Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Joint pain  (Read 1337 times)

mandybaker

• First Flush
Joint pain
« on: June 25, 2022, 11:15:33 AM »

Hi there ladies, I'm after a bit of advice about what you take to help with joint pain.

When I was going through the perimenopause I didn't suffer with joint pain, but was taking various supplements to help me get through this.  Now in menopause I have stopped the supplements and soy milkshakes as these helped with the night sweats, hot flushes etc, but I am now getting random pains in both knees, ankles, right elbow and left wrist.  These come and go but normally one gives me grief every day. 

No point going to the doctor as the pains are so random, he'll just tell me I'm getting old, which I am so not ready to accept at just 56.  A previous doctor told me at just 45 that I was too old to be running and I want to be the 70 year old fit gran we saw running every day we were recently in Turkey!

A bit of research says that reduced oestrogen levels can cause joint pain and this can be helped by increasing your intake of phyto oestrogen.

Has anyone tried this?  What have you eaten/taken?  And importantly did it work?

For the last 8 weeks I have been taking tumeric as this is reported as helping with joint inflamation and it seems to be kicking in slowly, the pain is easing to a dull ache and doesn't interfer with my sleeping (at the moment!), but I still feel a bit stiff.

Many thanks

jaypo

Re: Joint pain
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2022, 02:11:26 PM »

Hi there and welcome to the forum.
I too used to think I could be that 70 year old runner but my injuries became more and more,some can do it others just can't,sad fact.
I was pretty fit for someone in my 50s but after a bad foot injury then a disc hernation, I had to give the running up,it was just getting too much,my advice would be to be careful, I ignored the initial signs and wish I hadn't. Brisk walking is just as good,or like me I got a cross trainer,no pounding  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2022, 04:08:46 PM »

As oestrogen levels drop muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  An over the counter pain relief should help, taken an hour B4 doing any exercise, gardening etc.. 

I use 'nurofen' for everything  ::) even to help me sleep if my restless legs are bothersome. 

Was the runner Turkish, 'they' do suggest that a Mediterranean diet with lots of fresh fruit, veg., herbs and fish is what keeps them going, however, 'they' do age suddenly at around 55  :-\ and go into wearing black  >:(.  Me I'm all for colour (sorry) I digress  ;D

Osteo arthritis is 'normal' wear and tear.  Treat as necessary. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2022, 04:08:59 PM »

Welcome too

AKatieD

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2022, 10:44:42 PM »

Turmeric is good and helps but ultimately not enough for osteoartritis in my knees.

HRT has really taken any pain away so fingers crossed it lasts. Back to running...