Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Thyroid results  (Read 1372 times)

Suza

Thyroid results
« on: May 29, 2022, 01:27:03 PM »

Hi, can I ask for help from anyone who has experience of hypothyroid symptoms.
For about the last 3 years I've been feeling increasingly cold, usually ok till about mid morning, then the shivering starts, even when everyone is wearing t shirts, I'm still in thick jumpers.
I've also been feeling sluggish and tired with lass energy than usual.
I've recently had access to all my GP records, and noticed a tsh serum result from 2020 was 3.5.
It says this is ok but I've checked online and some say anything over 3 should be classed as underactive
Any help would be appreciated
I'm 64, currently on evorel 50 patches , due a routine go appointment soon, and wonder if it's worth mentioning
Thanks

Wrensong

Re: Thyroid results
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2022, 03:07:28 PM »

Hi Suza, yes I'm hypothyroid, on replacement for nearly 3 decades, postmenopause & on HRT.

A TSH of 3.5 wouldn't usually be considered abnormal, but if you have not been tested since 2020 & you have symptoms, then please do ask your GP about testing again.

Reference ranges vary a bit between labs, but TSH at the lab I use currently goes up to 4.2. 

Once diagnosed hypothyroid & on thyroid replacement, many of us need our TSH to be towards the lower end of the ref range to feel well (e.g. 1-2, especially young patients), so the suggestion of no higher than 3 you have seen mentioned online may refer to what's optimal for those with confirmed thyroid disease.  That said, there is long ongoing debate about where the cut off should be for diagnosis.  When I was first diagnosed, TSH ref ranges commonly went up to around 6.

There are quite a few other symptoms that would suggest your thyroid could be under-performing but some of the most obvious include fluid retention, constipation, weight gain, low mood, hair loss (inc outer 3rd of eyebrows), dry skin & poor memory.

I'm sure you'll have ruled out other possible factors for coldness & sluggishness such as eating too few calories, inadequate exercise, low weight, but metabolism does also tend to decline as we age.

https://www.btf-thyroid.org/thyroid-function-tests

Hope that helps.
Wx
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 04:32:39 PM by Wrensong »

Suza

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2022, 03:14:36 PM »

Hi Wrensong
Thanks for your reply.
Apart from the eyebrow hair loss I seem to have all the other symptoms you described.
I originally thought I might have Raynaud's as freezing cold hands and feet, but now the shivering feeling is coming on, with loss of sensation in the toes.
I'll mention this to the GP and hopefully he'll agree to a blood test
Thanks again for your reply
Susan

Wrensong

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2022, 04:48:10 PM »

Hello again Susan, definitely sensible to make all your signs & symptoms suggestive of hypothyroidism known to your GP, I think. 

I have diagnosed Raynaud's as well as being hypothyroid, so you could have both, or the cold hands & feet could just be thyroid-related.  I do get a sensation of deadness in affected fingers during a Raynaud's episode & if you also get the typical 3 phase colour changes,  white, blue/black, then red, sometimes with pain on reheating the fingers/feet, that could help you determine whether Raynaud's is likely.  If you think you do have Raynaud's I would also mention that to your GP as they may want to run some tests.

If you have other autoimmune conditions or family members who have, that would make you more likely to develop either condition.  Please don't worry though - both will be manageable & you should feel better for any necessary treatment.

Please let us know how you get on with your GP.
Wx
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 04:52:51 PM by Wrensong »

Suza

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2022, 07:30:14 PM »

Thanks. My appointments not for a few weeks so I'll keep you updated

ATB

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2022, 08:37:40 PM »

I am hypothyroid also. Definitely agree you have symptoms and should ask for another test. Unfortunately the NHS won’t do full thyroid panels which include testing important thyroid hormones, free T3 & Free T4. TSH is a poor way to diagnose as it’s just a messenger hormone and you can still be hypothyroid with one they don’t typically class as too high, if your body doesn’t respond to the message and actually make the active thyroid hormones I mention. I went private to be diagnosed.

Suza

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2022, 07:03:20 AM »

Thanks atb
It sounds like a very complicated process
I'll keep you posted

ATB

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2022, 07:23:19 AM »

It can be. Private tests can be taken with Medichecks directly yourself, they have a full thyroid panel and it’s around £79 but they often have sales.
When I was diagnosed by TSH was only slightly higher than yours. A normal TSH is 1. But those other tests are so important.

Suza

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2022, 09:30:14 AM »

Hi ATB
So if a normal tsh is 1 you would think that would investigate anything over that on the NHS
Looking back at my test results from the last 5 years, I've had tsh tested probably yearly, and it's risen from 1.2 up to 3.5 which was 2 years ago.
It's a weird feeling though symptom wise as I start the day of feeling quite warm and toasty, eg normal!!
Then as the day goes on coldness and shivering sets in, till bath time 7pm then a respite

ATB

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2022, 09:38:26 AM »

Yes it’s a hard condition to have because the symptoms aren’t always consistent and because this is a hormone condition it affects other hormones and estrogen & progesterone can affect your thyroid function too. It’s a pain! I would also recommend taking your daily temperatures first thing in the morning before you get up, there are charts if you search online that help you determine what it means. A consistently low body temp indicates hypothyroidism as well. Because TSH can jump around for women a lot they wait till it’s consistently over 10 to do anything, when they should really go by symptoms and the actual active thyroid hormones to diagnose. If you want to get the Medichecks test yourself they analyse them for you, you’ll get a doctors report with them all included. I highly recommend saving up if you need to and getting one.

Suza

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2022, 09:56:24 AM »

Thanks ATB