Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Too old for hrt?..  (Read 3088 times)

Hippiechick

Too old for hrt?..
« on: May 05, 2022, 11:22:10 PM »

Hi just hoping someone out there may be able ro advise.? Basically my question is is it too late to start hrt at 64yrs of age. I have an appointment with my g.p coming up . Need all the ammunition  I can muster. I was told by a different g.p. that hrt is not given to older women. Is this really a case and is it really a post code lottery as ro if you get it or not? Any input welcome.

Diamonds and pearls 53

Re: Too old for hrt?..
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2022, 06:48:48 AM »

You are never too old! Read the NICE guidelines and refer your G.P to them if necessary. If you are experiencing symtoms of meno you are can still have hrt prescribed. I am older than you and still on it, as are many ladies on this site. Good luck and stand your ground!

Emma

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2022, 11:01:43 AM »

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2022, 02:22:28 PM »

Take the NICE guidelines with you. They used to say stop at 60 but now there is no age limit. They may not be aware they've changed.

Hippiechick

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2022, 06:25:10 PM »

Thanks all the above..I am now going to try find these NICE guidelines..Bit late as my appointments tomorrow morning..Where do I start looking?? Do I just google it or ar they to be found on this this site somewhere..??

laszla

Hippiechick

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2022, 06:56:40 PM »

Hope this posts in the right place..Thanks to you all for the support and encouragement..Saw my G.P and I actually got it!!

Just put my first HRT patch on.. Wish me luck and I'll let you know how I get on in the future..

Stockport1965

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2022, 07:31:14 PM »

Hope this posts in the right place..Thanks to you all for the support and encouragement..Saw my G.P and I actually got it!!

Just put my first HRT patch on.. Wish me luck and I'll let you know how I get on in the future..

Great news :)

Hellyjellybelly

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2022, 07:36:34 PM »

Nearly 2 weeks since increasing my oestrogen patches and adding in other items. Bad reaction last week - extreme nausea, felt dreadful. Am I noticing any positive change yet?  ;) The jury’s still out. I just feel nothing really. But I’ll persevere.

Polly7

• First Flush
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2022, 07:31:58 PM »

Hi. Hippie chic.  I just concern it’s too late to actually
start it in late 60s
Appreciate its ok if started younger? (Swoon. I was told they don’t treat it that way)

Polly7

• First Flush
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2022, 07:33:35 PM »

Hi.  I just concern it’s too late to actually
start it in late 60s. Would you think it’s ok. Is it to do with arteries🤔
Appreciate its ok if started younger? (Swoon. I was told they don’t treat it that way)

Hippiechick

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2022, 09:52:35 PM »

Well its 10 days in with my first patches. So far don't feel much different. In fact really feeling low and anxious this weekend. Still using pessaries about every three days. Moods been li,e a roller coastsome days feel good and full of energy,then others not so. Dont know if have to continue with vagifem pessaries or not..Good thing is doctor said she'd be assessing soon  but can't remember when exactly .. Have to phone up find out. How long do these things take to work.???

Slightly worrying response from Polly yesterday..what did you mean is it to do with arteries?

Florence

• First Flush
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2022, 12:34:23 PM »

I have just started about 3 weeks ago and I am 67... I went privately to the London Hormone Clinic had blood tests etc.. Dose is Elleste Solo 1mg and progesterone 100 for 1 week and then up to 200 and now continuous. I can now get my prescription from GP. Have got a DEXA scan lined up in June NHS and also another blood test crosslaps which measures bone resorption and formation private.

I started with bloating and stomach cramps were which just about manageable but my IBS kicked in (since hitting the menopause the IBS went away) with severe pain and I had to take to my bed. I contacted the clinic and was advised to stop everything and restart after all the symptoms had gone. But to take the same doses as before and proceed in the same way. I started this morning but halving my elleste with a pill cutter as am nervous of any more pain and wanted to start gradually not sure if this is right. I shall stick with just the 100 progesterone and see what happens.

My main reason for starting HRT was the terrible anxiety that has suddenly enveloped me and loss of confidence and not feeling me! In just the 3 weeks of taking it the medication my old self was starting to immerge which was lovely as I am usually a confident happy person.

I am interested to know if others with IBS have similar stories or other ladies of a certain age struggling with abdominal pain.

Thanks F

loulou2

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2022, 06:18:40 AM »

Hello Florence...

I am also new on here and started HRT ..gel and progesterone just under 3 months ago, I am 64, 65 in a few months time.  I had a late menopause at 57 and suffered really bad hot flushes, so many I couldn't count them.  I just got on with it for years, tried every natural treatment available to no avail.  Didn't want to go onto HRT because of the breast cancer risk, but after years of suffering and female medical friends trying to talk sense into me, and my female DR is very pro-HRT, decided to give it a go.

I take 2 pumps of gel and 100mg of progesterone per day, had terrible night sweats for the first few nights and then they stopped.  The hot flushes started diminishing after a few weeks and now have almost stopped altogether.  I do have some side effects...tender nipples, and today for the first time, I have some bleeding.  I am seeing my Dr next week, but she did warn me that I would probably get some spotting.  I am a little concerned about the bleed, which I noticed this morning, hopefully it is all ok!

jaycee

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2022, 09:30:35 AM »

I restarted HRT at a late age, but Drs still try to put me off saying as long as you know the risks, stroke heart attack etc,
I think sometimes its just the cost of it they are thinking about