Menopause Discussion > Postmenopause

Coming off HRT

(1/1)

Den60:
Hi all just joined here... im 62 had total hysterectomy 20 years ago and was on HRT until Jan this year .... diagnosed with DCIS (pre invasive breast cancer ) so had to come off HRT as lump had oestrogen positive receptors...... advised to wean off which I have .... now suffering with hot flushes etc ... rang GP as felt low she prescribed sertraline! Which I decided not to take as dont want to wean off another med .... breast issue has continued now had 2 lumpectomys followed by mammoplasty now awaiting radiotherapy..... I just don't know what to take to ease my symptoms everything I read seems to say different things ... currently trying sage.... any advice greatly recieved cheers

Marchlove:
Hi Den60

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear of your cancer issues, you’ve obviously been through a tough time and it’s understandable that you are searching for relief from your symptoms.

I’ve not been in this situation myself but some women take progesterone only for menopausal symptoms and I believe it’s fine to take Vagifem for VA if you’ve had breast cancer.

In the states women have testosterone implants with an aromatase inhibitor to stop the testosterone converting to estrogen. I believe there are a couple of clinics in London who do this.

If you don’t get many replies to this thread, it might help starting a new one called ‘Breast cancer and HRT’.

Best of luck xx

Dotty:
Have a look at the book “Oestrogen Matters” by  Avrum Bluming and look up Dr Louise Newson on breast cancer and taking hrt. X

joziel:
I agree, Estrogen Matters (book) by Bluming is great. Also the Dr Louise Newson podcast has several episodes on bc and HRT use, analysing all the data we have to date. Search back through previous episodes. You should know that it's a decision you should make, weighing up the pros and the cons and the evidence. Don't feel that you just can't even consider it. Although you may have to complete your treatment first, before going on it. (I think Newson Health ask you to have completed treatment X weeks or months before seeing them for HRT.)

By the way, even if you don't want to take systemic HRT, it is officially safe to keep taking vaginal HRT (Vagifem and Ovestin) and you probably should do that, just to prevent vaginal atrophy from developing without estrogen. (Easier to prevent than to treat.) This is totally safe for women with a history of bc - my mum had estrogen positive bc and didn't take any vaginal estrogen and now has a vaginal prolapse, probably made much more likely due to not using regular local estrogen up there. She went to her GP to be diagnosed with the prolapse and her GP gave her the Vagifem pessaries and said they are considered totally safe for women with estrogen positive bc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version