Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Fiddling around with doses - any advice gratefully received  (Read 965 times)

applejack

Hi

I had a biopsy recently (all clear) after continuous spotting for ten weeks (lining 8mm).  I spoke to Dr Currie after getting absolutely nowhere with my doctor. She made a number of recommendations. I'm currently on a 50 oestrogen patch and 100mg utrogestan continuously.

One suggestion was to drop to 25 or 37.5 patch. I dropped to 25 and the bleeding stopped YAY!  But now I'm not sleeping and feel wretched in other ways.

Second suggestion was staying on 50 and moving the utrogestan to 200mg. I got a letter from the hospital where I had my biopsy this morning, funnily enough, saying "take 200mg utrogestan" so they agree with Dr Currie!  Thing is - how long would you do this for?  Forever?  Or just for a bit. They both say "to control the bleeding" but once it's controlled I assume one goes back to 100mg and veers back and forth as and when?

I spoke to my own doctor about it and she said no!  You can't take 200mg continuously it's not recommended dosage, this is unlicensed! She recommended an evorel conti patch instead.

I'm happy to try the 200mg utrogestan but wonder if anyone has done this continuously, or if it's just a temporary thing? My doctor got into a right tizz about it.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Fiddling around with doses - any advice gratefully received
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 12:04:38 PM »

Your Dr will get in a tizzy.  If it's unlicensed they have to cover themselves.  I would ring the Dept that did my biopsy to find out what your GP might be worried about.  Also, put 'utrogestan' into the search box on the Forum to see what is suggested for short/long term use?

applejack

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 12:46:34 PM »

Well obviously I did a search first - most references to utrogestan 200 relate to the 12-25 day regime.  Any which refer to continuous don't say for how long.

Otherwise I wouldn't have asked.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2021, 01:48:48 PM »

Oh sorry I spoke ...........  :'(

applejack

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2021, 02:05:55 PM »

Hey, what no!!! I wasn't trying to be rude! Sorry!

I always do a search first and 8/10 times get the answer. I kind of assume that's par for the course.

True though - a lot of comments about the sequi issue where you take 200 for part of the month, which sadly isn't relevant. Actually, the questions about continuous were exactly the same as mine - asking for how long to take it because doctors just say "to control the bleed", which could mean anything. No one ever seems to get an answer (from their doctors).

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2021, 08:30:37 PM »

Evening: not many think to do a search B4 asking questions ...........

GPs don't know much about menopause, which is why it can be so tiring  :-\

applejack

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2021, 09:26:01 AM »

Ah, well, it would save a lot of time and yield instant results if you're lucky!

Dotty

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2021, 01:19:16 PM »

Hi Dr Newson just says you can take 200mg of Utrogestan if bleeding is a problem, but doesn’t say for how long.