Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: I don't understand why I have been prescribed Solifenacin for OAB?  (Read 1786 times)

starburst

Hi

I had to see a Urogynae specialst for a bladder test last week, and i need two surgeries:
-Autologus rectus fascial Sling repair and anterior repair
-Posterior repair.

I had 5 babies all naturally and got a bladder prolapse after no 2.
Rectocele happened sometime later, who knows.
Uterus is in its right place.
I started leaking when i would trip over etc last year, and started HRT which has helped somewhat, (in peri atm) but still have issues with any impact such as a trip, fall, trolley rolling into me etc.

Did the Urology test which was a bit of a shambles.
I had 900 ml of fluid on the way over to the hospital as you were instructed to come with a full bladder.
I then had to void it at the start of the test and only 250 ml cam out as it obviously hadn't worked its way through yet.
Then they started the test filling up my bladder with the Drip, but realised part way through the computer was saying 330ml had gone in yet the bag wasn't moving.
They adjusted that and it started filling.
I was fine up until my bladder was full- i felt like it was going to explode but the doctor said she'd only put 300 ml in and wanted to empty the bag and I could take more!
But i really couldn't as i drank 900ml before i came and only passed 250 ml before the test, as it all hadn't come through so there was alot more in there than she thought.
I panicked about having an accident and told her that was enough, but she said we'll add some more at which stage i said, "No I am really done and i don't want anymore!" so she stopped and then i burst into tears 😕
It was the anxiety of it, as i spend my whole life trying to control things and not have accidents to then be in the position where they were asking me to cough and everything else and i was so uncomfortable i felt i would explode!
So anyway, my fears of the test not showing the issues were allayed when i coughed 3 times and major amounts went everywhere!
Then i had to get off the table, but as my bladder was fuller than it had ever been just the impact of getting off the table started the flow again and it was literally running down my legs!
She said I need incontinence repair, anterior repair and posterior repair, and I shall need to have 2 separate operations to do that, as evidence shows that best results are when the repairs are done separately than all at once.

Oh, by the way, my bladder empties well apparently and when i emptied the busting bladder there was over 700 mls after the leaks test coughing, so no wonder i was jolly panicking when she told me she'd only added 330 mls and I should have more!

She also said i need to take some meds first for overactive bladder. My bladder can hold a large amount, but she said the test shows as the bladder gets full it becomes overactive.
I have no idea why or how that happens or what issues that cause, because she didnt allow me to ask any questions.
She said she had no time to explain anything! 🙄

So I recieved a leaflet for Anterior repair, Posterior repair and incontinence surgery, and was told to go away, take the overactive bladder meds for a few months to sort that before they will deal with surgery.
I'm not to have caffeine or fizzy drinks . (which i don't really anyway).
I was told they won't tell me or suggest what procedures i should choose, but provide the info and let the patient decide whats best for them!
Fabulous! 🙄
I would kind of like to talk it over with a professional but they don't have time to even explain the simplest of things.
And the surgery options mentioned in the NHS are :
-Bulking agent
-colposuspension
-An autologous rectus fascial sling (made from your abdominal muscle
-a retropubic mid urethral mesh sling (sometimes called tape
This doctor said she doesn't do the mesh sling above, so i don't know why that is offered as an option.
So now I have to go away and take the meds and decide what I should do for myself without a chance for proper discussion.
I don't even know the Doctors name as it was written on the letter you have to hand in at reception so I don't have it, so i can't even google her to see if i trust her to do it! (Ysbyty Gwynedd , Bangor North Wales)

So i don't know what to do or really understand some of the things like overactive bladder.
Looking at the side effects from the meds online, i don't want to take them, but i have to take them for a month, and then see the continence nurse for 3 mths and then the surgeon in 4 mths for the surgery assessment plan.
I have to take these meds before they will do surgery, but i don't really understand why i have an overactive bladder, since i only pee once at night and about 4 times during the day and i can hold a full bladder of 500 mls without leaking- its only when theres an impact that it causes issues.
Theres not even anyone to ask if i could take a different med instead, am i expected to take these forever, as they have some nasty side effects including increased risk of dementia.

I just don't really understand.

Joaniepat

Good grief, an ordeal if ever there was one. Can you see a pelvic health physio? Preferably privately. It doesn't sound to me as though there is much wrong with you, apart from the impact thing. A women's health physio should be able to provide a better assessment.
JP x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

The Consultant should have time to discuss options.  This is your body so don't go for anything that you are not sure about.

Is there a Continence Nurse attached to your GP Surgery, if not ask for a referral.  This is a lot to take on board!  Also, when a patient says 'no' that's it.  A whole sentence in 1 word ;-).  No means no!

Give your Surgery a ring and ask.  Also, are you having any peri-menopausal symptoms?  I was going to suggest a pelvic health physio, thanks Joaniepat!

Haydo

This sounds awful!  I would definitely see a pelvic floor physiotherapist, private if you can as you will be given more time.  I was advised to have an anterior and posterior repair due to prolapse a year ago, but it seemed to me they were too quick to offer this.  I declined it for the time being, as I had severe vaginal atrophy and could not bear the thought of an invasive operation at that time.  It may be that I might have to have it in the future, but with the help of the pelvic floor physio exercises and oestrogen pessaries I am managing it at the moment.  You definitely need to have some proper advice and look at all the options first.  The private pelvic floor physiotherapist was the best money I spent (£60 for an hour) when she explained things to me more fully and gave me exercises, which have definitely helped. 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 04:25:36 PM by Haydo »

starburst

I've seen a number of Pelvic floor physios over the last 13 yrs and the most recent, i had to do a 6 mth stint with the NHS physio before Gynae would see my, but nothing helped.
In my Urology test, when the bladder was empty and i coughed, i would leak a bit, when my bladder was full and i coughed, it spurted out everywhere.
I have to keep myself dehydrated to manage, so i don't have a huge amount of liquid in a day, maybe around 1-1.2 litres, although I do eat alot of plants so get fluids that way.
I also have a kegel 8 electrostim machine and paid out a fortune to do the "Our Fit familiy Life" course for diastasis etc, which did not help with the incontinence.

I do know some other women who have had surgical repair and said it was the best thing they had done, so it was successful for them.
I can't jog or anything for exercise now, and really do want to get fit again, as i used to run for an hr every day.

starburst

Also, are you having any peri-menopausal symptoms?  I was going to suggest a pelvic health physio, thanks Joaniepat!

I am on Estradot 75, utrogestan and I was taking vagifem, but stopped that as it just seemed like extra prescriptions and The Newson clinic said i shouldnt need it now I'm on the patch.

Haydo

As you have already gone down the pelvic floor physio route maybe then you need to try and speak with your GP regarding the solifenacin, and also the continence nurse, to get more information.  It sounds as though you have explored a lot of avenues with the Kegel 8 and the course.  Speak to your friends who have had the operation and research as much as you can.  I suppose when you see the surgeon in four months you can ask for further information and reassurance as to which operation is best for you,  if you are still unsure.   

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

Regardless of other HRT if one requires Vagifem due to vaginal atrophy ......... surprised at the Newson Clinic giving that advice. 

1-1.2 litres of liquid as well as through the diet overall, should be enough.  The 1st P of the morning should be dark and mayB smelly; it should become straw coloured during the day, any lighter and the body is too hydrated.  Watch that P ;-)

MayB make a list starburst i.e. diary etc.?  So that you have something to discuss at your appt.  Let us know how you get on?

starburst

Regardless of other HRT if one requires Vagifem due to vaginal atrophy ......... surprised at the Newson Clinic giving that advice. 

What the Dr from the Newson clinic said, when I was first prescribed HRT , was something along the lines of "Keep using the Vagifem (the GP prescribed me to try for the leakage) for the first 3 or so weeks of starting systemic HRT, nd then try coming off it as you probably won;'t need it".
I was on Estradot 50 then.
Tried coming off it and then decided I'd rather keep using it so I did.
Then Next Skype appt, she upped me to Estradot 75 as I was still having some symptoms.
I was still taking vagifeme then , and then stopped using it when I got the referral to Gina, to see what happened.

I am not dry and it still feels moist and stretchy and normal enough but for the leakage, which is not what I thought atrophy would feel like?

Oh, and when I had the catheter, the nurse said it might irritate a little ,and it was still feeling a bit stingy the other night, so just for good measure I put a gob of canister cream on and smeared it about.
Next morning, it felt even worse, and I looked and it looked a bit irritated, so I went to my meds bag to get the tube out and realised I had not applied canister cream, but accidentally used Tretinoin 0.05% cream I use for my face!  :o :o :o
Yeah, so that was rather daft of me!  ;D ;D ;D