Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Fibroids  (Read 1498 times)

Shonar

• First Flush
Fibroids
« on: May 13, 2021, 05:33:42 PM »

Hi recently had vaginal scan due to lower abdo / pelvic pain which showed multiple fibroids.  Still getting pain with nausea ,vomiting and altered bowel habits. Anyone any advice /experience please

applespider

Re: Fibroids
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2021, 02:25:45 PM »

I've recently been diagnosed with a single large fibroid (over 15cm) which has caused some urinary/bowel changes - primarily having a much lower tolerance to how long I can hang on - and general discomfort due to abdominal pressure.  That primarily manifests as not being able to lie on my front, bloating and some reflux as top of my uterus pushes up on stomach. 

In addition, my periods have become slightly haphazard - mid-cycle spotting, every few periods being very heavy then barely there. I'm 47 and GP is struggling to say with whether the symptoms are peri-menopausal or fibroid-related.  I've had very occasional insomnia (2-3 nights per month) but as I'm also going through a redundancy situation and have noisy neighbours, that could be coincidental. 

I've got a few cyclical symptoms - new rosacea flare-ups, tooth-ache/headache - that seem to occur mid-cycle but that could be due to higher oestrogen due to the fibroid.  It's so hard to know.

My consultant has advised having a partial hysterectomy as due to the size of the fibroid, some of the other medical and minimal access surgeries aren't available to me.  I've got a few more questions but am likely to go ahead with this despite the 'yikes' factor.  Even with menopause looming, there's no guarantee that it will shrink my existing one to be asymptomatic and if I wanted to take HRT, that would just extend its growing time!

The NHS information on fibroids https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/fibroids/ is a useful starting point but your treatment options probably depend on how multiple they are, their location, how large they are and your age.  Some of the treatments will stop them growing and should shrink them - but don't stop new ones forming.  And the location is key too - some smaller ones in awkward spots can be more disruptive than larger ones.  Assuming that post-scan, you've got a referral to see a gynaecologist to get some specific options? 

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2021, 03:03:37 PM »

Had large fibroids,tried everything,had an endometrial ablation done,didn't help,eventually had a hysterectomy,leaving ovaries,best thing I did,wish I'd done it sooner as the clots I was passing were huge and the flooding unbearable, I became very anaemic,so it was the only option left but having it done gave me my life back, I had it done vaginally so it was quite a quick recovery,good luck x

Gnatty

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2021, 03:38:46 PM »

This is me too now, my fibroid has grown large, just seen the consultant. Too big apparently for vaginal route so I will get the bikini scar. He was of the opinion that ovaries should come out too especially as I am on HRT. Any thoughts about that? Have they offered you any treatment Shonar?