Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Bleeding on HRT  (Read 1395 times)

Jules99

• First Flush
Bleeding on HRT
« on: June 21, 2021, 06:25:23 PM »

Hi, I’m 51 and been on HRT  for over 2 years now (one tablet progesterone and 2 pumps of estrogen gel) I was also on the mini pill until my Dr told me to stop having been on the HRT for 2 years. I was having some bleeding before stopping the pill that’s why I rang my Dr. A previous Dr had told me I needed to stay on the mini pill until I was 54!!

So since stopping the pill I bled a few days after and have continued to have a bleed fairly regular - last month 2weeks Late previous month 1 week early. My Dr told me I shouldn’t have a bleed with the combination of HRT I’m on. So said to give it a few weeks see how things go after stopping the pill. Well last week after intercourse I bled and the same happened at the wend. Needless to say my anxiety levels are through the roof!! This happened to me about 10 years ago and was put down to me being on the pill then it eventually stopped.

Anyone else had anything similar? I have a telecon with my GP tomorrow afternoon but still stressing out!

Thanks J x
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 07:17:52 PM by Jules99 »

Dandelion

Re: Bleeding on HRT
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 10:00:28 PM »

Hi, I’m 51 and been on HRT  for over 2 years now (one tablet progesterone and 2 pumps of estrogen gel) I was also on the mini pill until my Dr told me to stop having been on the HRT for 2 years. I was having some bleeding before stopping the pill that’s why I rang my Dr. A previous Dr had told me I needed to stay on the mini pill until I was 54!!

So since stopping the pill I bled a few days after and have continued to have a bleed fairly regular - last month 2weeks Late previous month 1 week early. My Dr told me I shouldn’t have a bleed with the combination of HRT I’m on. So said to give it a few weeks see how things go after stopping the pill. Well last week after intercourse I bled and the same happened at the wend. Needless to say my anxiety levels are through the roof!! This happened to me about 10 years ago and was put down to me being on the pill then it eventually stopped.

Anyone else had anything similar? I have a telecon with my GP tomorrow afternoon but still stressing out!

Thanks J x
Hugs
Sorry I just saw this message.
How did your phone call go with your doctor?
It's good you rang your doctor.
I've had problems with abnormal bleeding on hrt and have had a hysteroscopy which showed nothing sinister.
The hrt has been tweaked a few times but the bleeding returns so I keep getting scans.
The last scan found fibroids, but my GP doesn't think they are not a problem and definitely not cancer.
I am awaiting a gynaecological appointment just to make sure all is still well, I will probably hopefully find out how big the fibroids are, I imagine small as they would have been discovered at the last scan in October.

Jules99

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2021, 06:33:46 AM »

Hi, thank you so much for replying  😊 my Dr has arranged me an appointment to see her next week to have a look at my cervix to check everything looks ok. She’s also referring me for a scan but I have to stop taking my HRT!! Guidelines are Gynae won’t scan unless you have been off your HRT for 4 weeks!

She did ask me how I felt about that as my anxiety was so bad post HRT!! But I said if it’s what I have to do to get checked out I will stop so I stopped taking it last night! Still feeling worried……
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 06:36:07 AM by Jules99 »

Dotty

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2021, 07:43:28 AM »

Hi the bleeding could be caused because you are not post menopausal and so your body is not ready for a continuous regime of HRT. You might be better on a sequential regime . x

Wannabewell

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2021, 08:31:01 AM »

Hi Jules,

I hope all goes well at your appointment(s).  Sorry to hear you’re having to stop the HRT for four weeks, did the say why? 

Let us know how you get on.

x

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2021, 11:06:51 AM »

Hi Jules.Its good that you have been referred for scan but a nuisance that you have to stop HRT. The withdrawal of progesterone may cause a bleed so don't be alarmed.

How long have you been bleeding after sex? Do you have vaginal dryness/atrophy?

Taz x

Jules99

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2021, 02:00:39 PM »

Hi Jules,

I hope all goes well at your appointment(s).  Sorry to hear you’re having to stop the HRT for four weeks, did the say why? 

x
Dr just said that in order for me to have a scan Gynae would only allow it if I hadn’t been taking my HRT for at least 4 weeks. This is to assess if it was the HRT causing my bleeds!

I’m rather confused because I was on the mini pill for so many years and the HRT the last 2 so I wasn’t having any bleeds. So I wasn’t sure if my regular period had stopped or not. And because you can still have a period until the age of  54 what’s to say that I’m still having a period so coming off the HRT wouldn’t make any difference to my bleeds! 🤷🏻‍♀️ Dr did say she could just increase the progesterone but wanted to investigate first and rightly so. 😊

Jules99

• First Flush
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2021, 04:34:20 PM »

Hi the bleeding could be caused because you are not post menopausal and so your body is not ready for a continuous regime of HRT. You might be better on a sequential regime . x
[/quote
Hi, than you for you reply. I did wonder this myself that’s why I wanted to stop the pill to see what as going on! I had my fingers crossed that my P had already left the building. But I will mention this next week at my appointment, I’ve got lots of questions. At the time I went on HRT my Dr wouldn’t do a blood test she said they go by symptoms. Also because I was on the pill it wouldn’t give a true reading.

Jules99

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2021, 04:39:37 PM »

Hi Jules.Its good that you have been referred for scan but a nuisance that you have to stop HRT. The withdrawal of progesterone may cause a bleed so don't be alarmed.

How long have you been bleeding after sex? Do you have vaginal dryness/atrophy?

Taz x

Hi,

Yes I did wonder about this myself!! The bleeding after sex has only happened in the last week. I don’t suffer from dryness all the time just occasionally. I have had this bleed before after sex about 10 years  ago. I had scans and nothing showed so it was put down to cervix erosion from being on the pill. Then it just settled down until now.

Dotty

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2021, 05:28:57 PM »

Hi if you are still peri menopausal then you will need to carry on using contraception. Your ptevious GP was probably right that you need to take the mini pill for contraceptive purposes until you are 54. X

Dandelion

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2021, 01:01:04 AM »

Hi, thank you so much for replying  😊 my Dr has arranged me an appointment to see her next week to have a look at my cervix to check everything looks ok. She’s also referring me for a scan but I have to stop taking my HRT!! Guidelines are Gynae won’t scan unless you have been off your HRT for 4 weeks!

She did ask me how I felt about that as my anxiety was so bad post HRT!! But I said if it’s what I have to do to get checked out I will stop so I stopped taking it last night! Still feeling worried……
Hi
Sorry for the late reply.
It's good you got Dr appointment.
Where are you getting these guidelines from?
I bled on hrt for a long time, I had 3 scans and did not have to stop my hrt.
I would double check what a Dr says, one Dr told me scans are not reliable to test for womb lining thickness, another doctor was happy to refer me.

Dandelion

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2021, 01:02:53 AM »

Hi Jules,

x
Dr just said that in order for me to have a scan Gynae would only allow it if I hadn’t been taking my HRT for at least 4 weeks. This is to assess if it was the HRT causing my bleeds!

I’m rather confused because I was on the mini pill for so many years and the HRT the last 2 so I wasn’t having any bleeds. So I wasn’t sure if my regular period had stopped or not. And because you can still have a period until the age of  54 what’s to say that I’m still having a period so coming off the HRT wouldn’t make any difference to my bleeds! 🤷🏻‍♀️ Dr did say she could just increase the progesterone but wanted to investigate first and rightly so. 😊
I saw Gynae and didn't have to stop HRT to get scans or hysteroscopy.
I was under 54.

Jules99

• First Flush
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2021, 04:40:15 PM »

Hi
Sorry for the late reply.
It's good you got Dr appointment.
Where are you getting these guidelines from?
I bled on hrt for a long time, I had 3 scans and did not have to stop my hrt.
I would double check what a Dr says, one Dr told me scans are not reliable to test for womb lining thickness, another doctor was happy to refer me.

Jules99

• First Flush
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2021, 04:46:18 PM »

Hi, my Dr said I needed to stop my HRT in order to get a scan as they are trying to establish if it’s the HRT causing my bleed or something else?

I have a list of questions to ask her next week! Like why am I taking progesterone every day when no one as any ideas if my periods have stopped because I’ve been on the mini pill? Or is that the reason why because I wasn’t having any bleeding?

Just wish I could  have a blood test to try and find out exactly what is going on with my hormones!!

Also as warned above I have started to bleed again after stopping my HRT! 🙈
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 04:48:10 PM by Jules99 »