Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Coming off HRT at 60 - how long will the cold turkey last?  (Read 1640 times)

Badga

Coming off HRT at 60 - how long will the cold turkey last?
« on: June 14, 2021, 09:00:19 AM »

I have used Estrogel (on and off) with Mirena (on my second one) for some years now.

I am 60 this year and both my GP and I agree for me to come off HRT.  However, I have only used the gel sparodically over the time I have been on it, when the hot flushes became too bad.

The main reason for my going on HRT was the hot flushes.  However, I have noticed other PM symptoms over the past couple of years as well - sleep disturbance (not just do to the flushes - restless legs, hypnic jerks, exploding head, itching skin, etc.), aching limbs (joints and muscles - had all blood done for inflammatory arthritic conditions - none), and chronic fatigue; although I still only have used the gel when the hot flushes get bad.

I am now noticing the frequency of the flushes creeping up again, but am not going to use the gel as advised by my GP (the Mirena has a few years left yet, and my GP is happy for it to stay in until my next smear), and I can feel all of my other PM symptoms getting worse too.

I just wanted to ask if there will be point in the future post-HRT when things will get better please?

sheila99

Re: Coming off HRT at 60 - how long will the cold turkey last?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 11:03:12 AM »

Sadly there's no way of knowing. You could be lucky and they'll subside soon or you could be asking the same question in 10 or 20 years time. I don't know the answer but I suspect the fact that your symptoms are getting worse is not a good omen  :(.
  I take it you know the NICE guidelines have been updated and there is no medical reason to stop at 60 assuming you are otherwise healthy?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2021, 12:06:58 PM »

Why stop  :-\ ....... there's no reason if HRT is helping.  If you stop taking your regime, you may find that it won't work if you try to go back on it.

As oestrogen levels drop the body may become dry: inside and out - skin, deep in the ears, nostrils, vagina ........ so you may need a hike in HRT rather than stopping it.  Restless legs can be 'cured' by eating bananas on a regular basis.  Also, muscles may become lax = aches and pains.

Get back to the gel, keep notes on how you feel and explain to your GP that you want to continue at least for the next 10 years ;-). If you want to continue, and if your GP isn't supportive, ask for a direct referral to a Menopause Clinic [not a Gynae!]

Mary G

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2021, 05:07:07 PM »

Badga, why do you want to stop using HRT?  I'm the same age as you but I have no intention of ever stopping HRT.  Did you know that the guidelines have changed and you can take it for life if you want/need to?

From what you have said, you are not ready to stop using HRT completely because you are still having breakthrough symptoms. 

I have noticed that now I am very post menopause, I can take a low dose of oestrogen and be symptom free so in the future, you may find that you are the same but of course we are all different.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2021, 06:05:55 PM »

I had to have a HRT review last week, unfortunately not GP who i normally see and it was obvious this one wants to get me off of it. Just coming up to 5 years use and i am 58. I have no intentions of stopping it.
I thought it was not a good idea to have a Mirena and not be using Estrogen, maybe i have got that wrong though.

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2021, 06:41:27 PM »

If you are post-menopause and have a Mirena then it is possibe that too much progestogen (from the Mirena) can cause endometrial atrophy - in other words over-thinning and potentially ulceration which can cause bleeding or spotting. From a menopause point of view in any case there is no point in having a Mirena on its own once post-meno. Yes as others have said. No need to stop. Using the gel should not be done in a sporadic way - it doesn;t work like that ie it is not like aspirin - take it to cure hot flushes. It is intended to have longer term benefits on the body and the advantage of this is also that it prevents hot flushes. Please consider resuming using the gel if you are able to medically, but use it in a way that a stable dose is taken (applied) daily at a level at which hot flushes at least are eliminated. Hopefully you should then find some of the other symptoms are also reduced. This is from one who is now late 60s and have been using HRT since my early/mid 50's....

Hurdity x

purplebee

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2021, 04:01:46 PM »

Badga, I am 70 and have been using Evorel conti since I was 53. I stopped at age 60 (on the advice of my GP (who now admits he was wrong to ask me to stop) and went through the most awful time. There is no need to stop HRT, you can take it for life. My current GP is very supportive and told me he is prescribing HRT to women 70 and over now for their first time. It's been a godsend for my awful night sweats, aching joints and general well being.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2021, 09:02:26 AM »

Badga - mayB go back to your GP surgery and explain how well you have felt on the regime, how being well keeps you out of the surgery = less cost to the Health Service  ;).  ? let us know how you get on ?

Badga

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2021, 07:19:03 AM »

Thanks everybody for these really useful replies.  I am going to make an appointment with my GP to discuss continued use going forward.

Your sweatily,
Badga x
 ;D ;D

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2021, 08:59:33 AM »

Let us know!