Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 46

Author Topic: Tell us how you cope with poor sleeping  (Read 627390 times)

psycho

Re: Tell us how you cope with poor sleeping
« Reply #180 on: August 13, 2008, 06:01:20 PM »

Hi, I'm a newbie and I homed in on this thread because I have chronic sleep problems - which are now made worse by all this hormonal stuff!

Apologies if this has been mentioned before but has anyone here tried melatonin? I've tried practically everything - once my GP even prescribed "proper" sleeping pills (as opposed to the ones you can buy over the counter) and I only took one because the next day I was in zombie land, and quite honestly I'd rather have the insomnia. And I found that Nytol and herbal remedies worked but gave me really bad nightmares.

Anyway two or three years ago I "found" melatonin and it's great - no side effects, nothing. It's a chemical that we produce normally so it's quite safe, and it's not a tranquiliser which is why it doesn't leave you feeling hungover the next day - in fact, it's widely used for jet lag. The only drawback is that you can't buy it in the UK - but you CAN buy it (legally) on the internet.

Anyway, I'll stop banging on about it now in case anyone thinks I'm on commission or something! If you're interested to know more, I suggest Googling "melatonin" and reading up on it - this will also bring up a list of suppliers. Feel free to PM me if you want to know where I buy it from (again, I'm not on commission!).

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #181 on: August 14, 2008, 11:47:22 AM »

Usually I accept that my meds give me busy, involved, active dreams and last night's was especially busy - apparently I was singing out loud  ;D - but this morning I feel extra tired with that "I can't stand this weariness anylonger" feeling  :'(  ........ I tried to have a lay-in but my mind kept dropping off to sleep then waking with a jolt, remembering what a busy day I should be having.

CrisMet

« Reply #182 on: August 18, 2008, 08:09:35 AM »

Hi

I've just joined this forum and was interested to read so many stories on poor sleeping.  I was on HRT till a couple of weeks ago - i weaned myself off because I was worried about long term effects.

Since then, though I can go to sleep OK, i have been waking up between 3 and 4 am and sometimes I can't get back to sleep at all. I should add i have to get up at 5.30 to go to work, so i am feeling exhausted most of the time. 

I've taken Nitol to go to sleep and while it does help me drift off, it doesnt stop the night sweats and waking up during the night.

Needless to say, I am feeling quite fed up!

Any suggestions???

Taz2

« Reply #183 on: August 18, 2008, 08:23:55 AM »

Hi ChrisMet - welcome to the forum from me  :)

Trouble with sleeping and sweats were what drove me to HRT in the first place so I sympathise with how you are feeling but I'm afraid that I have not suggestions as HRT has been the only thing which has worked for me.

How long were you on HRT for and did you take quite a few months to wean off it as this can make a difference to how your body copes with the withdrawal.

Someone else will be along soon and you will find lots of support on here not to mention a few laughs along the way!

Love Taz x

CrisMet

« Reply #184 on: August 18, 2008, 08:43:59 AM »

Hi Taz

Thanks for the welcome.  Yes, it is good to know that there are people out there that are going through the same and we need a good sense of humour to keep us going!!

I weaned myself off over a couple of months taking a pill every other day.  To be honest, i am so forgetful that I used to miss a few days at a time and that's what prompted me to try and give HRT back.  My GP suggested that I should try in the summer (obviously he's got a sense of humour!) as you tend to have less bedding/clothing and it makes night sweats easier. 

Got an appointment with a (female) GP soon so will discuss with her what I can do next ...

Cris

hotashell

« Reply #185 on: August 18, 2008, 11:10:17 AM »

For the last two weeks I have woken up every 45 minutes after going to bed. While I'm literally lying boiling with the duvet kicked off, my hubby is blue with the cold so opening a window is not an option. Every hour during the night I lie firstly sweating and then clammy, feeling cooler but bathed in my own sweat. The heat is unreal, it seems to well up from inside me. The perspiration is across my forehead, down my nose, across my upper lip and the back of my neck mostly. When the 'flush' has passed though my whole body is cool and damp. I have a fan by the bed and also an electric one by my desk in work. The daytime sweats aren't as bad as the night but they are as frequent. I'm 46 years old and in the 'high cancer risk' category so HRT is out of the question.
If I have 5-10 years of flushes ahead of me I think I'll go barking mad. My short term memory is appalling, for some reason my breasts have gone up a cup size???? and my hair is lifeless. I'm giong to try starflower to see if there's any improvement

CLKD

« Reply #186 on: August 18, 2008, 02:56:29 PM »

:welcomemm: Newbies!

If Hubby is cold why not buy him a smaller duvet all of his own ........ so he can tuck himself in beside you knowing that at least he will maintain an even temp all night?  In Denmark where the idea of duvets was 'born' every one has their own, even on a double bed.

I am SO pleased that I don't have sweats like these reports ........ I can put up with the vivid dreams except for the occasional mornings when the weariness gets me down .......
 :foryou:

Rosebush

« Reply #187 on: August 18, 2008, 05:03:23 PM »

Think sleep deprevasion is the worst part of meno for me, coping with everything else i feel would be better if i could just get a nights sleep..

Hope things get easier for you psycho... Love the nick name.. :)

juliamd

« Reply #188 on: August 19, 2008, 04:48:55 AM »

I sooooooooooooo know what you mean thats why im on here at 5 in the morning!! ive been awake since 4am, would love to get on with some chores but will get moaned at for waking DH. Sleep seems to be no better even on hrt, although i have had a lot on my mind recently which hasnt helped at all.
love poppinsxx

CrisMet

« Reply #189 on: August 19, 2008, 10:57:03 AM »

Sounds like there is no answer to sleepless nights, eh - otherwise we wouldnt all be writing here ... :-\

Last night I tried a tea called "sleepy time tea".  Got it from Sainsbury's and it's a herbal tea to aid sleep.  I didnt wake up because i was hot - but my dreams woke me up!! ;D  I'm used to having weird dreams - have so many of them, I've often thought of writing a book ...

Will try something else tonight - maybe a large glass of wine????

DIPSY

« Reply #190 on: August 19, 2008, 11:18:16 AM »

Crismet, do you leave all the stimulants off after about 8pm, ie tea,coffee, if it is meno symptoms then just another thing we have to go through I suppose.  :-\   The hrt has helped me in that now the night sweats have eased off I get a better nights sleep, still feel tired in the day sometimes though, just our bodies way of saying slow down I suppose. I know it's another stimulant but maybe a large glass of wine would help you relax and drift off easier, I feel everything is worth a try. Love Dipsyxx

juliamd

« Reply #191 on: August 19, 2008, 01:32:35 PM »

It was a really 'naughty ' dream that woke me better than real life :safe: :safe: ;D ;D Days been downhill since lol
poppins

CLKD

« Reply #192 on: August 19, 2008, 02:43:34 PM »

:wub:

Tricia

« Reply #193 on: August 19, 2008, 02:49:02 PM »

HI to Hotashell & Chrismet  :welcomemm:

Welcome to the forum, as you will have found we are a good but nutty bunch of menochicks who are here to help each other through this period (pardon the pun)  ;D in our lives.

Love,

Tricia :-* :-* :-*

Micki

« Reply #194 on: August 19, 2008, 09:07:51 PM »

Poppins, maybe the after effects of the sedation  ;D
Hope your day got better this afternoon.

:welcomemm:
to the Newbies

Michelle x
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 46