Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Blood tests helpful post-meno?  (Read 896 times)

Truffles

Blood tests helpful post-meno?
« on: June 25, 2022, 09:14:12 AM »

I’m 18 months post-menopause and beginning to struggle with symptoms that may or may not be due to sex hormones.  I have chronic illnesses which produce various symptoms, so it’s difficult for me to know for sure that my breathlessness and hot flushes are due to sex hormones.  I’m aware blood tests in peri menopause aren’t usually helpful, but what about post-meno? 

If testing might be helpful, can someone help with what tests I should get?  (I’ll need to get private home testing as my GP surgery says blood tests are too expensive for them to do unless essential.)

Thanks so much for any help.

KarineT

Re: Blood tests helpful post-meno?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2022, 10:36:42 PM »

Hi Truffles,

I take it you want to know your oestrdiol level to see where you're at? Are you sure you are postmeno though?  I did my first blood test after a year without a period.  The test tested my thyroid hormones as well as my oestradiol level and FSH.  I don't think you can have a test to check your oestradiol level only. I really wanted to know where I was on the menopause journey as I didn't like not knowing and this has given me some answers. I did a test every year since January 2021 (this was 1 year after my last period) and I would say they are pretty reliable once you're postmeno as the hormones don't fluctuate that much. I could really see that my oestrogen was declining and if my symptoms were worsening then I would known the reason why .  There are several providers on the Internet   The last one I used is called Medicheck and I think there's another one called Let's Get It Check'. The laboratory will send you a kit and you have the option of doing the test at home via a finger **** with a lancet or you could arrange for your blood to be taken by a nurse at a centre.  This is private centre and not a GP practice.

I hope I have answered your questiom.

Good luck with this.

Karine

Truffles

Re: Blood tests helpful post-meno?
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2022, 11:08:27 PM »

Hi Karine, and thank you so much for answering.  I think I’m postmeno because I haven’t had a period for 18 months, but I may be misunderstanding the definition (I’m really embarrassed by how little I know and understand about this). 

It’s really helpful to know that about hormones not fluctuating so much once one is postmeno.  It sounds to me as if would be a good idea to get an idea of my levels.  It’s also helpful to hear about your regular testing to keep an eye on things.

Thanks again for your help.