Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Seborrheic keratosis ("senile warts")?  (Read 10367 times)

Postmeno3

Seborrheic keratosis ("senile warts")?
« on: May 20, 2021, 09:09:23 PM »

Does anyone else get these? The lay term is right up there with "atrophy", isn't it?! Makes one shudder. I just read that these, too, may be (surprise, surprise!) hormone-related. I find them really embarrassing and am no longer comfortable exposing my upper chest/neck or back area because I have so many, some quite large. I do get them checked regularly, but the gp, who refused to freeze them off, just said "Embrace them. They're just to be embraced as all other aspects of ageing!" Hard to swallow when I feel like I'm covered in barnacles and still counting.....

Penguin99

Re: Seborrheic keratosis ("senile warts")?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2021, 09:30:59 PM »

My husband has this. More appearing too. I was concerned as one "changed" and became very dark, he was referred and thankfully all fine 🙂.  He's never thought of having them removed, at first when we didn't know what it was, I arranged for him to have a private appointment,  if he wanted it removed it was £150, he never bothered.

Gnatty

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2021, 10:54:34 AM »

I have these too. I read up on home remedies a few years ago and the one that worked for me is apple cider vinegar. You soak a make up pad and then stick it on with a bit of sellotape! Does it work - well, yes but you smell like a chip shop and it does look worse before it then kind of just peels off. And it did feel a bit sore. It is a bit of a faff and I keep telling myself to get rid of a few more, but I don't seem to get round to it.

Postmeno3

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2021, 11:00:46 AM »

Hi Gnatty. That's interesting. I've read about these sorts of home remedies for skin tags, but not the warts. Hmmm.....🤔!

Gnatty

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2021, 11:02:48 AM »

There was one man who said he was covered in them- he soaked an old shirt in ACV wore it I think for 24 hours, covered it in bin liners I guess to stop drying out and he said every single one of them was got rid of! But can you imagine doing it??

Postmeno3

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2021, 11:26:32 AM »

Erm.....no! Are you sure these aren't tags? The warts are really rooted in under the surface. Hard to imagine ACV would help, but, hey, anything's worth a go!

Gnatty

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2021, 02:02:03 PM »

Dead sure! I have got rid of three myself this way. They seem to dissolve and then just scratch off.

Postmeno3

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2021, 02:21:41 PM »

Wow, interesting. Trouble is, mine are in really awkward places, but I could experiment with some of those in easier ones. How long do you leave it on for and how long does it take to clear and heal? Anyone else with these? Do we add them to the long list of oestrogen deficiency outcomes? They only arrive in later years.....
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 02:23:43 PM by Postmeno3 »

Gnatty

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2021, 04:25:53 PM »

Hmmmm. I think it depends on how big and how long you have had them for. Probably if you google apple cider vinegar and sebor.... warts you will find more info. I think it took a couple of days, as I recall. It does sting a bit once been on a while. I think I used to redo morning and night. Let us know how it goes!

Postmeno3

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2021, 04:31:10 PM »

My understanding is more just come up in a new place. This is why the gps mostly refuse to do them as it's deemed a bit counterproductive. It's a shame as they can be frozen off in seconds as would happen privately. Have yours come back or sprung up elsewhere? Hoping to hear others' experiences, too.

Gnatty

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2021, 07:18:59 PM »

I don't think the two are related. If you are prone to them, more just keep coming unfortunately. I can't see it would make sense for us to get rid of one and then our bodies think  - aha I'll just grow another one, that'll teach you!

Julia Dizzy

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2021, 02:31:21 PM »

Hi, my Gp diagnosed a large "senile wart" on my thigh which was about 7x5mm and starting to show a lump under my leggings.

I had tried to freeze it myself first with a Scholl wart remover, but it just seemed to get bigger and uglier, which is why I then contacted Gp who called me in straight away.
He explained what it was and that it wasn't dangerous but it would not respond to freezing nor would it just drop off on its own. The NHS will not remove them.

So I contacted a local skin clinic (just googled "wart removal near me") and 2 weeks later had it removed by a Sterex electrolysis machine. It was slightly uncomfortable for a bit but bearable. Took her about 15 mins to take it off because it was so big. I paid £130 to have it done.

She gave me a tube of Sterex witch hazel gel too and told me to treat it like any wound and just leave it uncovered where possible or wear loose trousers or skirts, to wipe gently with warm water if it bled (which it didn't) and apply the gel. I have not messed with it at all and 2 weeks on its is healing nicely. She told me to keep an eye out for any more and to have them removed before they get that big again. Fingers crossed I don't seem to have any more so far.

I also have skin tags and a few beige keratosis skin spots which I have been told is sun damage, but they are not bothersome or too big.

If I had gone private to my local BMI hospital dermatology clinic it would have been £240 just for a consultation (to tell me what I already knew??!! :o) and then an extra amount for the removal of it!

Hope you find a solution to yours. x

Postmeno3

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2021, 04:02:15 PM »

Thanks so much!!!!!

Postmeno3

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2022, 10:48:52 AM »

Hi,
I'm raising this again as mine are increasing/worsening since starting HRT. Is this yet another thing that gets ascribed to "old age" and "nobody really knows (cares?) what causes them" as if it doesn't matter because one is older? I'm convinced it's hormones! 🤔
« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 11:41:05 AM by Postmeno3 »

Gnatty

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2022, 11:37:37 AM »

I think they always seem worse in the summer months as I think sun anywhere on your body darkens all these wretched age related lumps and bumps.
Pages: [1] 2