Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Prolapse and vaginal bleeding  (Read 1795 times)

cazzie29

Prolapse and vaginal bleeding
« on: May 29, 2022, 08:21:16 AM »

Hi there, wondering if anyone has had these symptoms? I was diagnosed with a prolapse about 10 years ago but have not been badly bothered with it until the last year. I feel quite uncomfortable down there when I walk or run about after the grandchildren. Just recently, when I go for a last wee at night before going to bed, there is a slight smear of blood when I wipe myself. This is happening every other night but hasn't happened through the day. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

Haydo

Re: Prolapse and vaginal bleeding
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2022, 09:07:11 AM »

It could be that you have vaginal atrophy and because of this you are more aware of your prolapse, particularly at the end of the day, or maybe your prolapse has worsened.  I find on occasions that I have blood, and it’s due to the prolapse rubbing against the thin lining and the entrance to the vagina, usually after a hectic day.  You should be examined by your GP to check things out, and be prescribed local oestrogen if it is due to that.  If I have a flare up of VA I am always much more aware of my prolapse.  Either way you need to be examined for a proper diagnosis. 

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2022, 09:10:21 AM »

Hi cazzie. Do you know what type of prolapse you have? Prolapse shouldn't cause bleeding unless it has prolapsed right to the vaginal opening when you can get ulceration which will bleed on contact but this also causes pain.

Are you on any HRT to prevent vaginal atrophy as Haydo mentions?

Taz x

cazzie29

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2022, 09:14:19 AM »

Hi Haydo, thanks for your quick and informative reply.  I must admit my mind has gone into overdrive with worry due to having quite bad health anxiety. I'm going to make an appointment with my GP tomorrow and hope it's nothing sinister. Are they able to diagnose VA right away or do they have to do tests?

cazzie29

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2022, 09:21:13 AM »

Hi Taz, I'm not sure what kind of prolapse I have. It was 10 years ago when it started and I don't recall the doc saying anything other than prolapse. The pelvic floor exercises helped a little at the time and I then went onto HRT for 2 years which helped but I tried a few of the HRTs and all gave me bleeding so I came off it after 2 years. I had a procedure (think it was a hysteroscopy) back in 2019 and it came back normal. Subsequently I have not used any more HRT and find that over the last year,  the prolapse has worsened .

Haydo

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2022, 09:49:05 AM »

Your GP should be able to diagnose VA on examination.  You could also ask about pelvic floor physiotherapy and seeing a gynaecologist in respect of the prolapse.   Try not to worry, (easier said than done I know)  my VA symptoms started with some bleeding during lockdown and I didn’t get to see a GP for weeks, during which time it got worse and worse.  The sooner you’re examined the better.  Let us know how you get on. 

cazzie29

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2022, 10:17:04 AM »

Hi Haydo, thanks for your kind and reassuring words. I will definitely let you know how I get on. Can I ask what treatment you have for VA and have you had any problems with it?

Haydo

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2022, 10:40:10 AM »

I use vagifem pessaries internally and ovestin cream mixed with a little olive and bee moisturiser externally.  Some women find the ovestin cream works better for them internally, but it didn’t for me.  I wash with hydromol.    If it is VA it may take a while and some trial and error to find out what works for you.    I spent a fortune on moisturisers until I found one that didn’t irritate me, but there is lots of advice on this forum.  The thread The Burning Club under Private Lives has loads of good advice and suggestions.   
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 10:41:58 AM by Haydo »

cazzie29

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2022, 11:22:02 AM »

Thanks for the info   :)

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2022, 12:07:35 PM »

You do need to have this bleeding, even though it's only a trace, checked out. Let us know how you get on

Taz x

cazzie29

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2022, 12:44:28 PM »

I will do Taz. Thanks.

Not always the easiest to get an appointment at my surgery but have submitted an econsult form (which is the only way we can contact our gp) and should hear by the end of Tuesday.

Will keep you updated x

cazzie29

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2022, 12:10:00 PM »

So managed to get an appointment with a nurse practitioner at the surgery yesterday (the GPs here believe in getting the nurse practitioners to do everything). She didn't seem overly concerned about the bleeding and just had a general look. Said my cervix was really far down but dryness not too much of an issue. She gave me Vagifem pessaries which I started to use last night and offered to insert a rubber pessary. I declined that atm as I'm going on holiday next week and didn't want any issues when away. I have an appointment to get that inserted after I come home. Hopefully the Vagifem will offer a bit of relief just now.

Haydo

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2022, 02:44:28 PM »

I hope the vagifem works for you.  I would suggest you see a pelvic floor physio before having a pessary fitted,  so that you have a better idea of what you’re dealing with.  You might not need a pessary.  Did she give you her explanation for the bleeding as she wasn’t overly concerned? 

cazzie29

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2022, 10:24:30 PM »

I hope so too Haydo. I actually have private medical insurance through my work so will ask to be referred to the private hospital. However, i guess a pessary ring would keep everything nicely in place, if it works. Oh it certainly isn't any fun growing old is it? And the nurse just said the bleeding would be the prolapse rubbing - sounds great doesn't it ?

Haydo

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2022, 02:05:19 PM »

Yes, it was the prolapse rubbing against the thin vaginal wall that caused my bleeding.  Since using the vagifem I rarely have the  bleeding.  Touching wood!   Hopefully the same will happen for you.  No it isn’t, everything seems to drop in one way or another!