Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 46

Author Topic: Tell us how you cope with poor sleeping  (Read 580856 times)

Hotflush

Re: Tell us how you cope with poor sleeping
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2007, 07:29:39 PM »

Just lately i have been going to bed with a DVD of yoga relaxation breathing exercises.  I have snuggled down and dropped off straight away after that and it is so nice to do after a shower.  If i have had bad times in the past then i stay up until my eyes are dropping and got up the same time next morning.  I hate the nights that i am tossing and turning and it feels i am concious the whole night and then i fall asleep about 4 or 5 am and then i feel so grogy a few hours later.

hotflush

poppyrose

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2007, 12:12:33 PM »

I have been taking night time Kalms which have been quite good, however, it is the waking up bathed in perspiration which gets to me. I have routine which I have to follow, if I do not then I cannot get back to sleep.

Here is something odd and I wonder if anyone is else affected in much the same way. When I have a sweat and I perspire I have noticed that I perspire quite a lot behind my knees! now why there in particular? I do not have any excess fat there, in fact my legs are quite thinnish, I can understand it when I have perspiration under my breasts, where I do have excess tissue (that gals is trying to put it politely  ;D LOL), but why behind my knees? I hate it, it really annoys me, especially if I get one while I am out and I am wearing jeans! Thinking about this I am wondering is I have some oestrogen receptors here and I am going to try applying my natural progesterone cream there to see if the uptake is any different/better!

Well, on the advice of ladyjane, I am going to try Melatonin to see if I can get a better nights rest. I have heard some years ago that Melatonin is meant to be good for treating jet lag and this is because it is thought that the natural production of Melatonin in the body is disrupted when your natural body clock goes out of sync, so taking this may help the body adjust faster to a new time zone or to the return of your normal time zone, on this premise, I wonder if this would be good to take to try and get the body back into some kind of normal sleep rhythm after our body being continually disrupted by broken sleep due to flushes/sweats or insomnia? If it is the melatonin disruption which may be the cause of prolonged insomnia in menopause, ostensibly because of sleep disruption brought on by constant disruptions in the first place, I wonder if we have at last got the egg before the chicken?

lots of Love Pops xxx :peace::peace::peace:

ladyjane

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2007, 04:53:09 PM »

Hi Pops
If you do decide to take melatonin, start  off at a low dose eg. 1mg and do take it fairly early about 9.30pm. Make sure you are not on the computer too late and don't expose yourself to bright lights . I use a sleeping mask aswell.
Love Sandy xxx

Tricia

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2007, 12:34:28 AM »

can I ask how those of you get on with night time Kalms as I tried the ordinary Kalms a few months ago when I seemed to be having a really nervous time and couldn't get myself out of the house, I only ever took one because the one I took made me feel all shaky inside so much so that I decided not to take anymore, I would be interested in finding out if this is normal or if it just a one off.

Love

Tricia :)

Tricia

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2007, 12:40:23 AM »

sorry I meant to say, I have said in my intro that my sleeping is all to pot, I am great all night until after 5ish and then can sleep until about 2ish in the afternoon, which as I said is not really conducive for living a full life, any suggestions would be great.

Love

poppyrose

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2007, 01:09:48 PM »

Hi Tricia  ;D

I did answer your post on the other thread about night time Kalms and you probably have read it so I won't drive you batty by repeating myself.  (If you stick around long enough you will discover that I can fairly be described as a little batty LOL) ;D ;D ;D

I take Day Kalms sometimes, especially when I feel stressed and find that they really do help me, the inner shakiness you have felt, may well be another menopausal symptom as I have felt this on many occasions, when I haven't even taken Kalms so I knew it wasn't them. The only way you are going to discover if it is a reaction to them is to take another and see. I take two by the way and have not had any side effects, not saying that you would not of course as each one of us is different, but they have certainly helped me on several occasions.

Lots of Love Pops xxx :peace::peace::peace:

Tricia

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2007, 03:26:48 PM »

Hi Pops, ;D

Thanks for your reply, I will try them again and see what happens, although I think I might just try the nght time ones and see if they help me to get to sleep earlier at night time, also you mentioned in the other thread that I might try chamomile tea slight problem there as it gives me heartburn, I used to drink it by the bucket load and I think I overdozed on it :stupid:, now I can't go near it  :(, as I loved it.

By the way Pops, I love your penguin piccie, yep made me laugh too ;D ;D

And now as she goes off on one of her rambles pray tell all you lovely people out there is heartburn a symptom of the menopause you see until my periods stopped last year for the glorious 6 months :ola:, I had never suffered from heartburn............ ::), well maybe on an odd occasion but now I getting to the stage where I am wondering what the dickens  ???, I can eat without comming down with the dreaded thing, my heart goes out to all those people who have suffered  ;D ;D, get it heart  ;D, sorry but I never realised how painful it can be (ouch!).

Love

poppyrose

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2007, 05:58:12 PM »

Hi Again Tricia  ;D

Yes fraid so, heartburn is another symptom of the men-o-bloody-pause! LOL I went through a really bad phase of getting really uncomfortable and bloated when I had hardly eaten a thing, it also gave me palpitations. I worked out that it was chocolate and caffeine were not doing me any favours, so the next step was to cut them out which I did. The chocolate wasn't so bad as I never have eaten much of it, but cutting right back of caffeine in coffee, tea and cola drinks was tough and I felt like hell for two weeks, but after this passed I felt much better. I also had an endoscopy last year and it was discovered that I have an acid reflux problem, so I have to take medication for this every day or I am in dire trouble! But generally I feel much better now.
What do you take for your heartburn? you could try Ranitidine or Cimtetidine which you can now buy over the counter, this may help you. But ultimately you should really see your docotr for persistant heartburn like this and let him/her make the assessment based on you medical history, sorry I know you probably did not want to hear this, but it is best to err on the side of caution.
Didn't you mention that you suffered with RA? This makes me wonder if you are perhaps taking meds for this and that quite possibly these may be causing your heartburn, (or adding to it)? Just a thought.

Glad you like the pic  ;D

Lots of Love Pops xxx :peace::peace::peace:

Tricia

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2007, 01:33:56 AM »

Hi Pops :) :thankyou: :foryou:, I think you deserve these just for your patience  ;D

I bet you are getting fed up of answering my questions  ;D, if my heartburn is really bad I take Gavilast although I used to take charcoal tablets as this was what my Homeopath recommended the only problem with the charcoal is I think they are good for rare and mild heartburn but not for this kind I have never felt anything like it and yes I think perhaps you are right and I should mention it to my doctor as just the other night I actually had projectile reflux which was new :-[, sorry to be so descriptive but this was a first for me, I have had the reflux before but not this  :-[ eeekkk.

Yes I did say I had RA but thanks to Homeopathy I no longer take orthodox medicine for it as I had my fillings changed a few years ago and what with the amount of EPA fish oils I take I find that with all the things I did I am able to keep it at bay although yes I have found that just lately my joints are beginning to play up a bit, but since reading that this can also be a sign of as you say men-o-bloody-pause, then this has put me at ease as I think that knowing why it is occuring helps you to cope, it's the not knowing that makes it scary :o, as for cola I found out a few years ago that fizzy drinks make my RA worse therefore I do not drink them, on the odd occasion I might have a glass of fanta but that is the only thing I can get away with :).

Sorry seem to have rambled a bit  ;D ;D ;D

Love

Tricia ;D

sue54

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2007, 05:09:53 PM »

Ginger is really good for indigestion. It really helps with the heartburn

Sue
 :-*

Tricia

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2007, 05:16:04 PM »

Hi Sue :)

Thank you for that I will certainly try it  :peace:

Love

Tricia :thankyou:

poppyrose

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2007, 12:36:06 AM »

Hi Ladies,  ;D

Yes Sue54 is absolutely right, ginger is great for heartburn and nausea, now why didn't I remember this? Flaming heck my memory is geting worse!

Once I was working on a gynae ward and we had a young woman in who was suffering from...wait for it....Hyperemesis Gravidarum....err what is she on about now? I hear you asking  ;D ;D ;D

Hyperemesis Gravidarum, simply means excessive sickness due to pregnancy  8) Why on earth they don't just say that is beyond me too  ::) But at least now you know.  ;)

Well this poor girl had this really badly and she was losing weight which is not good, she had been given all the drugs she could safely be given because of her pregnancy and still no let up, she was physically exhausted. Then by some good fortune we had a Gypsy lady admitted and she was put in the same bay in the opposite bed to the pregnant girl. She soon sussed the situation out and said, forget all those drugs give her some ginger beer, she'll soon stop. We didn't of course, so the next thing I know she had a relative bring in some and had given it to the pregnant girl to sip every 15 mins and within one hour she had actually stopped vomiting and within 2 hours for the first time in 2 months she had lost the feeling of nausea and that night she had her first night of undisturbed sleep for weeks. She went home a few days later able to eat and drink again, albeit in very small quantities.

Well this was one lesson we all learned on that ward, bearing in mind of course that this was in the days *before* complimentary medicines had taken off. But I have used ginger whenever I have felt nauseous ever since and it hasn't let me down once!

Lots of Love Pops xxx :peace:

Angel

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2007, 09:13:38 AM »

Hi
I havn't had a full night sleep since whenever. Sometimes I wake and can turn over and go straight back to sleep, but this last month or so it's been the flushes. They seem to have eased now (due to cycle??), but still dreadful sleep. I bought the night time Kalms on Saturday, and did sleep a bit better, but couldn't try them Sunday, as I was on-call with my job. I don't have a problem going to sleep, just staying asleep, and I have no worries at present, apart from lack of sleep!!
Yesterday my hubby bought me a download of something called 'Sleep time' - a relaxation/self-hypnosis CD. I went to bed last night with the little ear pieces in of my MP3 player, and relaxed. It was weird, I was listening to the man's voice and I did relax. I was aware that I wanted to move, and part of me was trying to think of other things (I think I was just testing the accuracy of the CD!), but I can honestly say I couldn't do either, and I couldn't open my eyes either! I was aware of hubby coming to bed, and he took the headphones off me, the CD had finished (25 mins), and I knew it had, but I couldn't speak to him, just turned over and slept!  I did wake a few times - couldn't open my eyes still! I trundled to the loo with eyes closed, straight back to bed and sleep.
The only downside was that it says you wake up refreshed, I felt like I had a bit of a hangover. I do sometimes wake like that anyway, without the alcohol I hasten to add! It says it may not work fully until up to 2 weeks.  I will definitely try it again and keep you all informed.

Angel  :)

Tanny

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2007, 10:53:14 AM »

forget all those drugs give her some ginger beer, she'll soon stop. We didn't of course, so the next thing I know she had a relative bring in some and had given it to the pregnant girl to sip every 15 mins and within one hour she had actually stopped vomiting and within 2 hours for the first time in 2 months she had lost the feeling of nausea and that night she had her first night of undisturbed sleep for weeks.

Lots of Love Pops xxx :peace:

I think ginger is supposed to be good for settling the stomach and have heard about using it for travel sickness. It is also an anti-inflammatory and helps with aches and pains. I get quite bad migraines and have found that fizzy drinks seem to help with the associated sickness.  I did think it was just Cola that worked, but with the last attack didn't have any in the house  and just used some fizzy Tango and it seemed to work the same.

suzieQ

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2007, 05:27:29 PM »

I am still struggling with it to be honest. I came off HRT patches ( Evorel Conti ) in December and in mid January had a vicious return to symptoms including this terrible insomnia which came on overnight. I've never had this before - slept well all my life. I tried a few things ( the usual herbs, over the counter stuff, melatonin etc) but nearly 3 weeks ago went back on HRT. My GP could see I was on my knees with only 3-4 hours sleep a night so she suggested a slightly higher dose to try to tackle the by now quite deep seated problem ( over 2 months of poor sleep) and help the sleep resolve, then phase down to a lower dose again. All the other horrid symptoms have gone - hurrah! - but the sleep is still a huge problem, with no sign of real improvement yet. Does any-one know how long I will have to wait to see an improvement? I am desperate! I know I should be patient but I long to sleep just a bit better - I take ages to fall asleep, wake often and have poor fragmented sleep. Any advice or wisdom would be much appreciated.
I feel like I'm only half alive and so fearful every night. Suzie Q
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 46