Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 46

Author Topic: Tell us how you cope with poor sleeping  (Read 627402 times)

Tight Rope Dancer

Re: Tell us how you cope with poor sleeping
« Reply #525 on: January 22, 2014, 07:15:07 PM »

I'm just popping in to share a discovery I made very recently. I really hope this info will help other women who have lost track of what the cause of their problems are and what is caused by medical side-effects. You will soon see how this relates to menopausal problems... please take heed!

So - I've suffered from insomnia for 15 years, and had to manage it by taking ordinary sleeping pills but also psycho active medication. The latter is something doctors prefer to prescribe because it's supposed to be less harmful than hypnotics. It's not clear to me even to this day whether it's mostly just the fact that hypnotics CAN be habit forming. However only about 25 % of the population have tendencies towards addiction.

To cut a long story short, I had to alternate between anything the doctors would give me. The sleeping pills (i.e. hypnotics) were Zopiclone (non-benzo), Temazepam and Diazepam (benzos). The psycho active medication was Quetiapine (an anti-psychotic), Mirtazapine (anti-depressant), Amitriptyline (old generation anti-depressant) as well as Pregabalin (an all round drug mainly for neuropathic pain, and its predecessor was Gabapentin. I was able to tolerate these medicines for a long time until suddenly this summer I no longer was.

After a few months of trial and error, I realised that these medications were causing me very bad symptoms that I was initially ascribing to something else (just bad health, or perimenopause, or both). I got restless legs, itches, palpitations and more. This coincided with me turning 47 and realising that I was heading for menopause. Well, I'm obviously perimenopausal at the moment, as periods are a bit too frequent and erratic, and I've started to feel very overheated at night, and sleeping is even harder than before.

What I then realised as I started cutting out the meds (I had to do it in stages and alternate a great deal because I really needed some sleep too) was that my perimenopausal issues weren't at all as bad as I thought at first. They were exacerbated by the medicines. Now the IRONY is that many of these medications are supposed to make menopause EASIER! Especially Amitriptyline and Gabapentin come up as sleep aids during menopause. However, when I was coming off Pregabalin (which is similar to Gabapentin), I had terrible itches (including a VERY itchy and sticky fanny) for about a month. Of course I was a bit confused as to what was what but following my intuition paid off - once I got rid of everything except for the ordinary sleeping pills, I was almost normal again. My fanny stopped itching so badly as well and only feels a bit dry, which I hope to remedy by using oestrogen cream.

I even managed to get rid of the heart medication I was taking because my pulse had been racing so badly. Yes I do suffer from perimenopausal symptoms but most of them are quite mild. My life style is in keeping with the recommendations, that's plenty of seeds and nuts to eat as well as vitamin D, Magnesium, Cod liver oil, Spirulina and a couple of herbs (Shatavari at the moment and Black Cohosh soon when I run out).

What happened very recently after those months of reforming my medication use was that I started waking up every 2-3 hrs and found it impossible to get back to sleep. Internet research shows that this is common. It's a drag but I'm still feeling better since being able to kick the psychmeds. At the moment I'm alternating the sleeping pills as well as using Melatonin, because I have to have some sleep or I'll go mental. I also tried anti-histamine as a sleeping pill but it also exacerbated my perimenopausal issues. Please beware that anti-histamines are sometimes offered to relief the kind of itches I experienced! That can be more medication causing more harm on top of what is already going on. It's really as though what was supposed to help me also contributed to the problems. Granted I do have underlying health issues in terms of fibromyalgia, but I don't think that's the reason things went funny.

I'm worried about the idea of taking HRT. From what I can see, possible side-effects include all of those problems I had with the other medicines! That's itches, depression, mood swings, hairloss and palpitations. That's precisely what you don't need when you could already be having these issues due to your hormonal fluctuations.

My theory is that as my hormonal levels started to change, my body could no longer cope with medications that altered my brain chemistry and affected my body in many insidious ways. I actually think that my body showed great wisdom in that it's trying to maintain a good balance all on its own, and I need to assist it rather than load it with more stuff to deal with. Of course sleeping pills are chemicals too, but they don't seem to upset the hormonal balance that much. I will just have to see how it goes. I've been to a sleep clinic for integrated medicine in London but it wasn't very helpful, in fact the doctor was the one who insisted I take Mirtazapine and Pregabalin to treat the insomnia. I also already know about sleep hygiene and positive thinking. However, if you're interested in this kind of thing you can check out a book by Colin Espie called Overcoming Insomnia and Sleep Problems.

I really hope this experience is helpful to other women out there. Stay as natural as possible! All the best. Thanks for reading.

I have written about these trials on a blog, as well as my long experience of insomnia, please check it out if you want details > The Alchemy of Health>http://chronicillnesshealthissues.blogspot.co.uk

Linsey44

« Reply #526 on: April 25, 2014, 08:19:44 PM »

Hi, I'm still finding my way round the forum, so far so good lots of helpful info.

Was told I was peri-menopausal approx. 2012 and used to wonder why the week before my period my sleeping pattern was dreadful, took me time to realise it might be due to hormonal reasons.  How naïve was I when I thought that by having a hysterectomy (uterus only) in 2013 that this would improve.

So not the case, if anything it got worse, my ovaries seemed to struggle even more.  Recently started livial following BSO few weeks ago but don't know if this will have a positive effect on my sleeping.

I noticed someone else had mentioned melatonin and they said it was difficult to get.  In case anyone is interested I use a UK high st chemist that has an online dr who prescribes it for jetlag.  My husband uses it for a few days to help him get back in day shift mode after having done 2 weeks of 12hr night shifts or when he has had to travel overseas for work.

Considering using a tablet myself to see what happens, will let you know how it goes.

Taz2

« Reply #527 on: April 26, 2014, 08:10:33 AM »

Melatonin is a very useful drug. It's used quite often now in children with ADHD and also to help with come-down from drugs such as MDMA. If you Google Sleepfoundation.org/melatonin this will bring up their "booklet" on how it works and how much to use for restful sleep. I can't post the link as it has a commercial shop which isn't allowed under forum rules.

You used to be able to buy it in Holland and Barrett and I see it is still listed under their available products. Frequent flyer friends use it for jet lag and another uses it to help with her IBS. Let us know how you get on if you try it Linsey.

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #528 on: April 26, 2014, 10:03:13 AM »

How does it help with IBS Taz?

Honeyb
x

Rowan

« Reply #529 on: April 26, 2014, 11:05:37 AM »

I get my melatonin from BIOVEA uk here is their Blog  http://blog.biovea.com/

They sell the drops, slow release, chewable ( I use them, I have a container of nibbled tablets, they are strawberry flavour :))  capsules and tablets.

OH uses them occasionally.

Melatonin is so much more then a help for delayed sleep syndrome as Taz says

http://www.naturalnews.com/melatonin.html 

Its even been implicated in bone health.

The importance of melatonin is in the dosage and timing of taking it.

Lots of info on melatonin and IBS

Scientific or otherwise here is some   http://www.livestrong.com/article/435779-melatonin-ibs/
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 11:09:01 AM by silverlady »

Taz2

« Reply #530 on: April 26, 2014, 11:44:10 AM »

Thanks SL.

Taz x

Heron

« Reply #531 on: June 04, 2014, 02:36:37 AM »

I'm not coping with poor sleeping.  :(
Concentration non-existent, work suffering as a result. Mood very low, nerves frayed. I look terrible and have taken to comfort eating and sugar hits during the day simply to get through.
It's 3.30am now, I have to be up at 5.45am and think that is it for tonight as far as sleep goes.
Self-indulgent rant over!

toffeecushion

« Reply #532 on: June 08, 2014, 12:07:52 PM »

I am having trouble sleeping at the moment.  How much sleep is everyone getting?

Meggie

« Reply #533 on: June 09, 2014, 01:24:27 PM »

We have put an Ikea Mattress Topper (Sultan) on our bed and now we are oh so comfortable, 9 hrs is quite a normal night to us !

Meggie

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #534 on: June 09, 2014, 02:12:22 PM »

I cope by having a catch up in the afternoon when necessary or by sleeping 'in' …………..

Taz2

« Reply #535 on: June 09, 2014, 06:27:41 PM »

I have problems staying asleep. Fall asleep quite quickly but wake up after three hours and then do that dozing thingy until it's time to get up at 6. As long as I have five hours I can function well but I'm finding it a bit tricky at the moment. I hate sleeping in though so still get up at the same time at weekends - I feel like I have a hangover head all day if I stay in bed for an extra hour or two.

Taz x

Lady D

« Reply #536 on: August 04, 2014, 11:58:58 PM »

I'm one extreme or the other ie, last night and tonight I cannot get to sleep even though I feel tired!  But can also sleep for flippin' England!

Had enough tbh - feel like I should just give up work or go off sick :(  I now this isn't the answer though!

Oracle22

« Reply #537 on: September 11, 2014, 11:25:36 AM »

Hi I have been a poor sleeper for many years. But that said since I have been watching my diet and when I eat clean and exercise, I sleep much better.   By Clean I mean meat/fish/ poultry and  veg,  watch the sugar, caffeine, no processed food or alcohol and keep carbs low.  However I am one of the lucky ones,  I do not suffer from night sweats or Hot Flushes.

Taz2

« Reply #538 on: September 11, 2014, 11:44:36 AM »

Hi Oracle - it's good to hear different tips for sleeping. How far into menopause are you - fingers crossed you have escaped the dreaded sweats and flushes which have been by far the worst part of meno for me.

Taz x

janeymc

« Reply #539 on: September 16, 2014, 08:02:12 PM »

I have always been a really good sleeper - never any problems.  I am at the start of the menopause, but have not yet had many hot flushes or sweats,  however my big problem has been with sleeping.

I go to bed and then start to settle but I get really panicky and anxious and can't get to sleep - all kinds of things start to go through my head and it can take ages to get off to sleep.  Then I wake up two or three hours later and it all starts again.  Sometimes I just get up but sometimes I can't face it. Also, when I am asleep I have recurrent nightmares - mostly about my ex husband and the trauma I went through when we split up nearly 10 years ago(it was really awful - he left three weeks before Christmas, a week later my Mum died suddenly and then the week after that on Christmas Eve my sister died suddenly  - I had two very young children and at Mum's funeral the toddler jumped off her sisters bunk beds and broke her arms)

I am so terribly tired.  I have arthritis and the pain and stiffness is much worse the more tired I get.  I am going to see the Doctor tomorrow morning and I am scared that she will just give me sleeping tablets, which I don't want.  I can't have HRT because I have a heart valve problem and am waiting for an operation to correct it

I also seem to  get upset really easily - if I see something sad on TV, or a disabled person, or an old person struggling to get along I just start crying and I feel almost unbearably sad.

is any of this "normal" during the menopause?  I have had problems with irregular and heavy bleeding, but have had hysteroscopy and biopsies and all was normal so they say it is just hormones and fibroids.

Sorry to sound so down - I am just so fed up with feeling scared and tired all the time.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 46