Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

twitter facebook instagram blogger

Pages: 1 ... 1666 1667 [1668] 1669 1670 ... 1702

Author Topic: How are you today?  (Read 2544615 times)

Jeepers

Re: How are you today?
« Reply #25005 on: September 15, 2020, 04:07:31 PM »

Scared about next week.Have to do the journey this week for a very short appt but my poor SIL having to take me at 6 in the morning on his one day off next week! :o

Aww Teresa, I wish I could come with you and hold your hand  :-*
Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, while we were underneath it?

Supposing it didn't, said Pooh.

Teresa

« Reply #25006 on: September 15, 2020, 05:04:32 PM »

I wish that too Jeepers. :-* I'll just get dropped off and go in on my own. I'm sure I'll be fine, it's just the thought of it.I'll imagine you there virtually. ;)

CLKD

« Reply #25007 on: September 15, 2020, 05:15:00 PM »

:sweatdrop:  I'm soggy. It's muggy  :-\
Changes can be scarey, even when we want them!

C.C.

« Reply #25008 on: September 15, 2020, 05:51:18 PM »

Warning: longish story

I'm absolutley bagged tired today. I spent 5 hours in the ER last night with my Dad. He called me just before 7 last night and said he had fallen on his morning walk and subsequently found out after a visit to the dr. and an xray, he had broken a bone in his left hand. He is 87 and in not great health and has weak bones. He likes to walk at 5 am, when it's still dark and not great visibilty. Normally he has a flashlight with him but not this time. He said he had tripped on a branch lying on the sidewalk, not seeing it.
 I picked him up after he called and was shocked to see a large scrape under his left eye, a fat lower lip and a cut-up chin.  His left forearm underneath was all purple and his hand was quite swollen.  I took him to the ER and only when he was with the triage nurse I found out he had fallen on Saturday! He lead me to believe it was Monday morning!  He didn't tell me because he didn't want to be a bother. ::)  After 3 long hours of waiting he finally saw the Orthopedic Surgeon. She examined his hand and ordered another set of X-rays, she needed clarification on the report my Dad gave her.  After that she said Dad need a cast...great. ::) An hour and a half later she was able to get his arm wrapped up, although he wasn't able to position his hand quite the way she wanted him to, it was a battle of wills I suppose.  By midnight he was ok to go home.
Luckily he is in no pain.  I visited him this morning and we're both feeling rather weary. I was up early for work and Dad had trouble getting comfortable in bed. He lives alone so there is no one there to give him some help. He's able to get himself dressed but was concerned about taking a shower. I ordered him a waterproof sleeve to keep his cast dry. I guess I'm his taxi service for a while since he cannot drive (can't hold the steering wheel).
I told him he was lucky, in that he could have broken a hip or his leg and at 5 am there would be no one there to help him.

CLKD

« Reply #25009 on: September 15, 2020, 07:15:40 PM »

What is it with them  >:(  :bang: :bang: :bang:.  If they don't want to be a nuisance, why not call essential services themselves!?!? When mum tell us that she's a nuisance we tell her 'yep, why change the habit of a lifetime'  ;D

It's a worry that he isn't in pain  :-\.  Is he elevating the limb?  Driving at 87 ? thank goodness he wasn't on a cycle  ::).  Does he cook for himself?

Two hoots

« Reply #25010 on: September 15, 2020, 07:24:26 PM »

Its not just hospitals here that keep you waiting  :-\ lucky he did finally tell you and you could get him help.

C.C.

« Reply #25011 on: September 15, 2020, 11:35:03 PM »

What is it with them  >:(  :bang: :bang: :bang:.  If they don't want to be a nuisance, why not call essential services themselves!?!? When mum tell us that she's a nuisance we tell her 'yep, why change the habit of a lifetime'  ;D

It's a worry that he isn't in pain  :-\.  Is he elevating the limb?  Driving at 87 ? thank goodness he wasn't on a cycle  ::).  Does he cook for himself?

He has a cell phone when he walks but I really don't know if he knows how to use it. I asked him why he didn't call 911 when he fell!  :bang:
The doctor didn't really address that he was not in pain, the only time he felt anything was when she manipulated his fingers to the proper place as she was wrapping his arm. She splinted his ring finger to his pinky and that's when he felt something.  With all his meds, he is afraid to take any kind of pain relief anyway.  He wasn't told to elevate the limb, I guess the cast is all he needs for now.

Yes he does cook for himself, that was a conversation we had as we were waiting....his diet and what he needs to cut out. He opts for canned food that is so high in sodium and fat. I'm taking him grocery shopping on Thursday and I will make him read labels and opt for more healthy food.

C.C.

« Reply #25012 on: September 15, 2020, 11:42:31 PM »

Its not just hospitals here that keep you waiting  :-\ lucky he did finally tell you and you could get him help.

He actually thought we were there to get only a recommended for an orthopedic surgeon and was confused why he wasn't able to go home. I said why go through all this waiting and getting registered if they were only going to give you a name of a doctor?  I repeatedly told him he is there to see the doctor and get treated.

Ju Ju

« Reply #25013 on: September 16, 2020, 06:57:33 AM »

What is it about not wanting to be a bother, when the bother is that they haven’t told you, so you then start worrying about what they are not telling you! I do have a pact with my parents now that they do tell me when things go wrong. (Ages 93 and 95) And yes, things have been going wrong recently, but at least I know if I don’t hear anything, then things are ok. And Dad intends to drive again when he’s better! Well he was told at the hospital he would be able to!  :-\

Your post also brought back the memory of my rather lovely MIL, who sadly died years ago. We heard she was having difficulty hobbling around. So we jumped in the car, got the ferry, and found her lying on the settee. Apparently she’d fallen down the stairs a week before and her leg was very swollen and painful. We took her to A&E, where X-rays showed she had fractured her ankle. She was sent home to rest up and wait for the swelling to go down before it could be plastered. Well, that caused a lot more bother than a 999 call in the first place!

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #25014 on: September 17, 2020, 06:32:16 PM »

Sorry CC about your dad. Hope he feels better soon. x

I've been good today. Didn't sleep well last night either, so that's a surprise. 😃
Live.love.laugh.

CLKD

« Reply #25015 on: September 17, 2020, 07:27:48 PM »

Fear of hospitals, being left alone ......... ? 'being a bother' - well don't bother telling me at all ?

Weary.  Want to Get On with the digging out of a border .... but it's dark  ::)

Teresa

« Reply #25016 on: September 17, 2020, 09:06:02 PM »

Parents may feel guilty and frustrated that suddenly it's their children having to look after them when they see it as their job. Its a bitter pill to swallow. Also they come from an age when people didn't show their feelings.It would break my heart to think my Dad couldn't ask for help towards the end of his life but it's completely possible. I'm already feeling this way sometimes with my own children, all the hours they've spent at hospitals with me and this will only increase as time and illness progresses. I'll need to learn to accept this. We all want to be independent forever. It's hard asking for help.Just some thoughts.

jaypo

« Reply #25017 on: September 18, 2020, 08:12:41 AM »

Feeling better today,was so unbelievably tired yesterday due to no sleep the night before,stupidly had a (weak) G&T and sat out in the beautiful sunshine (rare here in Dunoon) then zonked out on OHs shoulder til 7.30pm!!! Headache for remainder of day,bottle of gin poured down sink  :(

littleminnie

« Reply #25018 on: September 18, 2020, 11:38:32 AM »

Feeling better today,was so unbelievably tired yesterday due to no sleep the night before,stupidly had a (weak) G&T and sat out in the beautiful sunshine (rare here in Dunoon) then zonked out on OHs shoulder til 7.30pm!!! Headache for remainder of day,bottle of gin poured down sink  :(

We could have had that gin!!!!   :)

CLKD

« Reply #25019 on: September 18, 2020, 11:53:12 AM »

I don't drink but would have put the gin into the compost ;-)

Weary. Busy dreams all night.  OK-ish.  Will review.
Pages: 1 ... 1666 1667 [1668] 1669 1670 ... 1702