Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Hannah Fry cancer TV programme  (Read 1279 times)

getting_old

Hannah Fry cancer TV programme
« on: June 04, 2022, 06:02:30 PM »

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but wondering if anyone else watched the Hannah Fry programme about cancer? I found it really interesting and thought provoking.
I've seen a lot of oral cancer patients say they wouldn't have radiation therapy if they had their time over because the side effects are so detrimental to their lives. This is countered by other patients who say you should have every possible treatment to increase your chances of survival, whilst some Americans say they are overtreated because the hospitals want to make money. In some ways there is no right or wrong answer because you can never see the outcomes of both sides so you have to choose and hope you make the right decision.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hannah Fry cancer TV programme
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2022, 06:06:45 PM »

Is she the lady who 'does maths'?  I read part of her article in a Sat paper a few weeks ago. 

I believe that in the US many may be over treated as they pay for care. 

What did U get out of the programme?  I simply wanted 'it' removed though I couldn't have faced chemotherapy. 
« Last Edit: June 04, 2022, 06:10:52 PM by CLKD »

getting_old

Re: Hannah Fry cancer TV programme
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2022, 06:29:39 PM »

Yes she's the maths person, and she said the same as you, that she just wanted "it" out. I was the same, and that was all I focused on at the time. I didn't really consider the side effects or how I'd be affected by the treatment as I couldn't see an alternative.