Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Progesterone lozenges  (Read 3261 times)

Blue Kingfisher

Progesterone lozenges
« on: October 09, 2021, 07:10:19 AM »

Hi everyone,

I thought I’d start a new thread specifically on progesterone lozenges as they are my last hope finding a progesterone I can tolerate. I’ve been taking them for around 3 weeks. Before starting the lozenges, I was on 200mg Utrogestan (1 every 3 days vaginally) and alternating each day with 2 pumps oestrogel one day followed by 3 pumps oestrogel the next day & so on.

I gave my body a good break from the Utrogestan of 4-5 days before starting the lozenges (boy did that feel good!). The pg lozenges are 40mg ones and I split this into quarters and take 10mg each night. I decided to drop my oestrogen to be more consistent at 2 pumps daily at the same time & since I would be getting a lot less progesterone, this seemed to be sensible decision.

To start with I felt much better but after 10 days I could feel something really building up or shrinking down in my body and found it difficult to wake up in the mornings and had bad headaches. It could be the progesterone or it could be my oestrogen at 2 pumps is too dominant to the 10mg progesterone?

The lozenges are only 10mg (i take it at night, letting it dissolve slowly between upper lip & gum as directed). I feel I therefore have some tweaks to make and choices which way to tweak first. I’m not sure whether to try reducing the lozenges first? Or keeping the lozenges the same and increasing the oestrogel to 3 pumps. Surely one of those options might confirm if it’s more oestrogel I need? Perhaps the safest option is to hold the lozenges at 10mg and increase the oestrogel to 3 pumps so only one thing has changed. I guess if this doesn’t work then I’ll try reducing the oestrogen.

I would say that although I’m experiencing speed bumps with the lozenges I’m still in a better place so far than I was on the Utrogestan. I just hope things start to go more on in the right direction consistently than take a turn for the worst!

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this, I’m totally making this up as I go along and still hoping that one day something will stick!

xx

Perinowpost

Re: Progesterone lozenges
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2021, 09:10:43 AM »

Hi Blue Kingfisher

I remember you from before when you tried the kyleena and I feel your pain.

I don’t know the answer to your issue but am wondering if it’s the drop in prog that is the issue, to go from  200mg every 3 days to only 10mg per night is a big jump. Also, is it enough of a dose to keep your womb lining thin (I presume you’ll be monitoring this)?

Like you I have struggled with progesterone and am always alert to new alternatives becoming available, so hoping you get it sorted. Wishing you luck x

Blue Kingfisher

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2021, 08:55:13 AM »

Hi Perinowpost!

Yes I’m back….for the next round of HRT trials! I know what you mean about the progesterone & to be honest I didn’t pay much attention to the dose of the lozenge as I just assumed for some reason that they were 50mg a dose. I then read the packaging and contacted the lab & they confirmed the dose was actually 10mg a pop which really surprised me.

They either absorb very well/I’m very intolerant or it’s the drop in dose that’s causing my symptoms like you say. I often find I’m having to make 50/50 decisions e.g. increasing or decreasing oestrogel & I normally make the wrong choice! I’ve increased my oestrogel to 3 pumps daily and will see how it goes but no doubt I should have decreased the oestrogel from 2 pumps to 1!

The headaches & fatigue I’m getting feels very similar to when I was on the Utrogestan so perhaps it’s just taken a while for it to build up. Who knows?! Only time will tell - I just didn’t anticipate still trying to find the answer after 10 years!

xx

Marchlove

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2021, 11:47:13 AM »

Hi Blue Kingfisher
I’m also very new on the progesterone lozenges so thought I would just give you another view on it all.
I’m on 20mg and very low dose estrogen and doing ok so far. My clinician wants me to increase after awhile to 40mg, but still stay with very low dose estrogen, which she says to only take in the morning, with the progesterone of course at night.
Mood wise I’m doing ok.
Got a bit bloated and constipated but after I reintroduced the testosterone that seems to have sorted itself. Very strange, but that’s what happened!
Hope this might help. Her take seems to very much be that it’s high estrogen that causes all the mood issues and that the progesterone has to be at the right dose. xx

Marchlove

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2022, 09:23:49 PM »

Hi Blue Kingfisher.
Just looking at old threads and I’m wondering how it’s going for you with the Progesterone? Well, I hope xx

Blue Kingfisher

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2022, 07:53:13 AM »

Hi Marchlove,

No it’s not going well unfortunately but have put a message on the general alternatives thread that I will try upping the lozenge from 10mg to 20mg. How long have you been on 20mg or have you upped it by now?

Marchlove

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2022, 11:42:43 AM »

I’m still taking 20mg orally, as could not get on with it under the tongue!
Was told to wait another month before I increase it.
What issues are you having? x

Blue Kingfisher

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2022, 04:35:07 PM »

Ok that’s interesting Marchlove. How long have you been on the 20mg now? Also would be interested to know how much oestrogen you are on. I’m on oestrogel alternating between 2 pumps & 3 pumps. I suspect I may need to decrease the oestrogen but will try to hold steady as I’ve just doubled my pg from 10mg to 20mg so best just to tweak one thing at a time!

Marchlove

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2022, 04:17:09 PM »

Hi Blue Kingfisher.
I’m on B-est lozenges 80:20, which means it’s split into 1mg estriol and 0.25 estradiol which = 1,25mg in total.
I’ve been on the 20mg progesterone lozenge since December and although not perfect I’m certainly in a better place.
I take the estrogen in the morning and the progesterone just before supper. The reason I take the progesterone just before supper is that I’ve just discovered that if I do it that way I don’t get constipation.
The other thing I do now is I take my magnesium and zinc at lunchtime to calm the estrogen down mood wise.
Just thought I’d mention this as it might help others.
I’m not taking any testosterone at the moment until I’ve got completely settles on the E and P.
I’m 10+ years post menopause by the way.
Hope this helps! x