Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: TONSIL STONE  (Read 2118 times)

Whatsupwiththis

TONSIL STONE
« on: June 20, 2022, 12:21:58 AM »

Hi ladies.  After not being able to swallow, I finally decided to go to emergency.  There I was dx'ed with a tonsil stone.  Hurts like H, and they couldn't dislodge the stone due to my severe gag reflex.  I have tried saltwater gargle but still can't get any relief.  Anyone else had these and how did you get rid of them?  How long do they last?  I haven't eaten in 4 days...just too painful.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Marchlove

Re: TONSIL STONE
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2022, 06:13:25 AM »

Hi

Didn’t the hospital suggest sedation to remove the stone? What did they suggest going forward?

I’ve no experience of this at all so the only advice I have is regards to food is that try eating soup.

I think you need to contact your GP xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2022, 07:12:12 AM »

Didn't you be seen by an ENT bod in A&E or is there no joined up thinking  >:(

I believe that it's either a build up of calcium or debris.  MayB ring your dentist for advice?

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2022, 09:11:34 AM »

Hello Whatsupwiththis

A GP told my neighbour that a good way to treat a tonsil stone is to gargle with lemon juice, apparently the acid in the juice breaks up the stone. My neighbour immediately went out and bought some lemons. I haven't seen her since but if you give it a try do let us know if it works.

Take care.

K.

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2022, 01:00:55 PM »

Thx all for your responses.  Was finally able to dislodge stone.  Turns out I also had strep throat.  The lemon juice is an excellent idea and will keep that close at hand.  Apparently it is caused by debris buildup...I have bad post nasal drip so they think it was the cause.  Anyhow still having difficulties swallowing but gather that is just the crud from the infected throat.  Sheesh...no fun getting old(er)😉

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2022, 02:46:01 PM »

R U taking ABs for the strep throat ?  Was it diagnosed with a swab  :-\

Gargle with salt water if possible.   :-X  yuk

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2022, 04:09:30 PM »

Hi CLKD.  no antibiotics as it is viral.  In Canada, antibiotics have become the devil!  I was told to ride it out and it should take about a week to get rid of it.  I think many GP's are very reluctant to hand out AB's due to overuse.  No swab...nothing.  I thought I may have had Omicron as I have never had problems with tonsils.  No test was done. 

Kathleen

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2022, 04:21:01 PM »

Hello again Whatsupwiththis

The lemon juice is an interesting idea and worth bearing in mind.

I think everyone is approaching antibiotics with more caution these days. A few years ago when I had a chest infection my GP was happy to let me fight it off for myself but if that didn't work he said that ABs would be available.

I hope you feel better soon and please keep us updated.

Take care.

K.

Whatsupwiththis

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2022, 05:18:41 PM »

Thx Kathleen.  I'm a pretty tough old broad and on my chart it reads "healthy, active 71 year old".  So me thinks they are quite happy to let me fight it out.