Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Help choosing supplements  (Read 4078 times)

Staceylou

• First Flush
Help choosing supplements
« on: June 11, 2021, 08:26:05 PM »

Hi. I'm new to the group. I need help choosing a supplement. I'm perimenopause bought on early by chemo.
Currently taking evening primrose and starflower capsules.
Bad pms, last period was 16 days apart, dry eyes, constant sore boobs, bloat.
I could go on lol
I would rather go naturally and just get something to help with the symptoms.
Thanks. X

hereandthere

Re: Help choosing supplements
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 04:02:45 AM »

Hi Staceylou
I’m so sorry to hear about what you are going through.
I’m currently tapering off HRT due to ADH (so only Pre-cancerous) in the breast.
I can’t recommend at this stage personally except to say that I know with invasive breast cancer you can still take vagifem for vaginal dryness. Not sure about other cancer.
I have been given a probiotic vaginal spray, Femolene and will start the vagifem when I come off the HRT entirely.
Regarding oral supplements I’m also as keen as you are to hear.  Before going on HRT I read that no natural things work anything as well as HRT, but what do we do. 🤷🏻‍♀️ 
However I know someone who takes gabapentin to regulate sleeping and I think also flushing. It’s a neuro drug which was found to help with meno symptoms as a side effect. Not exactly a supplement but sharing anyhow.
With regards the bloat, I’ve always suffered from this and I can say that since starting intermittent fasting in 2019, I don’t have it mornings, simply because I’m not eating. So at worst I can recommend this for giving your body a little break, even if it comes back. (I do the 16/8 IF).
In your case the bloating isn’t food related but it may still be worth trying.
Did you start the primrose oil and star supplements apart from each other and if so, which seemed to help most?
I’m sure you’ve read this type of article, but we need those who’ve taken some of them to comment.

https://www.healthline.com/health/womens-health/how-to-increase-estrogen#herbal-supplements

Jett

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2021, 05:23:01 PM »

Hi StaceyLou,

I am trying the natural route too, I reckon it would be good to run these suggestions past your doc before you started taking any.  The ones which are not estrogen based are probably safer given the chemo, so need to be careful of this on any products with multiple ingredients.

I have found Vitex/Agnus Castus good for PMT like rage and crazy mood swings

The oils you are taking should help with dryness but you need to be careful not to take too many oils.  I swapped mine for sea buckthorn oil which is helping dryness - VA and should also help eyes

I also take gentle iron, a magnesium supplement to help with sleep, calcium and a sage supplement to help with hot flushes.

I am no expert and not sure how safe the above would be for you.  I have uterine fibroids so need to steer clear of the estrogen based stuff so I’m hoping that might make them an option for you but you should check with an expert.

Hope this is of some help,

Jett xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2021, 05:32:47 PM »

welcome - are you through your treatment and how long ago was your final session? 

4 anyone suffering with vaginal atrophy: we have threads about this condition as well as 'bladder issues' : the best treatment is either 'vagifem' or 'ovestin' and I believe there is a newer product available from the GP.  This should not interfere with any chemical treatment.

As oestrogen levels drop so the body may become dry: inside and out.  A good moisturiser for the skin can help, I use either 'Nivea' or 'vaseline' hand cream, not much is required 2 keep the body supple and less itchy.

Do beware that 'natural' products may not be helpful.  Think about which symptom you would like to ease first, Holland and Barrett might be the place to begin researching.  Peri and the menopause is a natural progression, sometimes the symptoms can be awful :-(((😣. 

Some find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary useful.  A good overall diet as well as regular exercise will stop the onset of osteoporosis .  Keeping hydrated too is important.

Let us know how you get on.  Nowt is taboo on here ;-).

PMT can be eased by eating every 3 hours, to keep the body fuelled.  That sudden hunger dip 4 me was awful  :'(, the nausea floored me.  Eating 24/7 even in the night saved my Life. 

Postmeno3

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2021, 06:09:01 PM »

Can definitely vouch for Sea Buckthorn. Magnesium is more readily absorbed and subsequently more effective transdermally. So, Epsom Salts baths if you can tolerate that or a magnesium spray if not. I suggest you try one thing at a time so you get a clearer idea if it's working. Good luck.