Menopause Discussion > Other Health Discussion

What have you found is the best Weight loss plan since hitting peri/menopause?

<< < (2/9) > >>

LadyCC:

--- Quote from: Ju Ju on September 08, 2021, 08:53:56 AM ---I’m intolerant to wheat. It wasn’t difficult to give up. It was a severe reaction. I immediately lost a stone within a month. This coincided with peri menopause. I’d become ‘chunky’ as one person told me. Then I was advised to limit sugar as my glucose levels were rising, with symptoms of pre-diabetes and a very strong family history or type 2 and late onset type 1. I took this seriously and lost another stone. I rediscovered my waist and am a healthy weight. I eat smaller portions, which is not difficult as I no longer want more. I limit processed foods, try and eat plenty of veg, although limiting starchy root veg. But I do have naughty treats. I don’t feel deprived. It’s now a way of life. Don’t eat late at night. I don’t after 7.00pm if I can avoid it. Listen to your body. Mine is very vocal if I eat too much.

--- End quote ---

Hey Ju Ju,

So far so good, pleased its working for you  :).  I have been advised that the most effective way to lose stubborn weight at this time of life is gluten free.  But similar to you, year on year my insulin levels have been rising and I have diabetes in my family.  Those treats are important arent they?  Im tired of seeing 'diets' where they tell you you shouldnt be having these things.  I get that they cannot be daily or regular occurrences but I think that everyone needs a treat now and again - after all, there are approximately 21 meals in a week, surely I can afford for one of those to be an indulgent meal!

I enjoy eating 'good' foods - I have scheduled an appointment with a nutritionist who has experience with creating meal plans for peri/menopausal women and a bunch of test results have come back for me so my fingers are crossed that she will be able to give me a 'structured' approach that finally works. 

I find people have been 2 ways to me - I can either see the shock and horror on their faces when they encounter me and see how much bigger I am or there are those who say nothing and then you catch them out of the corner of your eye making comments about you.  Unsurprisingly I havent been out much in recent months and certainly make sure its out of the town where I live and no one knows me to judge me  :-\

sheila99:

--- Quote from: Ju Ju on September 08, 2021, 08:53:56 AM ---Listen to your body. Mine is very vocal if I eat too much.

--- End quote ---
Mine is vocal if it thinks I haven't eaten enough  ;D
I eat the same as I've done all my life. I haven't had a problem until peri and now I seem to be on frequent diets. If you find a good answer let me know. I'm starting to think I have to eat smaller meals every day, I eat fairly healthily anyway. I think the food processors have a lot to answer for, hidden sugar and fat in may items. When I was a child you put some sugar on your cereal, now it's already in it so you can't avoid it (cornflakes, rice krispies etc not sugar puffs that you know will have too much in. Probably need more exercise too but that's hard when you feel sh*te.

LadyCC:

--- Quote from: sheila99 on September 08, 2021, 03:36:53 PM ---
--- Quote from: Ju Ju on September 08, 2021, 08:53:56 AM ---Listen to your body. Mine is very vocal if I eat too much.

--- End quote ---
Mine is vocal if it thinks I haven't eaten enough  ;D
I eat the same as I've done all my life. I haven't had a problem until peri and now I seem to be on frequent diets. If you find a good answer let me know. I'm starting to think I have to eat smaller meals every day, I eat fairly healthily anyway. I think the food processors have a lot to answer for, hidden sugar and fat in may items. When I was a child you put some sugar on your cereal, now it's already in it so you can't avoid it (cornflakes, rice krispies etc not sugar puffs that you know will have too much in. Probably need more exercise too but that's hard when you feel sh*te.

--- End quote ---

Hey sheila99

Yes, I will share once I do - re reducing eating, I guess it depends how its done - as long as you are eating dense foods and are not hungry then im sure this has its benefits.  Problem with a lot of general weight loss plans you eat less but lose the substance and they become unstainable.  As I understand it, its 80/20 food/exercise for weight loss and I have been advised that also the best exercise is strength rather than cardio for the, ehm, over 40s  ;)

Ju Ju:
Oh LadyCC, bless you! We tend to judge ourselves so negatively, don’t we? And most people are concentrating on themselves, rather than judging others. It hurts when someone gives a negative opinion, but actually it says more about them than you. And if possible, avoid!

Losing weight should be for you. And the best reason for is for health reasons. I do appreciate that clothes look far better on me now I’m slimmer, but I was sad to get rid of some clothes that are far too big now. In my 40s I had to buy size 16. Now 12 on top and bottom 10. Exercise is good, but you would have to do an awful lot to lose any weight. I benefit in other ways by walking, distance depends on how well I feel. If you ever see me running, you had better follow behind in case I’m running away from danger! :o

I’m a recovering chocoholic! But chocolate makes me feel rough, but now I have discovered a free from chocolate made with coconut sugar and milk! Still sugar in it, but not so bad as refined sugar. That’s my naughty treat.

LadyCC:

--- Quote from: Ju Ju on September 08, 2021, 05:53:57 PM ---Oh LadyCC, bless you! We tend to judge ourselves so negatively, don’t we? And most people are concentrating on themselves, rather than judging others. It hurts when someone gives a negative opinion, but actually it says more about them than you. And if possible, avoid!

Losing weight should be for you. And the best reason for is for health reasons. I do appreciate that clothes look far better on me now I’m slimmer, but I was sad to get rid of some clothes that are far too big now. In my 40s I had to buy size 16. Now 12 on top and bottom 10. Exercise is good, but you would have to do an awful lot to lose any weight. I benefit in other ways by walking, distance depends on how well I feel. If you ever see me running, you had better follow behind in case I’m running away from danger! :o

I’m a recovering chocoholic! But chocolate makes me feel rough, but now I have discovered a free from chocolate made with coconut sugar and milk! Still sugar in it, but not so bad as refined sugar. That’s my naughty treat.

--- End quote ---

Ooh Ju Ju - though I'm a savoury person very occasionally I feel partial to a bit of chocolate but also notice it doesnt necessarily make me feel great either - can you share the chocolate you refer to?

Well done to you for your weight loss - its so great to be able to look at yourself in the mirror and like what you see  ;D. 

I have been having a hard time for months.  I spent my teens and very early 20s being deemed 'chubby' and a bit of a joke amongst some, even those who were so called friends - everyone grew tall I only managed just over 5ft 1" so that didn't help.  My mum is tiny and slim and there was always comments about how little I took after her.  She has never had to watch her weight either.  In my 20s I managed my weight well and was slim throughout and managed to get back even when I had my kids in my early to mid 20s.  That continued in to my mid to late 30s but my weight went haywire when taken off the combined pill and put on other types.  I then managed pull it back in my early 40s only to have it go off piste again despite me not changing anything except my hormones changing and this new phase of life interrupting my weight health and well being. 

I am so tired of not being in control - I long for day that the activity I do and the food I eat finally clicks with my body and the numbers on the scales start going down and my clothes fit with room.  I would totally get it if I was eating badly but I am not.  I know a few woman at this and differing post menopausal stages in their life and when they put their mind to weight loss it works.  For some reason it is evading me despite my best efforts - This nutritionist is an attempt for her to refine the foods I eat specific to me as I think this may be the missing link perhaps.  I certainly hope this works - fingers and toes crossed  :).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version