Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Thin skin.  (Read 1971 times)

Ju Ju

Thin skin.
« on: June 17, 2021, 04:40:25 PM »

I’m 67. Small knocks on my forearms results in large and small purple bruising, which is unsightly. Now, because of the warm weather and bare arms, my arms do not have protection and glancing, hardly noticeable knocks have resulted in removing surface skin/sliced skin. I have to be careful on what kind of plaster I put on, so that it doesn’t tear the skin when removing. Housework has become hazardous. The washing machine/tumble dryer doors and doors generally have to be approached with caution. As to making the bed ( heavy mattress on a wooden frame)……..! It’s almost funny, with arms covered with three large plasters today. My father had this problem, but at a greater age. Not sure that there is anything that I can do. Bloods ok and confined to my fore arms. Anyone have this?

sheila99

Re: Thin skin.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2021, 06:20:31 PM »

Have you seen your gp? My dad had problems with fragile skin but he was in his 90s. Whilst it's not unusual in the elderly you're still a spring chicken in comparison. Sorry, no advice but maybe your gp can help.

Postmeno3

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2021, 06:40:11 PM »

Is it to do with the clotting factor in your blood? Hopefully someone will be along with experience and knowledge to help you.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 07:01:07 PM »

Many years ago I took my dog as a visitor to a retirement home, 1 lady had very thin skin so we had 2 avoid getting too close.

I think it's a side-effect of ageing. 

Ju Ju

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 07:37:06 PM »

I know! And yes, I’m a spring chicken! I saw the doctor over the bruising, as people kept asking what was wrong, but she wasn’t at all concerned. Had bloods taken just in case. Said it was trauma and as it was confined to my arms, it was not a problem. Dad said it was common to bruise like this in our family from 60 on. But the skin coming away with a knock is new. I would have gone straight to the doctors if it was happening elsewhere.

Postmeno3

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2021, 07:43:53 PM »

What are your B12 levels like?

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2021, 08:05:36 PM »

A gentle creaming might encourage blood vessels to the surface to help repair the skin? 

Kathleen

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2021, 09:13:32 AM »

Hello JuJu.

Am I right in thinking that you have asthma and use inhalers? If so I wonder if they contain steroids which are known to thin the skin.  Sorry if I've got that all wrong but I thought that it was worth a mention.

I hope you get your skin problems sorted out soon and please keep us updated.

Take care.

Ju Ju

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2021, 09:54:08 AM »

Yes, I do have asthma and have since a baby. The doctors insist that only oral steroids would have this affect and mainly I only use inhalers. I used to have severe eczema on my hands (much, much less of a problem with getting older) and was prescribed steroid ointments for years. I do find I can knock a lump of skin from my fingers. I blame that on the ointments. Haven’t used steroid ointments for years. Plus emulsifying ointments are better now. Never used steroid ointments on my forearms. DH says I should use that pipe insulation stuff on my arms! I have piles of plasters for sensitive skin and have threatened the doors and door frames and handles!

Suza

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2021, 11:08:34 AM »

Hi Ju Ju
I'm 63 now and I've suffered with exactly the same symptoms as you for probably the past 3 or 4 years.
Mine started with my hands, any small knock would result in a red purplish bleed under the skin which would spread out. I now get this on my arms too.
It's really strange though as some weeks I can do anything and no marks appear, then some weeks I'm covered in them.
I've also had blood tests and nothing showed up.
My gran also had this so possibly hereditary.
I've had it while both on hrt and off hrt so no connection there
I've got very bony hands so maybe not enough fat to protect them! Unlike the rest of the body unfortunately!
I do like the suggestion for the pipe insulation !!

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2021, 11:38:35 AM »

Pipe insulation on all door handles?  Be careful of slippers too, they can bite back  ;D    1 of mine flew off my foot then I managed to step back into it, never a pause made  :rofl:

sheila99

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2021, 12:01:55 PM »

Perhaps you need a Michelin Man suit?  ;D

Ju Ju

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2021, 12:15:45 PM »

I’ve pipe insulation on the door handles! Might have to replace door handles. Ones that aren’t out to get me! I think I would look quite cute in a Michelin suit!  ;D Bit hot though.

Suza, I think this must be hereditary too. My Dad said said he and his many cousins had the same. I’m more concerned about the skin injuries. Got a few scars now and new injuries are painful. Might have to give up housework!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 12:20:17 PM by Ju Ju »

Suza

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2021, 01:39:41 PM »

That sounds like an excellent idea!!