years postmeno in January 2023.

Marchlove:
Adrenals are key x

joziel:
I thought estrone was produced by body fat, which is why thinner women can suffer more - as they are not getting this (less good but still something) estrogen?

And also, the ovaries produce very very small amounts of estrogen during post-menopause allegedly. At least, according to Lara Briden. And androgens. It's one of the reasons she recommends keeping them where possible if having a hysterectomy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version