Menopause Discussion > Postmenopause

My mother - 81-year old - on HRT and bleeding

(1/7) > >>

Cocobra:
Dear All,

I wonder whether in this post-menopausal section, anyone can share their views on something: my mum, 81 year old on HRT due to her osteoporosis, has had 10 days of spotting and three days ago was a heavy vaginal bleeding for a day. She immediately rang her gynaecologist (we're in Italy) and she's having an internal scan on Wednesday next week. I'm extremely worried, but am also trying to keep her calm. Does anyone know if at that age, polyps/fibroids can cause this much bleeding? Or should we begin to worry something is seriously wrong? Has anyone had any such experiences with relatives?

Warmest thanks for any feedback or experiences you may want to share. Wishing you a nice evening!

CLKD:
Italy - now there's a place to visit!  How is your Health Care there?

Any unexpected bleeding should be investigated so well done that she is getting a scan.  Does she have any other bothersome symptoms, i.e. weight loss ?  Aches and pains in the bones?  It could be a fibroid .........

Let us know how she gets on!

laszla:
Cocobra, can you tell us what HRT your mother is taking and what her bleeding patterns normally are like - I assume she's on a continuous rather than a sequential regime?

CLKD - Italy's national health system is generally excellent!

CLKD:
As is the scenery.  ;)

Cocobra - do make a list of concerns to discuss with the medics.!

Cocobra:
Dear both, thanks so much for your help and views. She has not lost any weight as far as I can see, but she said she felt swollen in the lower belly: hard to tell since she’s got her own belly fat!
She’s on Femoston and I think it’s continuous. But she no longer has routine bleeding so that is what is worrying. Her gynaecologist is on vacation and most others are. Luckily we have not far from her house an A&E for gynaecology and obstetrics so we’ll go there tomorrow morning. I tried to convince her to go today but the bleeding is now very sparse and she’s half thinking this can wait till tomorrow… anyway, with 40 degrees in the afternoon probably best to go in the morning!
And yes, the Italian nhs is luxurious compared to the uk: as an Italian who’s now lived in London for a little over 10 years, I can confirm this. And even privately an ultrasound is half the price of what you are charged in the uk, but then in the uk before you know it you’ll  be charged for the air you breath! I hope not but …

All best to everyone and thanks so much again!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version