Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Estrogen or progesterone dominance maybe?  (Read 3440 times)

Sheri

Estrogen or progesterone dominance maybe?
« on: May 26, 2022, 06:22:01 PM »

Hi all, alot of people on here mention dominance of one hormone or another. Could someone help me to see if this is my problem?
I'm on the everol sequi patches & this week i started on the conti.
On the estrogen only, i suffered a debilitating panic attack, but on conti i have grumbling in the background anxiety. I'm aware of it but its not crippling me, just its uncomfortable & i can't really relax.
I know I'm still new to HRT & I'm still hopeful it will work.
Prior to starting HRT,  during my ovulation period i would get severe anxiety attacks where at times, i really didn't want to wake up in the morning or seeing the postman or hearing certain words would be a trigger for another attack.
The attacks would ease once i stopped ovulating but anxiety would still be there but i could reason with myself & at least feel abit more at peace.
During my period i would be up & down emotionally. Never angry, or nasty just scared one minute, normal the next.
My only other meno symptoms are (which have decreased since starting hrt) is dizzy spells, brain fog, aches but i  am very fatigued.
Any info will be great, thank you.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Estrogen or progesterone dominance maybe?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2022, 07:56:15 PM »

Hi! how is your diet overall?   Eating little and often can ease anxiety surges as can appropriate as necessary medication.

As we age oestrogen levels drop off.  The Change - does what it says on the tin  ::)

ATB

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2022, 08:18:32 AM »

Can totally understand, many of us experience these same issues and I certainly have. You are very new to HRT and it can take 3 months or more for symptoms to settle, which I know is frustrating while you don’t feel great. It sounds very much like a typical cycle of anxiety that gets worse at certain times of the month as our hormones rise and fall. I would persevere with your HRT, bearing in mind that this takes some time, and address the ongoing anxiety with other supportive solutions such as meditation, exercise, and therapy- which has helped me a lot. I use headspace app or YouTube if I need to as well, they have great short videos for panic attacks. Some people find magnesium supplements help anxiety too.
Do you take testosterone? Has your GP or whoever prescribed the HRT discussed this with you? I take evorel, Utrogestan and Androfemme testosterone cream. The testosterone helped a lot with fatigue and energy.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2022, 11:57:09 AM »

Hi there  Sheri

You have't said how regular your periods were before starting HRT? During early peri-menopause especially, hormones are fluctuating wildly and during different phases of the month different hormones are dominant. By taking HRT you are adding to the hormones in your regular cycle, so sometimes may feel like you're getting too much of one. At least the extra oestrogen will help prevent the oestrogen crashes many women experience during peri but the extra progestogen may mean you feel like this is too much. Hopefully this will settle.

IN the meantime perhaps you would like to read this article about peri-menopause if this is where you are?:
https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/magazine/articles-latest.php - this might not be the right article as I can't'do the link but it's called "Perils of the Perimenopause"

There are many causes of fatigue so if you are suffering excessivey then it's worth going to the doc and hopefully they will order general blood tests - thyroid function, vitamin and iron deficiencies are amongst the causes. Not necessarily testosterone - your libido will give you an indication of whether you would benefit from this ( though some medications can suppress libido eg anti-depressants, oral HRT).

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x

ATB

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2022, 02:42:23 PM »

Is this it https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/magazine/pdf/Article%20-%20Perils%20of%20the%20Perimenopause.pdf

Maybe that’ll take you to the right article Hurdity mentions, although I saw lots of ones on the link I’d like to read!

You know my libido wasn’t really a thing that I went to my doctor with, mine was ok. Testosterone is not just about libido, although the NHS seems to think so as that’s how they prescribe. I was prescribed testosterone alongside the others for other symptoms, not just fatigue, but I struggled with concentration, memory, focus… brain fog, stuff like that. I think Newson clinic believe it to be as important as estrogen. This is the leaflet they gave me on testosterone:
https://www.newsonhealth.co.uk/uploads/2021/07/Testosterone-FINAL-22.pdf

I know, so much reading when we don’t feel well!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 02:48:11 PM by ATB »

Sheri

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2022, 02:47:50 PM »

Thank you for your replies.
My period is quite regular. It was the timing of my anxiety that really led me to consider HRT as it felt hormonal.
I've suffered with pretty bad brain fog, dizziness, aching muscles & fatigue over the past 2 yrs & it wasn't until i kept a closer look into it, that i suspected peri.
My Drs sent me for brain scans, i wore a heart monitor for 4 days (turned out i have pulmonary hypertension & I'm losing my hearing) so Drs put everything i am feeling down to that.
But my gynae is convinced its hormone related & i agree with him.
I've been looking into testosterone. Is there a test to see if i need it? I'm not sure i could say to my gynae, i need testosterone wheni don't really know much about it.
I've got magnesium glycinate & am starting it tomorrow.

Sheri

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2022, 02:49:53 PM »

I've read that article before . It was very i sightful.

ATB

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2022, 03:09:27 PM »

For testosterone you have the SHBG I think it is test alongside the total testosterone and that gives them the free testosterone result which you want between 2-5%. The NHS don’t often give women testosterone unless libido is seriously affected.

McPeri

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2022, 03:47:03 PM »

Thank you for your replies.
My period is quite regular. It was the timing of my anxiety that really led me to consider HRT as it felt hormonal.
I've suffered with pretty bad brain fog, dizziness, aching muscles & fatigue over the past 2 yrs & it wasn't until i kept a closer look into it, that i suspected peri.
My Drs sent me for brain scans, i wore a heart monitor for 4 days (turned out i have pulmonary hypertension & I'm losing my hearing) so Drs put everything i am feeling down to that.
But my gynae is convinced its hormone related & i agree with him.
I've been looking into testosterone. Is there a test to see if i need it? I'm not sure i could say to my gynae, i need testosterone wheni don't really know much about it.
I've got magnesium glycinate & am starting it tomorrow.

Sheri, I really feel for you. I too had crippling anxiety after plummeting into the final stages of perimenopause almost overnight. I had never experienced anxiety and it was awful. So you have my sympathy.

In my experience (and this is JUST my own experience, we are all different) it has taken time - not to be underestimated - and HRT. I am pretty sure that if I were just to wait out the next few years it would pass, but I am not prepared to do that. My quality of life was so low that I was determined to find HRT that works. Which has not been easy.

Your gynae seems to be on the ball. If all other things - Vit D, magnesium, Omega 3, B vits etc - are all sorted then you can be sure it is something hormonal. The advice about reducing stress is often underestimated. It is quite a mind-shift for those of us who have spent our lives doing everything and rarely saying 'no', but it is important to build a hedge of protection around yourself for a little while until things calm down.

Don't expect people to understand, most don't and in fairness I am not sure I would have if I had not experienced this myself. For me, routine and predictability were key. Eating at set times, sleeping at set times (or going to bed, at least). My GP gave me a short course of sleeping tablets to teach my body to sleep again until HRT kicked in. HRT is not perfect, but it has helped my sleep.

Walking also helped me a lot. Doesn't need to be miles a day, even just 3 ten minute walks round the block. It soon adds up.

For what it's worth, I couldn't deal with the patches (though they would be my preferred option). No idea why. But I have been fine with oestrogel. Can't do synthetic progestins, though many are fine with them, but am fine with utrogestan (vaginally). Menopause truly is a very individual thing and not one of us should have to apologise for not fitting the 'one size fits all' approach that many GPs have.

Re testosterone, my GP practice will not test it - then again, they rarely test for anything these days! Medichecks do a test that will tell you your Free Androgen Index, then you or your doctor can do a calculation to get the % of free testosterone. If you have an enlightened GP practice they might do the test or at least draw the blood for it for free. If not, it can be drawn at Superdrug or similar for a fee. Someone has already mentioned the Newson Health factsheet on testosterone. It is helpful.

The anxiety will calm down as hormones settle and you will also learn how to deal with it. You know your body and your reactions better than anyone. It is very difficult to advocate for yourself at this stage of life, but know that there are many of us doing the same and hopefully draw strength from that. We are the pioneers, it seems!

Sheri

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2022, 08:06:53 PM »

Thank you McPeri for your kindness.
My anxiety has been up & down these past few days but i start ovulating tomorrow, so possibly that.
I think the estrogen is making me worse, as i could be wrong, but doesn't estrogen increase during ovulation?
I probably got that wrong as with my brain fog & lack of concentration, i read things & then forget what I've read.
I try to walk daily if my lungs wilp let me. Went out tonight with my husband as the weather was glorious & we had a drink on a beautiful roof terrace overlooking a bright blue sea. Little things like that, makes you feel its good to be alive.
If my mood is all over the place. Up one minute, down the next - surely that means its hormonal right?
I'm glad you found relief with the gel. I'm not sure i can have that. I know i can't have orals due to my liver function & another tablet I'm on so hope these patches work.