Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Marriage on the edge  (Read 5983 times)

Ms Peak

Re: Marriage on the edge
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2022, 11:15:33 PM »

Hello Nellie Noo.
I am a long time member of MM and don't always come on line.
Tonight I saw your post sweetie and it resonated with me, I had a marriage in dire straights back in 2012 as I hit the menopause and my MH was spiralling. At the time I used relate on line services and we did attend couples counselling. In 2014 I packed and walked out as he returned from a week away...god knows where!.
It was a period of intense fear for me, I had told the bank / mort I was going and I frozen my name on the joint account. I found a place to rent aged 51 and took my son aged 16 with me. Now some 8 years on It was the best decision every I found myself once more had new hobbies, friends, jobs, brought houses alone and in 2018 met my soulmate that is now my husband.

If Ì can support you in anyway please say......look after you first and foremost

Ms Peak x

Nellie Noo

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2022, 07:12:43 AM »

Thank you so much for this .. i really am blown away by the kindness and heartfelt advice i have been given on this forum . This morning im in a mess , and feel  like my  metal health is rock bottom. I dont even know if i feel angry anymore , just sad . This has given me hope that even at my age there is still a life for me outside this marriage .. if thats what i decide
. Thank you ms peak x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2022, 08:31:23 AM »

U R grieving.  Go with your feelings. 

sheila99

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2022, 08:53:37 AM »

It might be an idea to make a note of the finances before he knows you may walk and tries to hide things - bank accounts, investments and don't forget the pension. You could get the house valued so will know if you can afford to buy somewhere else with your share. If you will have to rent do some research on it, in most parts of the country there are more renters than property available. Do you have a close friend you could talk it through with? Though a counsellor may give a more independent view.
There's nothing intrinsically wrong with separate hobbies and you don't have to like each other's friends but the time you do spend together has to be good enough it outweighs any negatives.
 I wish you well whatever you decide.

Flossieteacake

« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2022, 09:38:55 AM »

Of course there is life for you outside of your marriage. You are not happy right now so I would not say that is a good quality of life. I think change can be so scary and we often think of staying in an unhappy marriage due to fear of change and also thinking we will be lonely. I think an unhappy relationship can be one of the most loneliest feelings there is.

Ms Peak

« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2022, 01:12:56 PM »

Hi Nellie Noo.
I so agree with the advise of the previous comments today. Before I left I check all bills ...in fact kindly wrote a list for him as he had never paid a bill! I took legal advice and I also had the house valued....it was all necessary measures.
Personally I could no longer lives the unhappiness I had. Grieving post marriage is a natural process too.
I wish you well in the decisions you make and be happy xx

jaypo

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2022, 03:18:59 PM »

When I left my ex, I told him he HAD to buy me out,re the house,it was that or put it on the market,he bought me out,it was done fairly swiftly and the day I signed it over and had the money in the bank,was the day I left.
It CAN be done Nellie Noo,it's scary but if I hadn't left when I did,it would've destroyed me,we did try the "sharing" of the house and living the separate lives but it was a nightmare so so awkward

Ms Peak

« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2022, 06:59:42 AM »

Good morning Nellie Noo.

Is it ok to ask how you are doing ?

Big hugs
Ms Peak xx

Nellie Noo

« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2022, 08:26:31 PM »

Am ok ….thank you so much for asking . He returns on Wednesday , and i am determined not to get drawn in with arguing or having any disagreements . I haven't missed him at all and if I'm honest I'm not looking forward to seeing him either. He's been texting my youngest son and alluding to what a fabulous time hes  been having while I've been feeling all these awful emotions !!!
And literally trying to figure out how to go forward !! I feel like I'm married to a man child !! I have decided to speak to a relationship counsellor .. albeit on my own and see what that brings . Xxx

groundhog

« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2022, 05:41:23 AM »

Hi Nellie noo,
Hope you don’t mind my input. Firstly, man-child - I totally get that.
I’ve been married 42 years and have had chronic ill health throughout. When I met my husband he was kind, loving, very hard working, very outgoing always the first to party etc whereas I was the quiet one.  Even now if I’m out without him people don’t recognise me.  In the marriage I did the worrying and all the boring stuff - money, bills, problems - he did nothing like that,  partly my fault as i liked to be in control of something in my life.
7 years ago catastrophic surgical complications during hysterectomy left me disabled,  he changed or maybe I saw a different side.  He became resentful of my illness and the restraints it put on him, he suddenly had to help with all the boring stuff and boy did he complain . I wanted him to drop anchor and be there for me and in many ways he was, but there was no empathy. Mind you my disability is rare and a nightmare - no holidays, sex or meals together - very long story.
I’ve considered leaving as I no longer need a man-child, I want to be looked after now.  Like you , the thought terrifies me . We still have some nice times, we laugh sometimes until we cry, he’s great with our grandchildren, still kind and generous, but no empathy , no emotional connection - it’s sometimes very lonely in a house full of noise, his noise.
We are working through, he is trying to change. But as I worry about my next op which may well kill me he’s planning a rugby tour with his mates.  I don’t get that .

Thinking of you , please let us know how things go.  It’s easier to stay than walk in many ways but life really is too short to be unhappy all the time x  do you ever feel content with life, with him ?

jaypo

« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2022, 07:04:24 AM »

Oh my,it's all so sad,groundhog, I feel for you too. It's ok our opinions on here but in reality it's not all cut and dry. I'm all for people working at a relationship BUT sometimes it's best just to end it,for OUR sake,my ex was also a man child and I got sick of speaking to him like a child, I wanted a man,it's so demoralising and I think unless you've been in that situation it's difficult to understand how awful it can be. I hope you both can work it out x

CLKD

« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2022, 08:42:15 AM »

As an aside groundhog - if he can afford a rugby tour then I can afford to pay privately for health care ;-). 

Ms Peak

« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2022, 10:30:19 PM »

Hello Nellie Noo.

To the other ladies I know on here too.

Honestly I have been there in all your shoes to some degree. My first ex physically hurt me, to young and scared back then to see a way out until my DS now angel was born and I switched on my light.... threw the pig out and lived happily with DS aged 2 for 3 years.
Met and married again to who seemed a charming guy, two children DS and DD I worked hard as a nurse, did all home finances at his request! Ended up being his work horse doing quite literally everything....huh I walked after 16 years and dusted down, brought n sold properties I renovated for 7 years, DS eldest passed 6 months after leaving dad to my youngest 2 and ruddy well enjoyed my life, happy and settled.
Well, I then met through a mutual friend the most delightful chap who I have know for 5 years now, we got a civil partnership earlier this year, didn't want to do a third marriage as such....I am treated like a princess and he is my total soul mate....never say never but hey if I can do it anyone can.Next year I see 60.

Big hugs

Ms Peaks x

CLKD

« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2022, 07:46:46 AM »

Well done Mrs Peak.  It's been hard work for you!

Nellie Noo

« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2022, 02:01:43 PM »

Ms peak …Sounds like you have had a well deserved happy ending . Thank you for your honesty in telling your story . You sound an amazingly strong woman to have come through what you have . As do you groundhog . I just feel a big weeping mess . I know i have to address this mess of a marriage but don't know where I'm going to find the strength . I feel rage anger tearfulness and sadness at the moment and a total inability to think clearly. I have had a look at the relate website so maybe i can start there . So many kind compassionate women on this forum …. Xxx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4