Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Having menopause with fibromyalgia  (Read 3002 times)

Positivevibes

• First Flush
Having menopause with fibromyalgia
« on: November 12, 2021, 01:18:46 AM »

Is there someone out there whose fibro pains an discomfort got much worse, since going into what I believe is full blown menopause. I get pins an needles  numbness an severe deep aching pains, mainly from the hips, coccyx area, left buttock down to my foot. Which often burns. It feels like my bones. It's so bad that it's hard to stand on it. If I move in my sleep, it wakes me. The same goes for my right arm, when my lower arm an hand goes completely numb. They are so painful I do worry. I have been through many checks over the months, to chevck for other things. I have fibroids to each side. Is these pains common with others?  Thank you  :)

Taz2

Re: Having menopause with fibromyalgia
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2021, 07:53:03 AM »

Hi Positivevibes. I've had fibro since 1995. I found the fatigue and muscle pain did increase as I got further into meno and improved a bit when I started HRT at 53. Are you post menopause now which is a year without a natural period?

Reading your symptoms I'm wondering whether you have developed piriformis syndrome which is not particularly linked to fibro but gives the symptoms you mention. I had this a couple of years back and it was very painful. I paid for a course of physio privately which sorted the problem out. Has this been mentioned to you by your GP? It's definitely worth getting a referral or, if you can afford it, getting it treated privately. The hand and arm problems can be linked to arthritis in the neck. A physio referral can address both of these things. Lots of help and support on here.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2021, 09:49:08 AM »

That arm/hand symptom can be carpal tunnel syndrome too, which occurs in many pregnant women.  As suggested, mayB a chat with a physiotherapist interested in women's health.  Let us know how you get on.

Also as oestrogen levels drop, muscle may become lax = aches and pains.  Do read the threads about 'bladder issues' and 'vaginal atrophy'  ;)

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2021, 03:59:44 PM »

Hello Positivevibes and welcome to the forum.

I read recently that Fibromyalgia has been identified as an inflammatory condition. I understand that oestrogen is anti inflammatory so a lowering of this hormone may be making things worse.
There may be more to learn online so probably worth doing some research.

Take care.

K.

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2021, 05:38:19 PM »

Yes Kathleen you're right. It was a Swedish study on mice and was the first one to show that it had an aut immune link. My GP was really excited by it. Tiny trial though.https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/mouse-study-suggests-fibromyalgia-has-autoimmune-roots-68944

Taz x

Positivevibes

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2021, 09:20:41 PM »

Hi Positivevibes. I've had fibro since 1995. I found the fatigue and muscle pain did increase as I got further into meno and improved a bit when I started HRT at 53. Are you post menopause now which is a year without a natural period?

Reading your symptoms I'm wondering whether you have developed piriformis syndrome which is not particularly linked to fibro but gives the symptoms you mention. I had this a couple of years back and it was very painful. I paid for a course of physio privately which sorted the problem out. Has this been mentioned to you by your GP? It's definitely worth getting a referral or, if you can afford it, getting it treated privately. The hand and arm problems can be linked to arthritis in the neck. A physio referral can address both of these things. Lots of help and support on here.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Positivevibes

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2021, 11:58:17 PM »

Hi Taz thanks for the welcome, and response. I'm glad to be on here.  :) Sorry for delay guys I went away for a few days.
I have pains in places I didn't know I had, but all similar pains everywhere in limbs.
I had no period for 5 years then had a 2 day bleed year ago, but got checked over by gynae. So really post meno. I have OA in neck, shoulder an lower back, disk probs in back, with the rest. I see an osteopath sometimes, who is good.  Acupuncture a while ago did nothing. Unfortunately my back an leg, this really came on, with an exercise Muscoskelatal gave me to do, as no hands on treatment given. I will keep piriformis in mind. I have carpol tunnel on same hand but not with whole hand numb an these arm pains. I originally said it sounds like meno, but lady doc said as I was not really getting much bad hot flushes, she didn't think so. My usual gp is pretty good an does listen. Thank you for your help, take care. Xx  ::)

Positivevibes

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2021, 12:03:31 AM »

That arm/hand symptom can be carpal tunnel syndrome too, which occurs in many pregnant women.  As suggested, mayB a chat with a physiotherapist interested in women's health.  Let us know how you get on.

Also as oestrogen levels drop, muscle may become lax = aches and pains.  Do read the threads about 'bladder issues' and 'vaginal atrophy'  ;)

Positivevibes

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2021, 12:23:17 AM »

Hi CLKD thank you for your time. I'm unfortunately not a mother. Ive had carpol tunnel for about 10 years now, but nowhere effecting whole hand an arm. Its unbearable especially when I lie down. I'm planning on following up again, but when I have my thoughts right. All consultants see were baffled with symptoms. As we know most gp's are not train on meno. As I've read, I never realised how much meno attacks body. Thank you. Xx  :)