Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Failure to take a smear test  (Read 2169 times)

Peana

Failure to take a smear test
« on: April 06, 2022, 07:57:05 AM »

Hi, in the past the nurses have mentioned that my cervix is a bit awkward to get to, but I'm on my 5th coil (last one fitted earlier this year) so they normally get there in the end.  However, yesterday I went for my coil check and a smear test, but after 5 attempts the nurse still couldn't see my cervix and suggested I make another appointment for the smear test as she was worried I was getting more and more uncomfortable.  She said that lots of different things can affect this such as how full my bladder or bowel was, where I was on my cycle, etc., but I'm at a bit of a loss as to why this was such a problem.  I've even had a poor student doctor find it in the end (he was literally shaking by the end).  I wondered if any of you had had a similar experience, as now I'm getting a bit anxious about booking a new appointment for a few weeks time?  I've not had children.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Failure to take a smear test
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2022, 10:09:12 AM »

Don't be anxious, as we age our bodies alter in shape.

Which was she using, a spatula (old school) or brush .......... She could of course refer you to a gynaecologist ?

Let us know how you get on. 

Peana

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2022, 04:03:33 PM »

Thanks.  I think she was using a spatula, but I was trying not to look to closely - I also had to give blood which makes me more squeamish than normal.

Well, I'm all booked in for 2 weeks time now.  Fingers crossed that we have more luck this time around!

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2022, 04:12:19 PM »

It sounds to me that the nurse was inexperienced, hopefully next time you'll get someone more knowledgeable.

QueenofReds3

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2022, 04:13:56 PM »

Hi Peana

Like CLKD mentioned in her post, don’t be anxious. I have had many smear tests where the nurse could not find it, get to it and given up to get someone else or I have had to go back. If you were anxious with the blood taken that is not going to help you relax so hopefully next time you will be fine.
I find putting my hands underneath my bottom helps as I think my cervix may be tilted, I did this the last time and all went well without any tears😊
The main thing is you are having them, they are so important, I know so many people who have avoided their smears and regretted it. Fingers crossed for your appointment. Xx

Peana

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2022, 05:36:33 PM »

Well, my next smear was simple - she found my cervix immediately and I was in and out!  However, I thought my spotting had ended, but it hadn't, so if it affects the sample I might need to go again!  Grrrr.  I feel that I'm constantly up the clinic at the moment, but not really getting anywhere!

JoJo42

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2022, 04:25:29 PM »

Is it a hospital clinic? I used to go to the Gp practice nurse for my smears until the last one felt like being stabbed with a knife. I told her I had vaginal atrophy and I think that may have made her anxious. After two failed, painful attempts she referred me to the colposcopy clinic at the local hospital (sometimes hospitals have clinics for difficult smears. Our hospital doesn’t, but they were more than happy to help.) I was bery nervous but the smear at the colp clinic took seconds, never felt a thing! Best thing ever. They said I can go to them for every smear now.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2022, 05:14:09 PM »

:thankyou:  4 sharing.