Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Osteo arthritis in hands  (Read 2392 times)

Sandra W

Osteo arthritis in hands
« on: June 20, 2021, 11:29:23 AM »

Hi Ladies,
does anyone have osteo arthritis in their hands? Or did you have it before taking HRT? I am wondering if adding some oestrogen might help my hand pain symptoms.

Tinkerbell

Re: Osteo arthritis in hands
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2021, 11:41:52 AM »

Yes i have it in a few of my fingers, i have been on systemic HRT for 5 years and it hasn't made any difference.

Lamplighter

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2021, 01:00:25 PM »

Hi Sandra W, ditto as Tinkerbell - got it from gardening and HRT has made no difference (been on HRT off and on for seven years and it started afterwards).  Having said that, HRT has certainly helped with pain and problems I've had with other joints (hips primarily).  Always worth a try...  :)

Aprilflower

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2021, 01:52:35 PM »

I get some pain in my hands, mainly my left which is strange as I am righthanded.  I also get some pain and stiffness in my left hand thumb joint, which may be the tendon as it goes up my arm in a mini spasm.

Have never been on HRT and think it's just the dreaded ageing process.  ::)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2021, 02:35:47 PM »

I replied to this earlier  :-\   what I was trying to share was, after lots of cutting back of a Winter flowering honeysuckle yesterday, my wrists have ached - not enough to take 'nurofen'.

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2021, 04:59:38 PM »

I believe oestrogen can slow the progress of OA but not cure it. I had pain in my hips that went when I started on hrt but it hadn't been bad enough to see a doctor and presumably wasn't OA. Worth a try imo.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2021, 06:49:07 PM »

OA is natural wear and tear of joints due to constant use.  We evolved upright so the pressure throughout the joints is impacted from the time we get out of bed.  Gaps between joints become dry  ::) which allows them to rub together = pain.  Upright was not the way to go !! think of chimps that walk bent over ;-)

'nurofen' when necessary helps my symptoms.

suzysunday

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2021, 08:21:24 PM »

I've got a horrible mucous cyst on my finger joint and the nail has gone weird.  Other finger joints painful too.  I was also wondering if hrt would help.  I'm just on local. Also got hip pain. I really hate it! Aargh!

jaycee

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2021, 10:39:17 PM »

I have been on Livial for a few years, stopped it for a while but then had very painful knees,went back on it and pain stopped
A Dr at my surgery rang about 3 months ago and suggested i come off it again, due [as she said] to possible breast cancer links,
I stopped again, but now have not only painful knees, also painful hands,and elbows,
I sleep on my back and often wake up with arms behind my head,i can hardly move my arms without pain in my elbows,very stiff, also aching hips, groin, and back
Walking up and down stairs i feel it badly in my knees
In fact aching all over,i feel i have aged in about 2 months
I am going to ask my own Dr for it again,
I dont like Drs i have never seen or spoken to suggesting i stop taking certain things when they don't know my history

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2021, 06:45:03 AM »

jaycee - why did you stop if the regime was working  :-\

GPs still quoting the cancer 'risks'  >:(  :bang:  -   did he also say that alcohol and being over weight are more likely to cause cancer than HRT?  Let us know how you get on, sometimes the regime won't help if one goes back to it. 

'getting stuck' in a position - why does the brain allow that to happen  :o !  it must know that we will be painful when trying to uncurl, we're not slots are we  ::)

jaycee

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2021, 08:53:58 AM »

I stopped for a few months as i was losing hair and wondered if it was connected to the Livial,as it has androgenic properties,
I didn't notice any difference in my hair,but my knees got very stiff and painful,
A newish Dr rang me and said you need to stop the Livial as it can cause breast cancer i explained what had happened before but she stopped it anyway,as she said the risk was too high
I am in my 70s,by the way,and a few years agostarted having night sweats, was also having flushes for years,my own Dr agreed to let me go back on Livial after quoting him the Nice guide lines,
At my age i think i still should have some quality of life
I am faily sctive and look after myself
Im not someone who wants to sit around knitting in my slippers etc

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2021, 09:01:02 AM »

Hi jaycee. Could you use a different HRT to Livial as tablet HRT isn't advised for over 60's due to the risk of stroke. This may be what your GP was thinking. Could you swap to a patch?

Taz x

suzysunday

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2021, 10:30:38 AM »

I thought that livial was specifically for older women, post meno though not over 60s.   I was on it for a while age 62 and I came off for other reasons, but my gp would have been happy to continue prescribing for longer.  I think Jaycee that it is wrong for the gp to just take you off something.  I think if the risks are explained to you , you should be given a choice.   It's your life and it's quality that counts.   It annoys me because over the years GPS have given me stuff and never mentioned risks, not hrt stuff but other things.   Then if you get bad side effects, eg tinnitus that I got, they just deny it.  Just fobbing you off on the phone is very demoralising

jaycee

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2021, 11:09:27 AM »

*Taz* i did try Evoral Conti, but that DID make my hair shed a lot,i think it was th particular prgestrone in it,same happened to my daughters hair when she was given it,
I did ask this Dr if i could try another type of patch and she said it has the same risks
I am going to try to speak to my own Dr, but it is difficult to see anyone now face to face, and as he is so popular he has a long list of phone callers to answer, [apparently]
I think it is disgusting now you have to go through the receptionists first
My hair stopped shedding ages ago, but just not growing back,
I have tried Regaine for 8 months now and no difference

suzysunday

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2021, 11:18:33 AM »

Can you book a telephone appointment with this doctor specifically, saying it is an HRT issue?  It's a nightmare with the GPS now .  Has this doc just left you with nothing?
Pages: [1] 2 3